Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood
Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood (known as Daniel Tiger's Neighbourhood in Canada, and in the UK abbreviated to DTN or simply Daniel Tiger) is an American-Canadian animated musical children's television series produced by Fred Rogers Productions, 9 Story Media Group, and 9 Story USA. It debuted on September 3, 2012 on PBS Kids. The program, which is targeted at preschool-aged children, is based on the Neighborhood of Make-Believe from Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, the long-running family-oriented television series created and hosted by Fred Rogers.
|Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood|
|Also known as||Daniel Tiger's Neighbourhood|
|Created by||Angela Santomero|
|Based on||Neighborhood of Make-Believe|
by Fred Rogers
|Written by||Angela Santomero|
|Presented by||Jake Beale (seasons 1-2)|
Devan Cohen (seasons 2-3)
Keegan Hedley (season 4-present)
|Voices of||Heather Bambrick|
Zackary Bloch (episodes 1-23)
Stuart Ralston (episodes 24-49)
Parker Lauzon (episodes 50-60)
Benjamin Hum (episodes 61-present)
Amariah Faulkner (2012-2018)
Jenna Weir (2018-present)
Nicholas Kaegi (2012-2014)
Jaxon Mercey (2014-present)
|Theme music composer||Fred Rogers|
|Opening theme||"Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood Theme (Won't You Be My Neighbor)"|
|Ending theme||"It's You I Like (instrumental)"|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||4|
|No. of episodes||105 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Angela C. Santomero|
|Production location(s)||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (live-action sequences)|
New York City, New York
|Running time||28 minutes (full episode) / 11 minutes (single episode)|
|Production company(s)||Fred Rogers Productions|
9 Story Media Group
9 Story USA
|Distributor||9 Story Distribution|
|Original network||PBS Kids (USA)|
CBC Kids (Canada)
Family Jr. (Canada)
|Picture format||1080i HDTV|
|Audio format||5.1 Surround|
|Original release||September 3, 2012 –|
|Preceded by||Mister Rogers' Neighborhood|
On July 29, 2019, the series was renewed for a fifth season, set for the summer of 2020.
The series centers around Daniel Tiger (son of Mom Tiger and Dad Tiger). The series also features other children of the characters from the Neighborhood of Make-Believe, such as Katerina Kittycat (daughter of Henrietta Pussycat), Miss Elaina (daughter of Lady Elaine Fairchilde and Music Man Stan), O the Owl (nephew of X the Owl), and Prince Wednesday (King Friday and Queen Sara Saturday's youngest son and Prince Tuesday's little brother).
Two 11-minute segments are linked by a common socio-emotional theme, such as disappointment and sadness or anger and thankfulness. The theme also uses a musical motif phrase, which the show calls "strategy songs," to reinforce the theme and help children remember the life lessons. Many of the "strategy songs" are available in albums or as singles under the artist name "Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood."
The program is targeted at preschool-aged children; it teaches emotional intelligence, kindness, and human respect. Its content follows a curriculum based on Fred Rogers' teaching and new research into child development.
The series is co-produced by the Pittsburgh-based Fred Rogers Productions (formerly the Fred Rogers Company and Family Communications), New York City-based Out of the Blue Enterprises, and with animation produced in Canada by 9 Story Media Group with Adobe Animate (formerly Adobe Flash) and music created at Voodoo Highway Music & Post.
Release and availabilityEdit
In 2006, three years after Fred Rogers' death, and after the end of production of Blue's Room, The Fred Rogers Company contacted Angela Santomero to ask what type of show she would create to promote Rogers' legacy. That conversation led to the creation of Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood. PBS initially ordered 40 episodes, which were broadcast between September 3, 2012, and February 21, 2014. PBS Kids renewed the series for a second season of 20 episodes, which premiered on August 18, 2014. On July 7, 2015, the series was renewed for a third season of 25 episodes. On October 11, 2017, the series was renewed for a fourth season of 20 episodes and a one-hour special Won't You Be Our Neighbor, which premiered on July 11, 2018. Cartoon Network UK's sister pre-school channel Cartoonito premiered Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood on March 1, 2016. The series had previously been available for streaming on Netflix before July 1, 2016, when a multi-year agreement for the catalog of many of PBS's children's series with Amazon Prime Video went into effect. A smaller selection of current episodes is also available through the PBS Kids app on several digital media player and tablet/smartphone platforms. It also now airs on international CBeebies channels around the world.
