Dora and Friends: Into the City!
Dora and Friends: Into the City! (or simply Dora and Friends) is an American educational animated television series. A sequel to the original Dora the Explorer series, this series premiered on Nickelodeon on August 18, 2014 and ended on February 5, 2017 in the United States, followed by its Canadian premiere on September 6, 2014 on Treehouse TV.
|Dora and Friends: Into the City!|
|Created by||Chris Gifford|
Valerie Walsh Valdes
|Directed by||George Chialtas|
|Presented by||Fátima Ptacek|
|Theme music composer||Matthew Gerrard|
|Opening theme||"Dora and Friends, Into The City"|
|Ending theme||"Dora and Friends, Into The City" (Instrumental)|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||40 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Grace Vanice|
|Running time||23 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Nickelodeon Animation Studio|
|Distributor||Viacom Media Networks|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)|
|Audio format||5.1 surround sound|
|Original release||August 8, 2011 –|
February 5, 2017
|Preceded by||Dora the Explorer|
|Related shows||Go, Diego, Go!|
Dora, who is now 10-years-old, attends school and lives in the city of Playa Verde. She has five friends: Kate (who loves art), Emma (who loves music), Alana (who is tomboyish and loves animals), Naiya (who is smart and enjoys reading) and Pablo (who enjoys playing soccer). Together, Dora and her friends work together and go on adventures while discovering the secrets of their city. Dora has a magical charm bracelet that helps her get through objects in the way and a smartphone, complete with an app version of the previous series' map to aid her. The characters are all bilingual and speak Spanish in addition to English. However, the Spanish curriculum on Dora and Friends has been expanded to using simple phrases and commands as opposed to solely the single Spanish words used on Dora the Explorer. Season two features the return of characters from the original series such as Boots, Benny the Bull, Isa the Iguana, Tico the Squirrel, Swiper the Fox and Big Red Chicken who appear as guest stars in certain episodes such as the reunion special "Return to the Rainforest," which involves Dora's return to the Rainforest to rescue Map and Backpack after they are swiped from Boots by Swiper, only to be carried off by a strong wind. At the end of that episode, Backpack is repaired and redesigned by Kate after Backpack is torn apart by a cliff on Tall Mountain. The special also introduces a young flower named Bud who lives in Isa's garden and had heard all about Dora's adventures from her. Bud ends up getting sewed up as part Backpack by Kate, though he is perfectly fine with it as he gets to go on adventures with Dora and her friends. Bud helps Backpack find and retrieve objects stored inside her for Dora. In addition to Backpack and Bud, Map returns later in the season following the events of "Return to the Rainforest," effectively replacing Dora's map app. In "For the Birds," older versions of Diego, Alicia, Baby Jaguar (who now goes by just "Jaguar") and the Bobo Brothers from Go, Diego, Go! appear as well. The series had a few guest stars such as Megan Hilty and Christina Milian.
- Dora Márquez (voiced by Fátima Ptacek)
- Emma (voiced by Kaya Thomas)
- Kate (voiced by Isabela Moner)
- Naiya/Backpack (voiced by Alexandria Suarez)
- Alana (voiced by Ashley Earnest)
- Pablo (voiced by Eduardo Aristizábal and Mateo Lizcano)
- Map (voiced by Marc Weiner)
- Cusco (voiced by Lewis Grosso)
- Puppies (voiced by Miguel Cardona)
- Bad Mermaid (voiced by Christina Milian)
A pilot episode titled Dora's Explorer Girls: Our First Concert aired on August 7, 2011 on Nick Jr. in the United States. One month later, it aired on Treehouse TV in Canada. Following the release of Dora's Explorer Girls: Our First Concert, Nickelodeon announced in 2013 that it would produce a spin-off to Dora the Explorer titled Dora and Friends: Into the City! starring Dora as a 10-year-old who goes on city adventures with a group of new friends. The series has been picked up for 20 episodes and had its prime-time premiere on Nickelodeon on August 18, 2014. The show is animated using Toon Boom Harmony. On October 9, 2014, Nickelodeon renewed the series for a 20-episode second season. Reruns also currently air on the Nick Jr. Channel. The show was cancelled on February 5, 2017 after two seasons.
|First aired||Last aired|
|Pilot||August 7, 2011|
|1||20||August 18, 2014||February 5, 2016|
|2||20||September 10, 2015||February 5, 2017|
Dora and Friends: Into the City! premiered on Treehouse TV in Canada on September 6, 2014 and on Nick Jr. in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand on November 3, 2014. Channel 5's Milkshake! strand also premiered the show. In Southeast Asia, the series debuted on March 16, 2015 on Nickelodeon in Singapore, and the Spain on Clan TVE.
- Day, Patrick Kevin (15 August 2014). "'Dora and Friends: Into the City' review: Dora grows up". Los Angeles Times.
- "Nickelodeon Unveils New Generation Of Content For New Generation Of Kids At Annual Upfront Presentation" (Press release). Reuters. 25 February 2013. Retrieved 31 March 2013.
- Villaneda, Rebecca (28 February 2013). "'Dora and Friends': New Spin-off Will Star the Little Latina Heroine". Hispanic Business. Archived from the original on 15 October 2013. Retrieved 31 March 2013.
- "Nickelodeon "Dora And Friends: In The City" TV Show". Nickutopia. 8 March 2013. Retrieved 31 March 2013.
- Peel, Sarah (11 March 2013). "Nickelodeon Announces Dora and Friends: Into the City". BSC Kids. Archived from the original on 13 March 2013. Retrieved 31 March 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (October 9, 2014). "'Dora and Friends: Into the City' Renewed for Second Season by Nickelodeon". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 9, 2014.
- "Treehouse Takes World's Most Beloved Explorer on Her Biggest Adventure Yet with Brand-New Series Dora and Friends: Into the City! Debuting on September 6, 2014". Corus Entertainment (Press release). September 2, 2014. Retrieved September 2, 2015.
- Knox, David (October 21, 2014). "Airdate: Dora and Friends: Into the City!". TV Tonight. Retrieved September 2, 2015.
- "Vamanos! Dora and Friends: Into the City! to Premiere on Monday 3rd November". Viacom UK & Ireland Press (Press release). London: Viacom International Media Networks. October 20, 2014. Retrieved September 2, 2015.