Housefull 4 is a 2019 Indian Hindi-language comedy film directed by Farhad Samji and produced by Nadiadwala Grandson Entertainment and Fox Star Studios. The film is the fourth installment of Housefull franchise, and stars an ensemble cast of Akshay Kumar, Riteish Deshmukh, Bobby Deol, Kriti Sanon, Pooja Hegde and Kriti Kharbanda.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Farhad Samji|
|Produced by||Nadiadwala Grandson Entertainment|
Fox Star Studios
|Screenplay by||Farhad Samji|
|Story by||Sara Bodinar|
|Edited by||Rameshwar S. Bhagat|
Nadiadwala Grandson Entertainment
Fox Star Studios
|Distributed by||Fox Star Studios|
|Box office||est. ₹280.27 crore|
The film was half directed by Sajid Khan, who had also directed the first two installments, but was replaced by Farhad Samji midway during the shooting, due to Me Too allegations. Nadiadwala claimed the film to be the highest-budgeted Indian comedy film. The story is based on reincarnation, spanning a period of 600 years from 1419 to 2019. The film was theatrically released in India on 25 October 2019 during the occasion of Diwali to a mixed critical reception but became a massive box-office success.
Harry (Akshay Kumar) is a barber who frequently gets bizarre flashes of a past era. He runs a barber shop in London with his brothers Roy (Riteish Deshmukh) and Max(Bobby Deol). Harry's forgetful nature causes him to misplace a bag of 5 million pounds which belonged to a gangster named Michael Bhai. As a result, Michael's henchman Big Bhai (Manoj Pahwa) constantly demands them to return the money. To fulfil this demand, the three brothers get engaged to the three daughters of London's rich business tycoon Thakral (Ranjeet): Harry is dating Pooja (Pooja Hegde), Roy is dating Neha (Kriti Kharbanda) and Max is dating Kriti (Kriti Sanon). Mysterious circumstances cause the destination wedding to take place in Sitamgarh, India. On arriving in Sitamgarh, Aakhri Pasta (Chunky Pandey), a bellboy at their hotel, recognises them as reincarnations of people that lived 600 years ago, i.e. in 1419. Harry realises that the flashes he sees have something to do with what Pasta was talking about. To meet him, Harry drives to the nearby town of Madhavgarh where he starts to see the flashes clearly.
In 1419, Rajkumar Bala Dev Singh (Akshay Kumar) of Madhavgarh was banished by his father Maharaj Parikshitap (Parikshit Sahni), since Bala tried to kill him to become King. Bala's servant Pehla Pasta (Chunky Pandey) informs him of Sitamgarh - a nearby kingdom whose King, Maharaj Surya Singh Rana (Ranjeet), is looking for grooms for his three daughters: Rajkumari Madhu (Kriti Sanon), Rajkumari Mala (Pooja Hegde) and Rajkumari Meena (Kriti Kharbanda). Bala plans to marry Rajkumari Madhu, the eldest Princess, so that he becomes the Maharaj of Sitamgarh.
Bala meets Bangdu Maharaj (Riteish Deshmukh), an effeminate dance teacher who has an affair with Mala. Meena is secretly in love with the brave bodyguard of the three princesses, Dharamputra (Bobby Deol). Bala helps the two couples get together and enlists their help for uniting him with Madhu. The plan works and Maharaj Surya Singh Rana announces the wedding of Madhu with Bala, Mala with Bangdu, and Meena with Dharamputra. However, Suryabhan (Sharad Kelkar), Surya Singh Rana's nephew, wants the throne for himself. He kills the brother of Sitamgarh's enemy clan's leader, Gama (Rana Daggubati) and frames the three couples for it. On the day of the wedding, Gama storms into the palace and fights them to avenge his brother. During the fight, Bala realises that he now truly loves Madhu, even though initially she was just the path to the throne for him. During the fight, the wedding mandap (altar) collapses and kills the three couples along with Gama.
Back in the present, Harry realises that the grooms are set to marry the wrong brides. Pasta helps Harry remind Roy and Max of their lives as Bangdu Maharaj and Dharamputra, respectively. Just then, they are introduced to Pappu Rangeela (Rana Daggubati), a qawwali singer and a cousin of the girls. He is the reincarnation of Gama but has no recollection of his past life. Meanwhile, Pasta finds a painting of their past lives' wedding day which shows Bala with Madhu, Bangdu with Mala, and Dharamputra with Meena to make the girls remember their past lives and also to avoid marrying each others love. Before they can show this painting to the girls to remind them of their past lives, it gets in the hands of Pappu Rangeela and he remembers his life as Gama.
