Shrimaan Shrimati (TV series)
Shrimaan Shrimati was a popular sitcom that first aired on Doordarshan in 1994. It starred Jatin Kanakia, Rakesh Bedi, Reema Lagoo and Archana Puran Singh in the lead roles. It became quite popular due to the good storylines and excellent comic performances from all the lead actors. Shrimaan Shrimati was written by Ashok Patole, directed by Rajan Waghdhare and produced by Gautam Adhikari and Markand Adhikari (popularly referred to as the "Adhikari brothers").
|Written by||Ashok Patole|
|Directed by||Rajan Waghdhare|
Archana Puran Singh
|Theme music composer||Ashok Patki|
|Opening theme||"Shrimaanji Shrimatiji" by Vinod Rathod|
|Country of origin||India|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||143|
|Running time||Approx. 25 minutes|
|Original network||DD National|
|Picture format||576i 4:3 SDTV|
|Original release||1994 – 1999|
Shrimaan Shrimati was built on the premise of "love the neighbor's wife." Keshav Kulkarni (Jatin Kanakia) is married to Kokila (Reema Lagoo). Their neighbours are a popular film actress Prema Shalini (Archana Puran Singh) and her effeminate husband Dilruba (Rakesh Bedi). Keshav is attracted to Prema's glamorous looks and lifestyle, while Dilruba is attracted to Kokila who is a smart elegant housewife. Both of them make use of every possible opportunity (and create many of their own) to flirt with each other's wives, but every time their efforts come to nought.
The other important characters in the TV series are Keshav and Kokila's son Chintu (Ajay Nagrath), their other neighbor Ganga ( Hema Diwan), Keshav's boss Mr. Sharma (Shail Chaturvedi) and his office colleague Gokhale. In 1999, the same TV series was remade in Sinhala titled Nonawaruni Mahathwaruni(Ladies & Gentlemen) starring Vijaya Nandasiri, Kusum Renu, Granville Rodrigo(played by Jayasekara Aponsu after his death) and Sanoja Bibile, which was aired on Sirasa TV. In 2015, a show named Bhabhi Ji Ghar Par Hai! which is largely based on this show started airing on &TV. The main concept of the show was highly borrowed from Shrimaan Shrimati.
Cast and charactersEdit
The central characters reside in a fictitious building " Gulmohar Society" located at Juhu lane, Andheri West.
- Jatin Kanakia as Keshav Kulkarni a.k.a. Keshu, Pappu or Keku. He is the central character in the serial. Keshav is dreadfully confrontational, remorselessly flirtatious and generally distrusting. Generally, he is very disapproving of the actions of his wife, his son, his neighbor Dilruba, his manager at work, and with other office employees. The only person Keshav seems to trust is his colleague and frequent co-conspirator, Gokhale. Most of the show's plots center around Keshav's escapades and its hilarious upheavals. Although he adores his wife and loves her, he is annoyingly faultfinding and taking dirty digs on her. Keshav engages in flirtatious inoffensive behavior with his neighbor and film actor Prema Shalini, and craves her attention. He is also frequently seen flirting with Prema Shalini's friend and guest Sapna, his boss's niece, and other women in his office.
- Reema Lagoo as Kokila Kulkarni a.k.a. Koki. She plays Keshav's wife. She is a smart homemaker and whose admirer is Dilruba Jarnail Singh Khurana.
- Archana Puran Singh as Prema Shalini a.k.a. Doll or Prema ji. She plays a popular Bollywood film actress and speaks with an anglicised accent. Her name in the serial is a pun on real-life popular Bollywood actress Hema Malini. Mostly, she relishes the amorous attention from Keshav Kulkarni, but occasionally resents his dropping by unannounced at her home. Prema also contends with Keshav slipping into her film-making locations and interfering with the filmmakers.
- Rakesh Bedi as Dilruba Jarnail Singh Khurana a.k.a. Dilruba a.k.a. Dil. He plays Prema's submissive homemaker husband, and is rather effeminate by voice and body language. He has a huge crush on Koki
- Ajay Nagrath as Chintu, Keshav and Kokila's mischievous but adorable son. He has a tendency to deliberately and comically jumble up certain words. For instance, he addresses Dilruba as "Dil-bura uncle", which literally translated means "a person with ill will." Chintu always is seen to fail in his academics, and ends up getting it from Keshav most of the time.
- Shail Chaturvedi as Mr. Bablu Prasad Sharma a.k.a. Mr. Sharma, is a director of a pharmaceutical company and Keshav & Gokhale's boss. He thinks of Keshav as a useless and incompetent employee, and often refers to him as "luccha" (meaning "a cheat" in Hindi) or "bhikmanga Kulkarni" (meaning "beggar") and the most popular one, "3rd class aadmi". Keshav thinks of him as a nuisance and calls him "taklu Sharma" behind his back (meaning "bald" in Hindi, as Mr. Sharma is semi-bald).
- Hema Diwan as Ganga Mausi. She is a good friend of Koki and resides along with her husband in Gulmohar society.Ganga mausi is the first person who provides any news/advices to Koki. Both Keshav and Chintu dislike Ganga mausi.
- Vijay Gokhale as Gokhale,Keshav's office colleague and best friend who helps Keshav in his schemes to impress women or in difficult situations but in some cases it backfires for both Keshav and Gokhale.
Shrimaan Shrimati had also been re-telecast on SAB TV, an entertainment channel launched by the Adhikari brothers and later acquired by Sony Entertainment Television. The new season was telecast in 2005 as Aaj Ke Shrimaan Shrimati based on same concept but with a new cast.