Panga (transl. To mess with) is a 2020 Indian Hindi-language sports drama film directed by Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari and produced by Fox Star Studios. The film features Kangana Ranaut, Jassi Gill, Richa Chadda and Neena Gupta. The story depicts the jovial life of a kabaddi player. Filming took place from November 2018 to July 2019 in Panaji, Bhopal, Delhi and Kolkata. The film was released in India on 24 January 2020. The film received critical acclaim, with major praise directed towards Ranaut's performance, and grossed ₹41.71 crore.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari|
|Produced by||Fox Star Studios|
|Written by||Nikhil Mehrohtra|
Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari
|Screenplay by||Nitesh Tiwari|
|Cinematography||Jay I. Patel|
|Edited by||Ballu Saluja|
|Distributed by||Fox Star Studios|
|Box office||est. ₹41.71 crore|
Rooted in the subculture of societal facts, Panga is an emotional roller coaster tale of a middle-class Indian woman, where a forgotten Kabaddi world champion catalyzes an inner desire to give a new meaning to her existing role as a wife and mother and takes an ingenious decision to come back to the sport despite the challenges of age stereotypes and new generation complexities which creates an upheaval in her life as she is torn between societal pressures of family responsibility and love for the sport.
An old man with a stick walking try to wake up his neighbourhood, early in the morning. Jaya Nigam sleeps with her husband in a room in Bhanpur. She is having repeatedly abnormal movement during her sleep in which she kicks her husband, Prashant Sachdeva everynight. Her husband is a railway section engineer. Later that morning, Jaya prepares breakfast for family and make her son, Aditya ready for school, before she goes to work. It is depicted despite having a supportive family she had a dream yet to realise due to being a wife and a mother Adi. Jaya Nigam is a former Kabaddi world champion, never wants to end her passion about the sports. She is propelled both by the arrival of her former teammate Meenu and a push from Adi, who learns of her achievements through Prashant, to return to the sport despite facing challenges of physical fitness and newer, more experienced players. Initially unable to deal with the pressures of a hectic job and the exercise routines that Adi's enthusiasm pushes her through, she finally regains composure and, with support from Prashant and Adi, goes on to mark her comeback to the sport as a mother of a 7-year-old after her story gets noticed again. How she gets back on her feet as the renewed player forms the rest of the story.
- Kangana Ranaut as Jaya Sachdeva, a kabaddi player
- Jassi Gill as Prashant Sachdeva, Jaya's husband, an engineer.
- Richa Chadda as Meenal "Meenu" Singh, Jaya's best friend, former teammate, and a kabaddi coach
- Neena Gupta as Rachna Nigam, Jaya's mother, Prashant's mother-in-law, and Adi's grandmother
- Yagya Bhasin as Aditya "Adi" Sachdeva, Jaya's and Prashant's son
- Megha Burman as Nisha Daas, Jaya's present teammate
- Rajesh Tailang as Mr. Sinha, Indian National Coach
- Smita Tambe as Gauri, Indian team captain
- Lavish Anil Jain in an uncredited cameo appearance
- Manoj Jadhav as Selection executive
- Piyush Seetha as Piyush
Panga was announced on 21 August 2018 with Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari sharing an emotional Instagram video montage of herself, Kangana Ranaut, Jassi Gill, Neena Gupta and their families, indicating that when your kin stands behind you, no one in the world can take ‘panga’ with you. Ranaut told the Mumbai Mirror in an interview: “When Ashwiny narrated the film's story, I was completely moved. My family has been my pillar of strength and have always stood by me through thick and thin. I could really relate to the emotions of the film. Plus, Ashwiny is known for her slice-of-life films and I loved her recent work in Bareilly Ki Barfi. Panga is even more special for me as, for the first time, I will be playing the role of a national-level kabaddi player. That's going to be challenging for sure! I am looking forward to some exciting times with Ashwiny and the Fox Star team.”
Gill who is playing the role of the husband of Ranaut in this film told the Mumbai Mirror: “I loved the script, especially the inspiring family angle. The film is a roller-coaster of emotions but to me the real Indian family feeling was the most heart-warming part of the subject. Since I come from a very close-knit family, I could identify with the story.”