Pappu crashes the wedding and a fight plays out. The fight makes Pooja and Neha remember their past lives. Soon, Michael Bhai (Sharad Kelkar), now revealed to be the reincarnation of Suryabhan, shows up at the wedding for his money and shoots Gama. Kriti remembers everything when she sees Michael Bhai and also reveals that the wedding mandap hadn't collapsed on its own - it was broken down by Suryabhan to kill everyone so that he could be the Maharaj of Sitamgarh. Michael Bhai recounts his past life and boasts how he got Gama's brother killed. Pappu Rangeela hears this and pushes Michael Bhai into the collapsing mandap, thus getting his revenge.
The film ends on a happy note with Harry marrying Kriti, Roy marrying Pooja and Max marrying Neha, thus completing their 600-year-old love story.
- Akshay Kumar as Harry / Rajkumar Bala Dev Singh:
Harry is a barber who forgets things that just happened when he hears a loud noise. He is the reincarnation of Rajkumar Bala Dev Singh, a menacing prince who desires for the throne.
- Riteish Deshmukh as Roy / Bangdu Maharaj:
Roy is a barber and Harry's brother. He often mixes up genders while speaking. He is the reincarnation of Bangdu Maharaj, an effeminate royal dance teacher.
- Bobby Deol as Max / Dharamputra:
Max is a barber and Harry's brother. He is short-tempered and often resorts to punching. He is the reincarnation of the brave warrior, Dharamputra.
- Kriti Sanon as Kriti Thakral / Rajkumari Madhu:
Kriti is Max's fiancée and the reincarnation of Rajkumari Madhu, who was Bala'(Harry) fiancée.
- Pooja Hegde as Pooja Thakral / Rajkumari Mala:
Pooja is Kriti's sister, Harry's fiancée and the reincarnation of Rajkumari Mala, who was Bangdu Maharaj's(Roy) fiancée.
- Kriti Kharbanda as Neha Thakral / Rajkumari Meena:
Neha is Kriti's sister, Roy's fiancée and the reincarnation of Rajkumari Meena, who was Dharamputra's (Max) fiancée.
- Chunky Pandey as Aakhri Pasta / Pehla Pasta:
Aakhri Pasta is a bellboy who remembers everything from his past life as Pehla Pasta, who was Bala's servant.
- Rana Daggubati as Pappu Rangeela / Gama:
Pappu is a qawwali singer and the reincarnation of Gama, an extremely strong tribal leader who wants to avenge his brother.
- Ranjeet as Mr. Thakral/Maharaja Surya Bassi: is a rich business tycoon and the reincarnation Maharaja Surya Bassi of Sitamgarh.
- Sharad Kelkar as Michael Bhai/Suryabhan is a gangster and the reincarnation of Suryabhan.
- Johnny Lever as Winston Churchgate / Giggly:
Manager of Hotel Sitamgarh Palace and the reincarnation of Giggly.
- Jamie Lever as Giggly:
The servant of Madhu, Mala and Meena.
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui as Ramsey Baba
- Manoj Pahwa as Big Bhai
- Parikshit Sahni as Maharaja Parikshitap,
Rajkumar Bala's Father
- Archana Puran Singh as Varsha Sinha:
Harry, Roy and Max's mother (photo only)
- Shakti Kapoor as Prabhakar Sinha:
Harry, Roy and Max's father (photo only)
- Sham Mashalkar as Darbari
- Prithvi Zutshi as Siskeria
- Saurabh Srivastava as Lakhan
Marketing and releaseEdit
The film was theatrically released in India on 25 October 2019 during the Diwali festival.
Koimoi gave 3.5 stars out of 5 and said, "Akshay Kumar, Riteish Deshmukh & Gang Gift Us Punlimited Fun This Diwali." Komal Nahta of Film Information said, "Housefull 4 is not a very entertaining fare and has ordinary merits. On the one hand is the festival period which will work in its favour and on the other hand is the word of mouth which will work against its interests." Sreeparna Sengupta of The Times of India, giving two and half stars out of five, noted that due to general silliness, there were mindless comic moments and scenes of low-brow humour in the film. She opined that it was a drag in portions and jokes were stale. She concluded, "Overall, Housefull 4 ends up as a complete mad caper. Which, if you're a fan of the Housefull brand of comedy, might appeal to you. But if you are not, then proceed with caution. Trade analyst and critic Taran Adarsh gave the film one and half stars out of five and called it as "disappointing". Criticising writing, direction and over the top performances, he noted that it is the weakest film in Housefull franchise, which failed to make audience laugh.
Housefull 4's opening day domestic collection was ₹16.50 crore. On the second day, the film collected ₹17.00 crore. On the third day, the film collected ₹13.00 crore, taking total opening weekend collection to ₹46.50 crore.
