Milkshake! is a British preschool television programming block on Channel 5. Aimed at children two to five years old, the block debuted on 17 September 1997 and is broadcast on weekdays from 06:00 to 09:15 and weekends from 06:00 to 10:00. The block has a number of presenters and features a range of children's programming. Its programmes include shows such as Thomas and Friends, Peppa Pig, Fireman Sam, Paw Patrol, Daisy and Ollie, Ben & Holly's Little Kingdom, Floogals, Wissper, Top Wing, Bob the Builder, and Noddy, Toyland Detective. Programmes for older children also aired from 1997–2002 and 2007–2016 on spin-off Shake!, which used to run on weekends after Milkshake!
|Launched||March 31, 1997|
|Owned by||ViacomCBS Networks EMEA|
|Picture format||1080i HDTV|
(downscaled to 16:9 576i for the SDTV feed)
|Sky Go||Watch live|
(UK and Ireland only)
|Now TV (On Demand Only)||Watch On Demand (UK only)|
On 6 July 2017, Channel 5 announced a rebranding of Milkshake! that launched on 24 July, including updated branding, a new studio, and the launch of a YouTube channel that would feature digital content related to the block.
In November 2008, Channel 5 had been set to launch a new children's channel based on its pre-school programming block. This was a response to the BBC launching the CBBC channel and CBeebies in 2002 and ITV launching the CITV channel in 2006, but plans to launch a standalone preschool channel were put on hold indefinitely while the broadcaster awaited a buyer.
Milkshake! on 5StarEdit
When Five Life launched in 2006, Milkshake! was shown on the channel between 9 am and 1 pm each day. By April 2011, the channel had reduced its broadcast hours and the block was replaced by teleshopping. On 21 August 2017, Milkshake relaunched on 5Star, where it aired from 9:15 to 11am. Milkshake! on 5 Star was later dropped and removed in 2018.
In-vision continuity presenters have been utilised by Milkshake! since the show began in 1997. The original presenters were Lucy Alexander and Konnie Huq. Huq was replaced by former Nickelodeon presenter Eddie Mathews when she left the show to join the BBC as a Blue Peter presenter.
The year in brackets denotes when the presenter began presenting Milkshake!.
- Amy Thompson (2009–present)
- David Ribi (2017–present)
- Derek Moran (2007–present)
- Jen Pringle (2006–present)
- Kemi Majeks (2003–present)
- Kiera-Nicole Brennan (2017–present)
- Nathan Connor (2017–present)
- Olivia Birchenough (2012-present)
- Sita Thomas (2015–present)
- Milkshake Monkey (2009–present)
- Anna Williamson (1997–2005)
- Andrew McEwan (2006–2007)
- Beth Evans (2004-2011)
- Gary Evans (2008-2009)
- Casey-Lee Jolleys (1997–2000)
- Curtis Angus (2014–2017)
- Dave Payne (1997–2009)
- Eddie Mathews (1997–2009)
- Hannah Williams (2006–2009)
- Konnie Huq (1997)
- Lucy Alexander (1997–2000)
- Naomi Wilkinson (2000–2010)
The longest serving presenter is Kemi Majeks for 16 years.
But on 18 September 2019, Jen Pringle returned to Milkshake! after her maternity leave.
- "Five drops Shake! block". Toy News. Retrieved 4 May 2007.
- Five revives Shake! with Disney Broadcast. 24 September 2009.
- "Channel 5 refreshes Milkshake! preschool block". Retrieved 14 July 2017.
- "Five to launch dedicated kids' channel". MediaTel. Archived from the original on 23 January 2009. Retrieved 11 November 2008.
- Limited, GipsyMedia. "5* TV Listings for August 21st, 2017". digiguide.tv.