In the Heights (film)
In the Heights is an upcoming American musical drama film directed by Jon M. Chu from a screenplay by Quiara Alegría Hudes. The film is based on the 2007 stage musical of the same name by Hudes and Lin-Manuel Miranda, who appears in a small role and stars Anthony Ramos in the role of Usnavi de la Vega. Corey Hawkins, Leslie Grace, Melissa Barrera, Olga Merediz, Daphne Rubin-Vega, Gregory Diaz IV, Stephanie Beatriz, Dascha Polanco, and Jimmy Smits also star.
|In the Heights|
Teaser poster with the original release year
|Directed by||Jon M. Chu|
|Screenplay by||Quiara Alegría Hudes|
In the Heights
|Edited by||Myron Kerstein|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros. Pictures|
In the Heights is scheduled to be released on June 18, 2021, by Warner Bros. Pictures.
"Lights up on Washington Heights... The scent of a cafecito caliente hangs in the air just outside of the 181st Street subway stop, where a kaleidoscope of dreams rallies this vibrant and tight-knit community. At the intersection of it all is the likeable, magnetic bodega owner Usnavi (Anthony Ramos), who saves every penny from his daily grind as he hopes, imagines and sings about a better life."
- Anthony Ramos as Usnavi de la Vega
- Corey Hawkins as Benny
- Leslie Grace as Nina Rosario
- Ariana Greenblatt as young Nina
- Ariana S. Gomez as 12 year-old Nina
- Melissa Barrera as Vanessa
- Olga Merediz as "Abuela" Claudia
- Daphne Rubin-Vega as Daniela
- Gregory Diaz IV as Sonny de la Vega
- Stephanie Beatriz as Carla
- Dascha Polanco as Cuca
- Jimmy Smits as Kevin Rosario
- Noah Catala as Graffiti Pete
- Marc Anthony as Mr. de la Vega
- Lin-Manuel Miranda as Mr. Piragüero, the Piragua Guy
On November 7, 2008, Universal Pictures announced that they planned to adapt the original musical as a feature film for release in 2011. Kenny Ortega was set to direct the film, which was slated to begin filming in summer 2011. However, the project was canceled in March 2011. In January 2012, Lin-Manuel Miranda stated that the film adaptation was back under discussion. In May 2016, it was announced that Miranda would co-produce the film with Harvey Weinstein and backing from The Weinstein Company.
In the aftermath of numerous sexual misconduct allegations made against Weinstein, his producer credit on the film was removed, with the rights to the film eventually auctioned off to Warner Bros. for $50 million.
In October 2018, Anthony Ramos was cast in the film for an unspecified role, later revealed to be the lead of Usnavi. On November 5, 2018, it was reported that Rita Moreno had begun talks with the studio to star in the film, however shortly afterward this was revealed to be incorrect.
In January 2019, Corey Hawkins was cast in the role of Benny. In April 2019, Jimmy Smits, Melissa Barrera, Leslie Grace, Olga Merediz, Gregory Diaz, Daphne Rubin-Vega, Stephanie Beatriz and Dascha Polanco were cast. In June 2019, Marc Anthony and Lin-Manuel Miranda joined the cast.
- Gans, Andrew. "Universal Plans Silver-Screen Adaptation of In the Heights'", playbill.com, November 7, 2008
- Staff. In The Heights Movie Lands New Screenwriter. Broadway.com
- "Ask a Star: Lin-Manuel Miranda". Broadway.com.
- David Itzkoff. ‘In the Heights’ Movie Gets a Director and a Star. (You’ve Heard of Him.). The New York Times.
-  playbill.com
- Miranda at Work on Heights Film; New Adaption of Potok's My Name Is Asher Lev
- Lin-Manuel Miranda's 'In the Heights' Gets New Life at Weinstein Co. (Exclusive) Hollywood Reporter, Retrieved May 31, 2016
- Siegel, Tatiana; Kit, Borys (June 10, 2016). "Jon M. Chu in Talks to Direct Lin-Manuel Miranda's 'In the Heights' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 11, 2016.
- ‘In the Heights’: Warner Bros. Wins Movie Rights to Lin-Manuel Miranda’s Musical
- Kroll, Justin (October 10, 2018). "Anthony Ramos to Star in Lin-Manuel Miranda's 'In the Heights' Movie (Exclusive)". Variety. Retrieved October 11, 2018.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony; Ramos, Dino-Ray (November 5, 2018). "Interest Swirls Around Rita Moreno For 'In The Heights' But Oscar Winner Not Attached – Update". Deadline. Retrieved November 6, 2018.
- ‘In The Heights’ Finds Its Benny In Corey Hawkins
- Exclusive: Jimmy Smits Joins Lin-Manuel Miranda’s ‘In the Heights’ Movie
- 'In the Heights' Adds Melissa Barrera and Leslie Grace
- Jimmy Smits Joins Lin-Manuel Miranda’s ‘In The Heights’ Film; Olga Merediz, Gregory Diaz Also Cast
- 'In the Heights' Adds Daphne Rubin-Vega, Stephanie Beatriz, Dascha Polanco
- Marc Anthony to Star in 'In the Heights' Movie
- Lin-Manuel Miranda to play Piraguero in 'In the Heights' movie
- "After Yang" (PDF). NYC Media & Production. Retrieved April 30, 2019.
- "Lin-Manuel Miranda, 'In the Heights' director surprise high school performance of musical". EW.com. Retrieved June 3, 2019.
- D’Alessandro, Anthony (April 21, 2020). "'In The Heights' Dances Into Summer 2021". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 21, 2020.
- Fuster, Jeremy (June 7, 2018). "Lin-Manuel Miranda's 'In The Heights' Set for Summer 2020 Release". TheWrap. Retrieved July 19, 2018.
- Galuppo, Mia (March 24, 2020). "Warner Bros. Delays Release of 'In the Heights,' 'Scoob!' Due to Coronavirus". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 24, 2020.