Power Rangers Samurai
Power Rangers Samurai is the eighteenth season of the American children's television series Power Rangers. With Saban Brands buying back the franchise, the show was produced by SCG Power Rangers and began airing on Nickelodeon and Nicktoons on February 7, 2011, making it the first to use the Saban name since the first half of Power Rangers: Wild Force. As with all Power Rangers programs, Power Rangers Samurai is based on one of the entries of the Super Sentai Series; in the case of Samurai, the source series is Samurai Sentai Shinkenger. Saban Brands have said the show will have a "brighter tone and gets an infusion of fun and comedy that wasn't present in seasons 16 and 17."
|Power Rangers Samurai|
The logo for Power Rangers Samurai (first season)
|Also known as||Power Rangers Super Samurai|
Saban's Power Rangers Samurai
Saban's Power Rangers Super Samurai
|Created by||Haim Saban|
|Based on||Samurai Sentai Shinkenger|
by Toei Company
|Developed by||Saban Brands|
|Directed by||Peter Salmon|
|Opening theme||"Go Go Power Rangers"|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||45 (List of Samurai episodes, List of Super Samurai episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Jonathan Tzachor|
|Production location(s)||Auckland, New Zealand|
Kyoto, Japan, & Tokyo, Japan
|Running time||23 minutes|
|Production company(s)||SCG Power Rangers|
Power Rangers Productions, Ltd.
Toei Company, Ltd.
MarVista Entertainment (International)
|Picture format||720p/1080p (HDTV)|
|Original release||February 7, 2011 –|
December 15, 2012
|Preceded by||Power Rangers RPM|
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (Re-version)
|Followed by||Power Rangers Megaforce|
Power Rangers Samurai is the first Power Rangers season to be shot and broadcast in HD (Boukenger being the first Super Sentai series to be in HD in Japan, with Operation Overdrive, Jungle Fury and RPM using HD footage of the Sentai and almost to be in HD) and to be airing on Nickelodeon. Samurai is split into two 20-episode seasons; the second set of 20 episodes began on February 18, 2012, and is called Power Rangers Super Samurai, Super Samurai is considered the nineteenth season.
The Samurai Power Rangers–Red Ranger Jayden, the stoic leader; Blue Ranger Kevin, the devoted second-in-command; Pink Ranger Mia, the big sister; Green Ranger Mike, the creative rebel; Yellow Ranger Emily, the youngest and most innocent; and Gold Ranger Antonio, the expressive fisherman/tech wiz– fight the evil Master Xandred and his army of Nighloks, who want to flood the planet with the waters of the Sanzu River to bring about the end of civilization.
Saban announced they would be enacting an "aggressive" multimedia focus, with planned apps, games, streaming content, and social media content in addition to live shows and a feature film. The run-up to the new series was promoted by 145 Days of Power Rangers, a daily airing of every Mighty Morphin episode in order. An official Power Rangers Facebook page was also created.
Paul Schrier has a recurring role in the season, reprising his role as Bulk originating from Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Jason Narvy subsequently reprised his role as Skull in the final episode.
For the second batch of episodes airing in 2012, Saban began promoting the season with the title of "Super Samurai" to reflect the upgrades to the Rangers powers (glimpsed already in "Clash of the Red Rangers The Movie"). Actor Hector David, Jr., released an official teaser poster for "Super Samurai" on his Facebook profile.
- Alex Heartman as Jayden Shiba, the first Red Samurai Ranger.
- Erika Fong as Mia Watanabe, the Pink Samurai Ranger.
- Hector David Jr. as Mike, the Green Samurai Ranger.
- Najee De-Tiege as Kevin, the Blue Samurai Ranger.
- Brittany Anne Pirtle as Emily, the Yellow Samurai Ranger.
- Steven Skyler as Antonio Garcia, the Gold Samurai Ranger.
- Kimberley Crossman as Lauren Shiba, the second Red Samurai Ranger.
- Rene Naufahu as Mentor Ji
- Felix Ryan as Spike Skullovitch
- Paul Schrier as Farkas "Bulk" Bulkmeier
- Eka Darville as Scott Truman, Ranger Operator Series Red.
- Jason Narvy as Engene "Skull" Skullovitch
- Tobias Reiss as Scott Truman/RPM Red Ranger (voice)
The Samurai Rangers also played a role in the 2018 comic Book Event "Shattered Grid", celebrating 25 years of the Power Rangers franchise.
Awards and nominations
|2012||2012 Kids' Choice Awards||Favorite TV Actor||Alex Heartman||Nominated|
- "Power Rangers | Seasons | Samurai". Power Rangers Official Website. Retrieved September 22, 2010.
- ""Power Rangers Samurai" premiering in February 2011". Retrieved December 2, 2010.
- Loveday, Samantha (September 23, 2010). "Saban reveals new Samurai theme for Power Rangers". Licensing.biz. Retrieved September 25, 2010.
- "Power Rangers Super Samurai Promo". Retrieved 2012-02-03.
- The Licensing Book, October 2011
- "Saban Brands Super-Charges the #1 Kids Action Show". The Business Journals. January 30, 2012. Retrieved February 5, 2012.
- Harris, Jim (2011-12-19). "Saban". Retail-merchandiser.com. Retrieved 2012-06-11.
- "Cable Top 25: Lebron/D-Wade, 'Pawn Stars,' Durant/Westbrook, D-Rose, 'WWE RAW' Top Weekly Cable Viewing - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers". Tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. Retrieved 2012-06-29.
- Littleton, Cynthia (July 26, 2010). "MarVista to sell 'Rangers' TV library". Variety. Retrieved July 26, 2010.
- Power Rangers Facebook
- "The 84th Annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is Set to Feature New... -- NEW YORK, Nov. 1, 2010 /PRNewswire/ --". 2010-11-01. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- "Original Powers Rangers Cast Member Returns - TV News at IGN". 2011-01-31. Retrieved 2011-01-31.
- Power Rangers Super Samurai: The Complete Season Blu-ray, retrieved October 10, 2016