Andréa Burns (born February 21, 1971) is an American actress and singer, best known for her portrayal of the saucy hairdresser "Daniela" in Lin-Manuel Miranda's Tony Award-winning musical In The Heights, as "Carmen" in Douglas Carter Beane's The Nance alongside Nathan Lane, and "Mrs. Spamboni" in The Electric Company.
|Residence||New York City, New York|
|Occupation||Actress, singer, performer|
Burns was born in Miami Beach, Florida to a Jewish father and a Venezuelan mother. She has described herself as "...a Venezuelan Jewess from Miami who grew up loving Broadway." She spent many summers training at the French Woods Festival of the Performing Arts and is a graduate of Miami's New World School of the Arts.
Burns began her career touring the opera houses of Europe as Maria in West Side Story when she was 18 years old. She has appeared on Broadway as "Belle" in Disney’s Beauty and the Beast, as "Vicki Nichols" in The Full Monty, as Googie Gomez in The Ritz and has sung concerts at Carnegie Hall. Burns was in the original company of Jason Robert Brown’s critically acclaimed Songs for a New World and since has become one of the foremost interpreters of his work. Burns portrayed Lucille Frank in the national tour of Jason Robert Brown's Parade, directed by Harold Prince, for which she received a Touring Broadway Awards nomination for Best Actress. She was also selected by Stephen Sondheim to create the role of Celeste in Saturday Night at Second Stage Theatre.
Her début solo album A Deeper Shade Of Red was described by Playbill as "superb on all counts!" In 2006, “100 Stories," a single she co-wrote with her brother, music producer Mike Burns, rose to the #2 spot on the 2006 Billboard Hot Dance Club Play charts.
Television credits include Marvel Comics's Jessica Jones on Netflix, Kevin Can Wait, Sky Dancers, Law & Order: SVU, Rescue Me, Blue Bloods, The Electric Company (2009 TV series), and Wonder Pets. She can also be heard on the original cast recordings of In The Heights, Songs for a New World, This Ordinary Thursday - The Songs of Georgia Stitt, Saturday Night, It’s Only Life, Dear Edwina, Shine, Broadway Bound, and Broadway Musicals of 1953.
Most recently, Andréa starred as "Lenora" in the 2015 film Akron, an official selection of the Out on Film Festival 2015.
She is married to director Peter Flynn. They have a son named Hudson Flynn who is featured on the cover art of her solo album, A Deeper Shade of Red.
- On Your Feet! (Broadway) as Gloria Fajardo (Originator)
Marquis Theatre Original Broadway Production, 2015
- On Your Feet! (Chicago) as Gloria Fajardo (Originator)
- Smart Blonde (Pittsburgh) as Judy Holliday
- The Nance (Broadway) as Carmen
Original Broadway Production, 2013
- Next to Normal (Hangar Theatre) 2012 Diana
- Ever So Humble (Hangar Theatre) 2012
- Bye Bye Birdie (St. Louis)
The Muny, 2011 Rose "Rosie" Alvarez
- In The Heights (Broadway)
Broadway Transfer, 2008 Daniela
- The Ritz (Broadway)
Roundabout Revival, 2007 Googie Gomez (Standby)
- In the Heights (Off-Broadway)
Original Off-Broadway Production, 2007 Daniela (Originator)
World Premiere, 2006 Manuela
- In This House (New York)
Reading, 2006 Performer
- The Full Monty (US Tour)
National Tour, 2001 Vicki Nichols
- The Full Monty (Broadway)
Original Broadway Production, 2000 Vicki Nichols [Replacement]
- Saturday Night (Off-Broadway)
Off-Broadway Production, 2000 Celeste
- Parade (US Tour)
US National Tour, 1999 Lucille Frank
- Sail Away (Off-Broadway)
New York Concert, 1999 Nancy Foyle
- Songs for a New World (Off-Off-Broadway)
Original Off-Off-Broadway Production, 1995 Performer
- Beauty and the Beast (Broadway)
Original Broadway Production, 1994 Belle [Replacement][Understudy] Townsperson, Enchanted Object [Replacement] Townsperson, Enchanted Object [Replacement] Enchanted Object [Replacement] Townsperson [Replacement]
- West Side Story (European Tour)
European Tour 1992-1993 Maria [Replacement][Understudy]
[Studio Cast, 2008] Performer
[Solo album, 2007]
[The Songs of Georgia Stitt, 2007] Performer
[John Bucchino, 2006] Performer
[Studio Cast, 2004] Performer
[Demo Recording, 2002] Performer
[Studio Recording, 2002] Performer
[Original Off-Broadway Cast, 2000] Celeste
[Original Cast Members, 1995] Performer
- "Cabaret" talkinbroadway.com
- "Hitting New Heights" Archived January 7, 2012, at the Wayback Machine Playbill
-  Archived 2015-06-10 at the Wayback Machine robertwestfield.com
- "Q&A with Andrea Burns". broadwayworld.com. 2009-04-28. Retrieved 2016-08-05.
- "Winners - National Broadway Theatre Awards". Nationalbroadwayawards.com. 2001. Archived from the original on 2002-02-15. Retrieved 2013-06-05.
- "Andrea Burns". BroadwayWorld. 2009-06-04. Retrieved 2013-06-05.