Housefull 4 is a 2019 Indian comedy film directed by Farhad Samji and produced by Sajid Nadiadwala under Nadiadwala Grandson Entertainment. The film is the fourth installment of Housefull franchise. It stars an ensemble cast of Akshay Kumar, Riteish Deshmukh, Bobby Deol, Kriti Sanon, Pooja Hegde and Kriti Kharbanda.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Farhad Samji|
|Produced by||Sajid Nadiadwala|
|Screenplay by||Farhad Samji|
|Story by||Sara Bodinar|
|Edited by||Rameshwar S. Bhagat|
|Distributed by||Fox Star Studios|
|Box office||est. ₹267.26 crore|
The film was supposed to be directed by Sajid Khan, who had also directed the first two installments, but was replaced by Farhad Samji due to Me Too allegations. Nadiadwala claimed the film to be the highest budgeted Indian comedy film. The story of the film is based on reincarnation, spanning a period of 600 years from 1419 to 2019. The film was theatrically released in India on 25 October 2019, on the occasion of Diwali to negative reviews but became a box-office success.
In 1419 Sitamgarh, 3 couples are parted away due to an evil conspiracy. 600 years later in 2019 in London, the couples's reincarnations meet again but this time each one of them is marrying the wrong person. History repeats itself and they all land up again in Sitamgarh. How they come to realize about their true love is what forms the crux of the story.
- Akshay Kumar as Rajkumar Bala Dev Singh / Harry
- Riteish Deshmukh as Bangdu Maharaj / Roy
- Bobby Deol as Dharamputra / Max
- Kriti Sanon as Rajkumari Madhu / Kriti
- Pooja Hegde as Rajkumari Mala / Pooja
- Kriti Kharbanda as Rajkumari Meena / Neha
- Chunky Pandey as Pehla Pasta / Akhri Pasta
- Rana Daggubati as Raja Gama / Pappu Rangeela
- Ranjeet as Maharaja Surya Singh Rana / Thakral
- Sharad Kelkar as Suryabhan / Michael Bhai
- Johnny Lever as Winston Churchgate
- Jamie Lever as Giggly
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui as Ramsey Baba
- Manoj Pahwa as Big Bhai
- Parikshit Sahni as Maharaja Parikshitap
- Sham Mashalkar as Darbari
- Prithvi Zutshi as Siskeria
- Saurabh Srivastava as Lakhan
Marketing and release
Koimoi gave 3.5 stars out of 5 and said, "Akshay Kumar, Riteish Deshmukh & Gang Gift Us Punlimited Fun This Diwali." Komal Nahta of Film Information said, "Housefull 4 is not a very entertaining fare and has ordinary merits. On the one hand is the festival period which will work in its favour and on the other hand is the word of mouth which will work against its interests." Sreeparna Sengupta of The Times of India, giving two and half stars out of five, noted that due to general silliness, there were mindless comic moments and scenes of low-brow humour in the film. She opined that it was a drag in portions and jokes were stale. She concluded, "Overall, Housefull 4 ends up as a complete mad caper. Which, if you're a fan of the Housefull brand of comedy, might appeal to you. But if you are not, then proceed with caution. Trade analyst and critic Taran Adarsh gave the film one and half stars out of five and called it as "disappointing". Criticising writing, direction and over the top performances, he noted that it is the weakest film in Housefull franchise, which failed to make audience laugh.
Housefull 4's opening day domestic collection was ₹16.50 crore. On the second day, the film collected ₹17 crore.On the third day, the film collected ₹13 crore, taking total opening weekend collection to ₹46.50 crore.
As of 11 November 2019[update], with a gross of ₹220.51 crore in India and ₹46.75 crore overseas, the film has a worldwide gross collection of ₹267.26 crore and have become sixth Highest gross Bollywood movie of 2019.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||23 October 2019|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
The film's music is composed by Sohail Sen, Farhad Samji and Sandeep Shirodkar, with lyrics written by Farhad Samji, Sameer Anjaan and Vayu. Devi Sri Prasad's original composition of "Ammudu, Let's Do Kummudu" from the Telugu movie Khaidi No. 150 was reused in the song "The Bhoot Song".
