Milkshake! (stylised as milkshake!) is a British children's television programming block on Channel 5. Aimed at preschool children aged 3-7, the block debuted on 31 March 1997 and is broadcast on weekdays from 06:00 to 09:15 and weekends from 06:00 to 10:00. The block has a number of presenters and features a range of children's programming.
|Picture format||1080i HDTV|
(downscaled to 16:9 576i for the SDTV feed)
|Owner||ViacomCBS Networks EMEAA|
|Sister channels||Channel 5|
|Launched||31 March 1997|
|Sky Go||Watch live|
(UK and Ireland only)
|Now TV (On Demand Only)||Watch On Demand (UK only)|
On 6 July 2017, Channel 5 announced a rebranding of Milkshake! that launched on 24 July, including updated branding, a new studio, and the launch of a YouTube channel that would feature digital content related to the block.
In November 2008, Channel 5 had been set to launch a new children's channel based on its pre-school programming block. This was a response to the BBC launching the CBBC channel and CBeebies in 2002 and ITV launching the CITV channel in 2006, but plans to launch a standalone preschool channel were put on hold indefinitely while the broadcaster awaited a buyer.
Milkshake! on 5StarEdit
When Five Life launched in 2006, Milkshake! was shown on the channel between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. each day. By April 2011, the channel had reduced its broadcast hours and the block was replaced by teleshopping. On 21 August 2017, Milkshake! relaunched on 5Star, where it aired from 9:15 to 11a.m., before a second removal in 2018.
In-vision continuity presenters have been utilised by Milkshake! since the show began on 31 March 1997. The original presenters were Lucy Alexander and Konnie Huq. Huq was replaced by former Nickelodeon presenter Eddie Mathews when she left the show to join the BBC as a Blue Peter presenter.
Notable references in popular cultureEdit
List of presentersEdit
The year in brackets denotes when the presenter began presenting Milkshake!.
- Amy Thompson (2009–present)
- David Ribi (2017–present)
- Derek Moran (2005–present)
- Jen Pringle (2006–present)
- Kemi Majeks (2003–present)
- Kiera-Nicole Brennan (2017–present)
- Nathan Connor (2017–present)
- Olivia Birchenough (2012–present)
- Sita Thomas (2015–present)
- Milkshake Monkey (2009–present)
- Anna Williamson (1997–2005)
- Andrew McEwan (2006–2007)
- Beth Evans (2004–2012)
- Gary Evans (2008–2009)
- Casey-Lee Jolleys (1997–2000)
- Curtis Angus (2014–2017)
- Dave Payne (2007–2009)
- Eddie Mathews (1997–2002)
- Hannah Williams (2006–2009)
- Konnie Huq (1997)
- Lucy Alexander (1997–2000)
- Naomi Wilkinson (2000–2011)
Relief and freelance presenters have also anchored Milkshake! continuity links, including presenter Ellie Harrison and deaf presenter Gary Evans. The longest serving presenter is Kemi Majeks, who has presented the block for 18 years.
- "Five drops Shake! block". Toy News. Retrieved 4 May 2007.
- Five revives Shake! with Disney Broadcast. 24 September 2009.
- "Channel 5 refreshes Milkshake! preschool block". Retrieved 14 July 2017.
- "Five to launch dedicated kids' channel". MediaTel. Archived from the original on 23 January 2009. Retrieved 11 November 2008.