Saregama India Ltd. (Saregama refers to the first four notes of the Indian musical scale) is India’s oldest music label owned by RPSanjiv Goenka Group of companies. The company is listed on the NSE and BSE with its head office located in Kolkata and other offices in Mumbai, Delhi and Chennai. Apart from music, Saregama also produces films under the brand name Yoodlee Films and multi-language Television content.
|Founded||13 August 1946 (The Gramophone Company), 3 November 2000 (Saregama)|
|Vikram Mehra (MD)|
Saregama owns music repertoire across Film music, Carnatic, Hindustani classical, Devotional etc. inall prominent Indian languages. The first song recorded in India by Gauhar Jaan in 1902 and the first film made in Bollywood ‘Alaam Ara' in 1931 were under the music label. Some of the prominent Indian artists who have produced their music with Saregama are Lata Mangeshkar, MSSubbalakshmi, Shamshad Begum, Asha Bhosle, Mohd. Rafi, Kishore Kumar, Mukesh, Jagjit Singh, Pt.Bhimsen Joshi, Pt. Jasraj, Chamkila, Gurdas Mann etc.
In 1901, the company began operations by recording the first song in India, as the first overseas branch of Electrical & Musical Industries Limited, EMI London. On 13 August 1946 it was incorporated as a Private Limited company with the name of ‘The Gramophone Co. (India) Limited'. It was converted into a public company on 28 October 1968 and consequently the name of the company was changed to ‘The Gramophone Company of India Limited'. RPG Group took over the company in 1985 from EMI when the company’s financial health was poor. The name of the company was then changed from The Gramophone Company of India Limited to its current name Saregama India Limited on 3 November 2000. In 2005, the remaining EMI stake was sold off to the parent company.
For first 100 years, the company retailed its products (vinyls, casettes, CDs) under the brand name HMV which was synonymous with film music in India. From 2000 onwards, it started retailing its products under the brand name, Saregama.
Dum Dum Recording StudioEdit
Saregama’s recording studio, called Dum Dum studio, was built in 1928 in Calcutta. It is one of the oldest studios in Southeast Asia. Nobel Laureate Rabindranath Tagore had recorded his songs and poems in his own voice at this studio. Rebel poet Kazi Nazrul Islam's voice was also recorded here. Dum Dum Recording studio was also a house to manufacturing and production of Gramophone Records and thereafter Music Cassettes. With advent of digital formats, the physical formats progressively went out of consumers patronage and consequently, these manufacturing facilities were shut down.
Saregama Carvaan is a portable digital audio player with in-built stereo speakers and pre-loaded with 5000 Hindi songs which are categorised based on singers, lyricists, music composers, moods etc. The device works on a rechargeable battery that lasts up to 5 hours and also supports FM radio and USB drive for streaming songs via Bluetooth.
The pre-loaded music ranges from Kishore Kumar classics, to R.D Burman’s pulsating hits, to timeless love songs or to soulful Sufi tracks – all in their original versions. Carvaan’s music collection also includes the entire Ameen Sayani’s Geetmala countdown collection spanning 50 years.
Saregama Music CardsEdit
Saregama Music Cards are USB memory sticks which comes pre-loaded with 200 HD-quality songs of various genres eg. Legends, Romance, Lata Mangeshkar, Kishore Kumar, RD Burman, Illayairaja etc.
Saregama Classical AppEdit
Saregama Classical, an Indian classical music based streaming app with music of artistes in three major subgenres of Indian Classical music, i.e. Hindustani, Carnatic and Fusion. Works of legends like M S Subbulakshmi, Pt. Jasraj, Pt Bhimsen Joshi, Pt. Ravi Shankar, Usd. Bade Gulam Ali Khan, Karaikudi Mani, N. Ramani, Lalgudi Jayaraman are available as part of the app.
Saregama Shakti AppEdit
Saregama Shakti, an Indian devotional music based streaming app which offers Hindu devotional music from renowned artistes like Lata Mangeshkar, Anup Jalota, Suresh Wadkar, Jagjit Singh, Asha Bhosle etc. The app also offers audio recitals of granths like Tulsi Ramayana, Geeta Govinda, Sundar Kand, Satyanarayan Katha, Sai Satcharitra Granth and Krishna Charit Manas etc. The entire content catalogue of Art of Living is also available on the app.
Yoodlee films is the film division of Saregama India Ltd. through which it plans to produce 100 films by 2022.
Saregama produces content for TV channels in Tamil, Hindi, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam and Bengali.
|1 April 2001 - 30 April 2004||Krishnadasi
|17 May 2004 – 4 June 2006||Sigaram
|3 May 2004 – 30 November 2007||My Dear Bootham
மை டியர் பூதம்
|7 June 2006 – 30 November 2007||Mugangal
|3 December 2007 – 14 December 2012||Athipookal
|16 August 2010 – 20 April 2012||Pondatti Thevai
|29 January 2012 – 10 September 2017||Bhairavi Aavigalukku Priyamanaval
பைரவி ஆவிகளுக்கு பிரியமானவள்
|23 April 2012 – 13 September 2014||Pillai Nila
|17 December 2012 – present||Valli
|6 October 2014 – present||Chandralekha
|9 April 2018 – present||Roja
- "New IPL teams: Sanjiv Goenka's New Rising gets Pune, Intex gets Rajkot". The Economic Times. 2018-12-09. Retrieved 2018-03-23.
- "How data is helping India's oldest music company Saregama revive its fortunes | FactorDaily". FactorDaily. 2017-06-14. Retrieved 2018-03-23.
- "SaReGaMa's production house Yoodlee Film's to release BrijMohan Amar Rahe on 1st December 2017". International Business Times. 2017-11-21. Retrieved 2018-03-23.
- "Saregama India Ltd". Money Control. 2018-03-23. Retrieved 2018-03-23.
- "Saregama India Ltd". The Economic Times. 2018-03-23. Retrieved 2018-03-23.
- "Saregama plans to sell land in revival bid". The Hindu Business Line. 2004-05-08. Retrieved 2018-03-23.
- "The house of vinyl". Livemint. 2010-09-23. Retrieved 2018-03-23.
- "Saregama Hits All The Right Notes With First Campaign For Carvaan". Exchange4Media. 2017-12-04. Retrieved 2018-03-23.
- "Saregama Carvaan Review: Retro Music in a Modern Package". NDTV. 2017-06-23. Retrieved 2018-03-23.
- "SAREGAMA MUSIC CARDS PEN DRIVES". Indiamart. Retrieved 2018-03-23.
- "Saregama Classical, an app for the connoisseurs of Indian classical music". Indian Express. 2015-09-23. Retrieved 2018-03-24.
- "Top 5 Devotional Apps You Need In This Festive Season". Digital Conqurer. 2016-10-14. Retrieved 2018-03-24.
- "Striking a new note, Saregama moves into film content creation". The Hindu. 2016-12-02. Retrieved 2018-03-24.
- "Striking a new note, Saregama moves into film content creation". @businessline. Retrieved 2018-08-17.