Rabbids Invasion (French: Les Lapins Crétins : Invasion) is a French computer-animated television series based on Ubisoft's Raving Rabbids video game series. It is a co-production of Ubisoft Motion Pictures, TeamTO and CNC. The show premiered on 3 August 2013 on France 3. Three seasons, each with 26 episodes, aired between 2013 and 2017. A fourth season aired on France 3 in 2018 and it was released worldwide through Netflix on 1 July 2019. A Mars-set Rabbids Invasion special is in the works.
|Developed by||Jean-Louis Momus|
|Voices of||Damien Laquet|
|Theme music composer||Le Belle Equipe|
|Composer||Le Belle Equipe|
|Country of origin||France|
|No. of seasons||4|
|No. of episodes||104 (312 segments) (list of episodes)|
|Running time||21 minutes (3–7 minute segments)|
|Original network||France 3|
|Original release||3 August 2013 –|
23 June 2017
- Damien Laquet as the Rabbids
|First aired||Last aired|
|0||2||January 27, 2011||February 15, 2012|
|1||26||August 3, 2013||December 6, 2014|
|2||26||October 11, 2014||June 14, 2016|
|3||26||June 21, 2016||June 23, 2017|
|4||26||September 1, 2018||July 1, 2019|
|5||26||August 9, 2019||January 18, 2020|
In October 2010, Ubisoft and Aardman announced a partnership to produce a TV series pilot and several shorts based on Ubisoft's Raving Rabbids franchise. The following year, it was announced that 78 animated episodes would be made by Ubisoft's Montreuil-based studio Ubisoft Motion Pictures as its first in-house production. In the United States, the series premiered on Nickelodeon on 3 August 2013. On 17 December 2013 the series was renewed for a second season of 26 half-hour blocks, with three segments per block. On 16 June 2015 it was renewed for a third season. A fourth season was announced in July 2018. This season was not aired by Nickelodeon, and it instead aired on France 3 and Netflix.
The series airs on France 3 in France. In China, Rabbids Invasion ranked as the most-watched children's television series in 2017, having gathered over a billion views. Disney Channel Asia premiered the fourth season of Rabbids Invasion on 8 July 2019. The series also premiered in the United States on Nickelodeon on 3 August 2013.
Emily Ashby of Common Sense Media gave the show two out of five stars, stating: "Rabbids Invasion tones down the violence for the characters' jump from gaming to the TV, but they still have a lot of fun at the expense of each other and of unsuspecting bystanders, and a lot of their antics would be frowned upon in the real world (using chickens' butts as egg shooters in a mock battle, for instance). Ultimately, though, it's rude, crude, and minimally taxing on viewers' sense of comprehension, so for better or worse, it's bound to appeal to the grade-school set."
At the 2013 Electronic Entertainment Expo, it was announced that Rabbids Invasion would be adapted into an interactive TV series, titled Rabbids Invasion: The Interactive TV Show. The game, which would combine existing television episodes with a series of challenges, was released on Xbox 360, Xbox One and PlayStation 4 in November 2014, requiring a Kinect or PlayStation Camera, respectively.
- Stanley, Patrick (October 10, 2019). "Ubisoft Planning Animated TV Adaptations of Popular Game Franchises (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved October 14, 2019.
- Ubisoft & Aardman to Create Pilot for Animated Television Show Based on Raving Rabbids, IGN
- Keslassy, Elsa (October 6, 2011). "Nick licenses 'Raving Rabbids'". Variety. Retrieved October 6, 2011.
- "Rabbids Invasion: Debut Date Announced and Trailer Revealed". IGN. July 12, 2013. Retrieved July 17, 2013.
- "'Rabbids Invasion' renewed for second season". Polygon. December 18, 2013. Archived from the original on December 20, 2013. Retrieved June 19, 2015.
- Elsa Keslassy. "French Toon Studio TeamTO Sells 'YellowBird' to Universal". Variety. Retrieved June 19, 2015.
- Les Lapins Crétins Invasion (July 10, 2018), Les Lapins Crétins – Teaser Saison 4, retrieved October 17, 2018
- Dickson, Jeremy (September 22, 2017). "With Nintendo's help, Ubisoft grows Rabbids brand in Asia". Kidscreen.
- Emily Ashby. "Rabbids Invasion – Television Review". Commonsensemedia.org. Retrieved August 6, 2013.
- "Ubisoft® Makes Interactive TV A Reality With Creation Of Rabbids® Invasion The Interactive TV Show" (Press release). Ubisoft. June 10, 2013. Retrieved June 15, 2014.
- Anne Lewis (June 9, 2013). "Rabbids Invasion: The Interactive TV Show coming this year". Ubisoft. Retrieved October 10, 2014.