Tamanna (1997 film)
Tamanna (Hindi: तमन्ना, translation: Desire) is a 1997 Indian drama film directed by Mahesh Bhatt. It stars Paresh Rawal, Pooja Bhatt, Sharad Kapoor and Manoj Bajpayee in the lead roles The screenplay was written by Tanuja Chandra. The story was written by Tanuja Chandra and Mahesh Bhatt. It was produced by Pooja Bhatt.
|Directed by||Mahesh Bhatt|
|Produced by||Pooja Bhatt|
|Written by||Mahesh Bhatt|
|Music by||Anu Malik|
|Edited by||Sanjay Sankla|
Pooja Bhatt Productions
|Distributed by||Spark Films|
The year is 1975, the place is Mahim, Bombay. This is the story of Tikku (Paresh Rawal), a eunuch, the only child of yesteryear Bollywood actress Nazneen Begum. She has fallen upon hard times, is virtually destitute, and is dependent on Tikku, who does make-up/hair-dressing of Bollywood actresses. When she passes away, Tikku is beside himself with grief. After the funeral, he witnesses a woman leaving a child in a garbage bin. Tikku picks up the girl, longing for human company, decides to keep her, names her Tamanna, and brings her up on his own with the help of a close friend, Saleem (Manoj Bajpayee).
When she is old enough, he arranges for her education in St. Mary's High School's hostel. When she completes school, she returns home to find Tikku in the guise of a hijra and shuns him, but subsequently relents. Then Tikku finds out that Tamanna (Pooja Bhatt) is the daughter of Ranvir Chopra, an up-and-coming politician. He tells her, and she goes to their palatial house. Watch what impact this has on the Chopra family and the excuse they have for abandoning Tamanna.
- Paresh Rawal as Tikku
- Pooja Bhatt as Tamanna
- Sharad Kapoor as Sajid Khan
- Manoj Bajpayee as Saleem Khan
- Kamal Chopra as Ranveer Chopra, Tamanna's biological father
- Abha Ranjan as Geeta Chopra, Tamanna's biological mother
- Ashutosh Rana as a contract killer
- Akshay Anand as Jugal Chopra, Tamanna's brother
- Nadira as Nazneen Begum, Tikku's mother
- Zohra Sehgal as Ranveer Chopra's mother
- Sulabha Deshpande as Kaushalya, servant of the Chopra family
- Anupam Shyam as Anjum, Tikku's step-brother
- Reeta Bhaduri as Mother Superior (cameo)
- Kunika as a movie actress, Tikku's client (cameo)
- Baby Ghazala as young Tamanna
- Alia Bhatt as baby Tamanna
- Kunal Khemu as young Sajid
- Shaheen Bhatt as Ashutosh Rana's daughter
Paresh Rawal was critically praised for his role as an eunuch.
This film won National Film Award for Best Film on Other Social Issues in 1998.
The music is composed by Anu Malik with lyrics by Rahat Indori, Makhdoom Mohiuddin Nida Fazli, Indeevar and Kaifi Azmi. Kumar Sanu, Sonu Nigam and Alka Yagnik were selected to sing the tracks. Yeh Kya Hua became a very popular song in 1997.
|1||"Yeh Kya Hua"||Kumar Sanu, Alka Yagnik||Rahat Indori|
|2||"Shabke Jage Huye"||Kumar Sanu||Makhdoom Mohiuddin|
|3||"Uth Meri Jaan"||Sonu Nigam||Kaifi Azmi|
|4||"Ye Aaina Jo Tumhe"||Kumar Sanu||Indeevar|
|5||"Shabke Jage Huye"||Alka Yagnik||Makhdoom Mohiuddin|
|6||"Ghar Se Masjid"||Sonu Nigam||Nida Fazli|
|7||"Aaj Kal Meri"||Alka Yagnik||Rahat Indori|