Stephanie Beatriz Bischoff Alvizuri (born 10 February 1981) is an Argentine-born American actress best known for playing Detective Rosa Diaz in the FOX comedy series Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Jessica in the acclaimed independent drama Short Term 12 (2013).
Beatriz at the 2014 Alma Awards.
|Born||Stephanie Beatriz Bischoff Alvizuri
10 February 1981
Neuquén, Neuquén, Argentina
Beatriz was born in Neuquén, Neuquén Province, Argentina, the daughter of a Colombian father and a Bolivian mother. With her parents and a younger sister, she arrived in the United States at the age of three. She grew up in Webster, Texas and attended Clear Brook High School. She graduated from Stephens College in 2002 and moved to New York City to pursue acting. In 2010, she moved to Los Angeles, where she currently resides.
Beatriz had minor roles in the police procedural television series The Closer and Southland, as well a recurring role as Gloria's sister Sonia in the ABC comedy Modern Family. She appeared in the 2013 independent film Short Term 12. Since 2013, she has portrayed Detective Rosa Diaz in Brooklyn Nine-Nine, an action comedy series based around the members of a Brooklyn police precinct. She has had numerous stage appearances at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, Theatreworks USA, The Old Globe Theatre, and Yale Repertory Theatre.
Beatriz stars as Bonnie in the independent feature film, The Light of the Moon, written and directed by Jessica M. Thompson. The Light of The Moon premiered at the 2017 South by Southwest film festival (SXSW), where it won the Audience Award for Narrative Feature Competition. It was positively reviewed in The Hollywood Reporter, which stated that "Beatriz offers a powerful... unflinching, authentic performance" and in Variety, which said the film was "harrowingly effective" and Beatriz's performance was "expertly balanced and judged."
In July 2016, Beatriz revealed via Twitter that she is bisexual. She has described herself as suffering from disordered eating. In October 2017, Beatriz announced her engagement to Brad Hoss.
|2013||Short Term 12||Jessica|
|2014||You're Not You||Jill|
|2016||Pee-wee's Big Holiday||Freckles|
|2016||Closure||Isabelle Davis||Short film|
|2016||Ice Age: Collision Course||Gertie (voice)|
|2017||The Light of the Moon||Bonnie|
|2009||The Closer||Camila Santiago||Episode: "The Life"|
|2012||The Smart One||Natalee||Television film|
|2013–2016||Modern Family||Sonia||3 episodes|
|2013||Southland||Belinda Cargrove||Episode: "Under the Big Top"|
|2013||Jessie||Salma Espinosa||Episode: "Toy Con"|
|2013||Hello Ladies||Gatekeeper||Episode: "The Limo"|
|2013–present||Brooklyn Nine-Nine||Detective Rosa Diaz||Main role
|2014||Top Chef Duels||Herself||Episode: "Jen Carroll vs. Nyesha Arrington"|
|2015||Axe Cop||Hasta Mia (voice)||Episode: "The Center of the Ocean"|
|2017||The New V.I.P.'s||Elena||Television film|
|2017||Bob's Burgers||Chloe Barbash (voice)||2 episodes|
|2016||WIZARD||Elizabeth (voice)||3 episodes|
|2017||Danger & Eggs||Sheriff Luke/Captain Banjo (voice)||4 episodes|
- "Stephanie Beatriz". Listal. Retrieved 26 December 2014.
- Moreno, Carolina (12 December 2014). "'Brooklyn Nine-Nine's' Stephanie Beatriz On How A Badass Latina Breaks Stereotypes". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 8 August 2017.
The lack of focus on nationality is something Beatriz can relate to after being born in Argentina to a Colombian father and a Bolivian mother, with whom she moved at a young age to Texas, where she fostered a love of Mexican culture.
- Davila, Julia (10 August 2013). "A sexy funny lady: Houston actress lands a major Fox sitcom role, sets a gut-busting mission". CultureMap Houston. Retrieved 3 November 2013.
- Bland, Pete (3 October 2013). "Stephens alumna Beatriz cutting it up alongside Samberg on 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine'". Columbia Daily Tribune. Retrieved 6 November 2013.
- Kelley, Seth (18 March 2017). "SXSW Announces 2017 Audience Award Winners". Variety. Retrieved 16 May 2017.
- Barker, Andrew (13 March 2017). "SXSW Film Review: 'The Light of the Moon'". Variety. Retrieved 16 May 2017.
- Rook, Erin (17 July 2016). "Actress Stephanie Beatriz comes out as bisexual on Twitter". LGBTQ Nation. Archived from the original on 14 September 2017.
- Beatriz, Stephanie (7 July 2017). "Brooklyn Nine-Nine Actress Stephanie Beatriz on Battling Disordered Eating". InStyle. Archived from the original on 12 August 2017.
You see, I have an eating disorder. But like a lot of us, mine is a bit hard to define. I don’t purge, so I’m not a bulimic. I do eat, so I’m not anorexic. I’m what I like to call “a disordered eater.”