Characters from Daniel Tiger's neighborhood include Daniel Tiger, his little sister Margaret, and their parents Mr. and Mrs. Tiger. In school they encounter a teacher named Teacher Harriet and classmates Miss Elaina, O the Owl, Katerina, Prince Wednesday, and others. The ride a semi-sentient trolley known as "Trolley."
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||40||September 3, 2012||February 21, 2014|
|2||20||August 18, 2014||July 4, 2016|
|3||25||September 5, 2016||July 10, 2018|
|4||20+||July 11, 2018||TBA|
Awards and nominationsEdit
Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood has won and been nominated for several awards in children's broadcasting. It won Silver Parents' Choice Awards in 2013 and 2014, was nominated for the Television Critics' Association Award for Outstanding Achievement in Youth Programming in 2013 and 2014, and was a 2014 Prix Jeunesse International Selection. In 2019, it won the Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Pre-School Children's Animated Program.
- Forbes (August 31, 2012). "A Different Kind of Tiger Mom".
- Ms Santomero has her MA in Child Development and Instructional Technology and Media from Columbia University, Teachers College. See the following reference for verification: Angela Santomero. "Why is the new Mister Rogers' spinoff animated?".
- Owen, Rob (February 12, 2014). "'Daniel Tiger,' renewed for 2nd season, plans a visit to Pittsburgh". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved February 21, 2014.
- "Daniel Tiger's Neighbourhood - Shows - Kids' CBC 1". Kids‘ CBC.
- Dean, Hayley. "What is the amazing magic behind Daniel Tiger?".
The thing is, unlike said dog rescue team, I do believe Daniel Tiger Neighbourhood (DTN) actually does possess some sort of magical powers
- "PBS Kids and Fred Rogers Productions Announce Fifth Season of Emmy-Winning Series "Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood"". The Futon Critic. July 29, 2019.
- The first two albums are Big Feelings and Life's Little Lessons. "Amazon.com: Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood: Digital Music". www.amazon.com. Retrieved 2019-07-26.
- Beras, Erika (October 13, 2014). "Daniel Tiger: Won't You Be His Neighbor?". NPR. Retrieved October 15, 2014.
- Nededog, Jethro (July 31, 2011). "Fred Rogers' Legacy Lives on With a 'Mister Rogers' Neighborhood' Animated Spin Off From PBS". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved October 27, 2012.
- Weisman, Jon (July 30, 2011). "PBS to air new series from Fred Rogers Co". Variety. Archived from the original on January 21, 2012. Retrieved October 27, 2012.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- Santomero, Angela (September 21, 2012). "Mister Rogers Changed My Life". The New York Times. Retrieved September 21, 2012.
- Owen, Rob (September 2, 2013). "A 'very Fred-ish' birthday for 'Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood'". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved January 8, 2014.
- "Season Two of Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood Kicks off with a One-Hour Special" (Press release). Arlington, VA and Pittsburgh, PA: PBS. June 26, 2014. Retrieved June 26, 2014.
- "PBS KIDS re-ups two series".
- "Boomerang UK And Cartoonito UK March 2016 Highlights". RegularCapital.com. Turner Broadcasting System Europe (Press Release). Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- Steinberg, Brian (1 July 2016). "Amazon Snags Exclusive SVOD Rights to Large Chunk of PBS Kids Series". Variety. Retrieved 10 July 2016.
- Brian Steinberg (2015-07-07). "PBS Renews 'Daniel Tiger,' 'Odd Squad,' From Fred Rogers Co". Variety.com. Retrieved 2016-01-07.
- rowleyj (2017-10-11). "PBS KIDS Renews "Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood" for a Fourth Season". fredrogers.org. Retrieved 2018-07-25.
- Wolfe, Jennifer (March 28, 2014). "'Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood' Adds Retail Partners". Animation World Network. Archived from the original on August 24, 2014. Retrieved June 27, 2014.
- "The Television Critics Association Announces 2013 TCA Award Nominees" (Press release). Los Angeles: Television Critics Association. June 10, 2013. Retrieved June 27, 2014.
- "The Television Critics Association Announces 2014 TCA Award Nominees As It Celebrates 30 Years Of The Prestigious Awards Program" (Press release). Los Angeles: Television Critics Association. May 27, 2014. Retrieved June 27, 2014.