Archana Puran Singh
Archana Puran Singh (born 26 September 1962) is an Indian television presenter and film actress. She is best known for comedy roles in Bollywood movies and as a judge on comedy shows, like Sony TV India's The Kapil Sharma Show. Puran Singh became popular when she played iconic comic roles of Miss Briganza in Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Preeto in Mohabbatein and lately Zohra in Bol Bachchan going through the role of Priyanka Chopra's boss in Krrish. Archana Puran Singh has been judging the television reality comedy show known as Comedy Circus since 2006 and is the only judge to have appeared in all episodes.
Archana Puran Singh
Archana at Comedy Circus Ka Jadoo Grand Finale
|Occupation||Actress, Reality television judge, Model|
|Spouse(s)||Parmeet Sethi (1992-present)|
She made her film debut with Nari Hira's TV movie Abhishek opposite Aditya Pancholi in 1987. Later that year, she starred in Jalwa opposite Naseeruddin Shah, which turned out to be her biggest hit. Later, she did small roles in big banner films like Agneepath (1990), Saudagar (1991), Shola aur Shabnam (1992), Aashiq Awara (1993), and Raja Hindustani (1996); she did item songs in films like the Govinda-starrer thriller Baaz and Suniel Shetty starrer Judge Mujrim.
Thereafter, she has largely restricted herself to supporting roles in Hindi films, often in comedies. Some of her recent films are Love Story 2050, Mohabbatein, Krrish, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Masti and Bol Bachchan. Amongst these, she is possibly best remembered for playing the flirtatious college professor Miss Braganza in the blockbuster Kuch Kuch Hota Hai and Preeto from the blockbuster movie Mohabbatein . In 2009, she starred in the Punjabi film Tera Mera Ki Rishta.
She became a television anchor, with her popular TV show Wah, Kya Scene Hai on Zee TV in 1993, which was followed by the highly successful, Uncensored, in which she introduced High Society (HS) and Low Society (LS) concept, and sitcoms like, Jaane Bhi Do Paro, Shrimaan Shrimati and Archana Talkies on Sony TV India.
Later in her career, she received offers from television producers and most of her serials were successful like Junoon and Shriman Shrimati. She started hosting chat shows featuring celebrity guests.
In 2006, she and her husband hosted another dance reality show Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa (season 1).
Thereafter, she appeared as a judge on comedy shows, including Sony TV India's Comedy Circus. She appeared as a judge in Comedy Circus (season 1) (2006) and Comedy Circus (season 2) (2008). In January 2008, she hosted Kaho Na Yaar Hai on Star Plus, along with her husband, Parmeet Sethi. With the end of Comedy Circus (season 2) in September 2008, it was followed by another show, Comedy Circus – Kaante Ki Takkar. After Comedy Circus – Kaante Ki Takkar, she was the judge of Comedy Circus – Teen Ka Tadka, Comedy Circus Ke Superstar, Comedy Circus Ka Jadoo, Jubilee Comedy Circus, Comedy Circus Ke Taansen, Comedy Ka Naya Daur, Kahaani Comedy Circus Ki, the current Comedy Circus Ke Ajoobe and Comedy Circus Ke Mahabali. She also recently appeared in SAB TV's The Great Indian Family Drama as Begum Paro.
In 2018, She entered as a guest in the Kapil Sharma show in place of Navjot Singh Sidhu. In 2019, she acted as lakhan's mother Radha in tvserial My Name Ijj Lakhan. Presently, she has entered as the judge in The Kapil Sharma Show.
She was born in Dehradun, where she did her schooling at the Convent of Jesus and Mary. She then completed an English Honours degree at Lady Shri Ram College for Women, after which she moved to Bombay to pursue her dream of becoming an actor. She is married to actor Parmeet Sethi. They have two sons, Aaryamann and Ayushmaan.
- Sandeep Aur Pinky Faraar (2019)
- Uvaa (2015)
- Dolly Ki Doli (2015) as Manjot's mother
- Kick (2014)
- Bol Bachchan (2012)
- Haat-The Weekly Bazaar (2011)
- Luv Ka The End (2011)
- De Dana Dan (2009) – Kuljeet Kaur
- Tera Mera Ki Rishta (Punjabi) (2009)
- Kal Kisne Dekha (2009)
- Good Luck! (2008)
- Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye! (2008)
- Money Hai Toh Honey Hai (2008) – Dolly
- Love Story 2050 (2008)
- Mere Baap Pehle Aap (2008) – Inspector Bhawani
- Mera Dil Leke Dekho (2006)
- Krrish (2006)
- The Gold Bracelet (2006) – Baljit Singh
- Nach Baliye (2005) (Mini TV series)
- Insan (2005)
- Rok Sako To Rok Lo (2004)
- Masti (2004)
- Aabra Ka Daabra (2004)
- Enakku 20 Unakku 18 (2003) (Tamil)
- Janasheen (2003)
- Khanjar: The Knife (2003)
- Jhankaar Beats (2003)
- Maine Dil Tujhko Diya (2002)
- Moksha: Salvation (2001)
- Censor (2001)
- Mohabbatein (2000)
- Mela (2000)
- Saamne Wali Khidki (2000)
- Bade Dilwala (1999)
- Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998) – Miss Breganza
- Judge Mujrim (1997)
- Share Bazaar (1997)
- Raja Hindustani (1996)
- Aisi Bhi Kya Jaldi Hai (1996)
- Takkar (1995)
- Pyaar Ka Rog (1994)
- Yuhi Kabhi (1994)
- Aashiq Awara (1993)
- Aasoo Bane Angaarey (1993)
- Mahakaal (1993) Anita / Mohini Parent boyfriend
- Kondapalli Raja (1993) (Telugu)
- Baaz (1992)
- Pandiyan (1992) (Tamil)
- Naalaya Seidhi (1992) (Tamil)
- Shola Aur Shabnam (1992)
- Zulm Ki Hukumat (1992)
- Saudagar (1991)
- Jaan Ki Kasam (1991)
- Hag Toofan (1991)
- Jeena Teri Gali Mein (1991)
- Agneepath (1990)
- Aag Ka Gola (1990)
- Ladaai (1989)
- Shrimaan Shrimati (1989) TV series
- The Perfect Murder (1988)
- Aaj Ke Angaarey (1988)
- Woh Phir Aayegi (1988)
- Jalwa (1987)
- Abhishek (1987) (TV Movie) - Malvika
- Nikaah (1982)
- Face Off – Archana Puran Singh Archived 24 February 2011 at the Wayback Machine Indian Express, 7 July 1998.
- Archana Puran Singh – filmography, The New York Times.
- Alive and kicking The Tribune, 6 May 2006.
- Archana Puran Singh – Biography Archived 21 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- Archana uncensored Times of India, 27 June 2002.
- "Rashami-Shilpa to reprise Reema and Archana's roles from Shriman Shrimati". Times of India. Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- http://www.setindia.com/showinside.php?sid=89 Comedy Circus[permanent dead link] Sony TV India.
- Archana, Parmeet entertain in Kaho Na Yaar Hai[permanent dead link] 30 January 2008.
- Comedy Circus Kaante ki Takkar[permanent dead link] Hindustan Times, 9 September 2008.
- Awards Internet Movie Database.