|1.||"Ek Chumma"||Sameer Anjaan||Sohail Sen||Sohail Sen, Altamash Faridi, Jyotica Tangri||4:04|
|2.||"Shaitan Ka Saala"||Farhad Samji||Sohail Sen||Vishal Dadlani, Sohail Sen||2:27|
|3.||"The Bhoot Song"||Farhad Samji, Vayu||Farhad Samji, Sandeep Shirodkar||Mika Singh, Farhad Samji||3:58|
|4.||"Chammo"||Sameer Anjaan||Sohail Sen||Sukhvinder Singh, Shreya Ghoshal, Shadaab Faridi and Sohail Sen||4:34|
|5.||"Badla"||Farhad Samji||Farhad Samji||Danish Sabri||2:32|
Director Sajid Khan was originally scheduled to direct the film; in October 2018, in the wake of the ongoing "Me Too" movement in India, Khan was accused by actresses Saloni Chopra, Rachel White and journalist Kma Upadhyay of sexual assault and misconduct. Following the accusations, Khan tweeted that he would step down as director, while lead actor Akshay Kumar tweeted that he was cancelling shooting for the film and that he would not work with the accused until the investigation was complete. Later on, Nana Patekar too left the production in the wake of allegations of sexual harassment by Tanushree Dutta. However, later on, he was given clean chit by investigation agencies and now it is to be looked whether he will be called again for the movie since he was removed from the movie only because he was accused.
- "Housefull 4 (2019)". British Board of Film Classification. Retrieved 21 October 2019.
- Singh, Shalu (2 April 2018). "Akshay Kumar starrer Housefull 4 earns Rs 200 crore even before its shooting! Here's how | Bollywood News – India TV". India TV News.
- "Housefull 4 Box Office". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 12 November 2019.
- "Akshay Kumar and his gang to return with Housefull 4 on Diwali 2019". Indian Express. 27 October 2017. Archived from the original on 27 July 2018. Retrieved 27 July 2018.
- "'Housefull' Team Announces 4th Incarnation Of The Hit Comedy Franchise". Forbes. Archived from the original on 27 July 2018. Retrieved 27 July 2018.
- "Housefull 4 to be released on Diwali 2019, will be directed by Sajid Khan". Business Today. Archived from the original on 27 July 2018. Retrieved 27 July 2018.
- "Sajid Khan replaced by Farhad Samji as Housefull 4 director after sexual harassment accusations". Hindustan Times. 13 October 2018. Retrieved 14 October 2018.
- "Housefull 4: After 'Judwaa 2', 'Baaghi 2' Sajid Nadiadwala and Fox Star Studios join forces again". Zee News. 25 April 2018. Archived from the original on 25 April 2018. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
- "Bobby Deol Excited To Reunite With Akshay Kumar For Housefull 4". News 18. 13 March 2018. Archived from the original on 27 July 2018. Retrieved 27 July 2018.
- "Kriti Sanon to Shoot for Housefull 4 With Akshay Kumar". Times Of India. Retrieved 11 August 2018.
- "'Housefull 4': All you need to know about the film". m.timesofindia.com. Archived from the original on 18 July 2018. Retrieved 12 August 2018.
- "Akshay Kumar to play a 16th century KING in 'Housefull 4'". www.filmsbit.com. Filmsbit News Network. Retrieved 13 April 2019.
- Fox Star Studios (27 September 2019). "Housefull 4 - Official Trailer - Akshay, Riteish, Bobby, Kriti S, Pooja, Kriti K, Sajid N, Farhad - Oct 25". Retrieved 27 September 2019 – via YouTube.
- Punwani, Umesh (26 October 2019). "Housefull 4 Movie Review: Akshay Kumar, Riteish Deshmukh & Gang Gift Us Punlimited Fun This Diwali". Koimoi. Retrieved 26 October 2019.
- Information, Film. "HOUSEFULL 4 | 25 October 2019 – Film Information". Retrieved 26 October 2019.
- Sengupta, Sreeparna (25 October 2019). "Housefull 4 Movie Review : Not so full of comedy". The Times of India. Retrieved 25 October 2019.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (25 October 2019). "#OneWordReview... #HouseFull4: DISAPPOINTING. Rating: ⭐️ ½ Tries too hard to make you laugh, but fails miserably... Bad writing, terrible direction, over the top performances... Weakest film in #HouseFull franchise. #HouseFull4Review" (Tweet). Retrieved 25 October 2019 – via Twitter.
- "Bollywood Top Grossers Worldwide". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 12 November 2019.
- "Housefull 4 - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack". Jio Saavn.
- "He asked me to touch his genitals': Sajid Khan accused by 3 of sexual assault, misconduct". TheNewsMinute. 12 October 2018. Retrieved 12 October 2018.
- Goyal, Samarth (12 October 2018). "Akshay Kumar cancels shoot of Housefull 4 after #MeToo allegations against Sajid Khan, Nana Patekar". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 12 October 2018.
- Shaikh, Samina (12 October 2018). "#MeToo: EXCLUSIVE! Nana Patekar steps out of 'Housefull 4'". Times of India. Retrieved 12 October 2018.