The actors appearing in the film as kabaddi players, including Ranaut, underwent training in kabaddi for over two months.
The film went on floor on 23 March 2017 in Panaji. The first schedule of the film was wrapped up on 7 December 2018. The second schedule of the film was wrapped up on 22 June 2019. The director planned next schedule in a Delhi stadium in April. The third schedule of shooting began in April 2019 in Delhi. The Delhi schedule of the film was completed in mid April and next schedule of shooting to begin in Kolkata. The filming was completed in mid July 2019. Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari, the director of the film wrote on her Instagram account, "My dearest Panga Humans are the sun. The sun that spread a ray of hope when things seem really impossible to achieve."
Marketing and releaseEdit
The first look poster of Ranaut was released on 19 December 2019.
The film was released in India on 24 January 2020.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||21 January 2020|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|1.||"Panga - Title Track"||Harshdeep Kaur, Divya Kumar, Siddharth Mahadevan||3:19|
|2.||"Dil Ne Kaha"||Shahid Mallya, Asees Kaur||4:46|
|3.||"Jugnu"||Sunny Hindustani, Shankar Mahadevan||4:40|
|4.||"Bibby Song"||Annu Kapoor, Sherry||2:50|
|5.||"Wahi Hai Raste"||Mohan Kannan, Asees Kaur||4:28|
|6.||"Dil Ne Kaha" (Reprise)||Jassi Gill, Asees Kaur||3:52|
Panga earned ₹2.70 crore at the domestic box office on its opening day. On the second day, the film collected ₹5.61 crore. On the third day, the film collected ₹6.60 crore, taking total opening weekend collection to ₹14.91 crore.
- "Panga (2020)". British Board of Film Classification. Retrieved 18 January 2020.
- "Panga". Box Office India. Retrieved 2 March 2020.
- "Panga Box Office". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 29 February 2020.
- "Panga, Kangana Ranaut's kabaddi film title announced with emotional Instagram video". Hindustani Times. 21 August 2018. Retrieved 7 March 2019.
- "No 'Panga' with Kangana Ranaut: Director Ashwini Iyer Tiwari on Her Equation with Her Film's Star". India West. 9 November 2018. Retrieved 7 March 2019.
- "Photo: Kangana Ranaut heads for the shoot of her upcoming film 'Panga'". Times of India. 9 November 2018. Retrieved 7 March 2019.
- "Kangana Ranaut wraps up the first schedule of Panga". Times of India. 7 December 2018.
- "Panga: Kangana Ranaut and Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari wrap up second schedule". Bollywood Hungama. 28 February 2019. Retrieved 7 March 2019.
- "My existing reality is a reflection of my dear ones' belief in me. From the team backed by its families. Presenting Panga". Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari on Instagram. 21 August 2018. Retrieved 7 March 2019.
- "Kangana Ranaut-Ahwiny Iyer Tiwari's 'Panga' first look out, movie slated to release next year". DNA India. 7 March 2019. Retrieved 7 March 2019.
- "Panga shoot takes Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari to Delhi". Times of India. 7 March 2019.
- "Photo: Kangana Ranaut enjoys 'Gol Gappas' in Delhi". Times of India. 5 April 2019. Retrieved 6 April 2019.
- "Photos: Kangana Ranaut wraps up the Delhi schedule of her upcoming film 'Panga'". Times of India. 10 April 2019. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- "Panga' wrap-up: Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari thanks her team!". Business Standard. 14 July 2019.
- "Panga FIRST LOOK: Kangana Ranaut laughs with abandon in this heartwarming still from the film". Times Now News. 7 March 2019. Retrieved 7 March 2019.
- "Panga first poster out: Jo sapne dekhte hain woh panga lete hain". India Today. 19 December 2019. Retrieved 19 December 2019.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (7 March 2019). "Release date finalised... Richa Chadha, Jassie Gill, and Neena Gupta and Kangana, ... #Panga to release on 10 Jan 2020... Directed by Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari... Produced by Fox Star Studios. t.co/njw129hxUw" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Panga - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack". Jio Saavn.
- "Panga (2020)". Retrieved 18 May 2020 – via www.rottentomatoes.com.