As of 5 December 2019[update], with a gross of ₹231.67 crore in India and ₹48.60 crore overseas, the film has a worldwide gross collection of ₹280.27 crore and have become seventh Highest gross Bollywood movie of 2019.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||23 October 2019|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
"Bhoot Raja Bahar Aaja" composed by Laxmikant-Pyarelal sung by Asha Bhosle from the 1977 movie Chacha Bhatija was recreated as "The Bhoot Song". Also, the music of the song was remixed from the song "Ammadu let's do Kummudu" composed by Devi Sri Prasad of the movie Khaidi No. 150.
|1.||"Ek Chumma"||Sameer Anjaan||Sohail Sen||Sohail Sen, Altamash Faridi, Jyotica Tangri||4:04|
|2.||"Shaitan Ka Saala"||Farhad Samji||Sohail Sen||Vishal Dadlani, Sohail Sen||2:27|
|3.||"The Bhoot Song"||Farhad Samji, Vayu||Farhad Samji, Sandeep Shirodkar||Mika Singh, Farhad Samji||3:58|
|4.||"Chammo"||Sameer Anjaan||Sohail Sen||Sukhwinder Singh, Shreya Ghoshal, Shadaab Faridi, Sohail Sen||4:34|
|5.||"Badla"||Farhad Samji||Farhad Samji||Danish Sabri||2:32|
Director Sajid Khan was originally scheduled to direct the film; in October 2018, in the wake of the ongoing "Me Too" movement in India, Khan was accused by actresses Saloni Chopra, Rachel White and journalist Kma Upadhyay of sexual assault and misconduct. Following the accusations, Khan tweeted that he would step down as director, while lead actor Akshay Kumar tweeted that he was cancelling shooting for the film and that he would not work with the accused until the investigation was complete. Later on, Nana Patekar too left the production in the wake of allegations of sexual harassment by Tanushree Dutta. However, later on, he was given clean chit by investigation agencies and now it is to be looked whether he will be called again for the movie since he was removed from the movie only because he was accused.
- "Housefull 4 (2019)". British Board of Film Classification. Retrieved 21 October 2019.
- Singh, Shalu (2 April 2018). "Akshay Kumar starrer Housefull 4 earns Rs 200 crore even before its shooting! Here's how | Bollywood News – India TV". India TV News.
- "Housefull 4 Box Office". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 8 December 2019.
- "Akshay Kumar and his gang to return with Housefull 4 on Diwali 2019". Indian Express. 27 October 2017. Archived from the original on 27 July 2018. Retrieved 27 July 2018.
- "'Housefull' Team Announces 4th Incarnation Of The Hit Comedy Franchise". Forbes. Archived from the original on 27 July 2018. Retrieved 27 July 2018.
- "Housefull 4 to be released on Diwali 2019, will be directed by Sajid Khan". Business Today. Archived from the original on 27 July 2018. Retrieved 27 July 2018.
- "Sajid Khan replaced by Farhad Samji as Housefull 4 director after sexual harassment accusations". Hindustan Times. 13 October 2018. Retrieved 14 October 2018.
- "Housefull 4: After 'Judwaa 2', 'Baaghi 2' Sajid Nadiadwala and Fox Star Studios join forces again". Zee News. 25 April 2018. Archived from the original on 25 April 2018. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
- "Bobby Deol Excited To Reunite With Akshay Kumar For Housefull 4". News 18. 13 March 2018. Archived from the original on 27 July 2018. Retrieved 27 July 2018.
- "Kriti Sanon to Shoot for Housefull 4 With Akshay Kumar". Times Of India. Retrieved 11 August 2018.
- "'Housefull 4': All you need to know about the film". m.timesofindia.com. Archived from the original on 18 July 2018. Retrieved 12 August 2018.
- "Akshay Kumar to play a 16th century KING in 'Housefull 4'". www.filmsbit.com. Filmsbit News Network. Retrieved 13 April 2019.
- Fox Star Studios (27 September 2019). "Housefull 4 - Official Trailer - Akshay, Riteish, Bobby, Kriti S, Pooja, Kriti K, Sajid N, Farhad - Oct 25". Retrieved 27 September 2019 – via YouTube.
- Punwani, Umesh (26 October 2019). "Housefull 4 Movie Review: Akshay Kumar, Riteish Deshmukh & Gang Gift Us Punlimited Fun This Diwali". Koimoi. Retrieved 26 October 2019.
- Information, Film. "HOUSEFULL 4 | 25 October 2019 – Film Information". Retrieved 26 October 2019.
- Sengupta, Sreeparna (25 October 2019). "Housefull 4 Movie Review : Not so full of comedy". The Times of India. Retrieved 25 October 2019.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (25 October 2019). "#OneWordReview... #HouseFull4: DISAPPOINTING. Rating: ⭐️ ½ Tries too hard to make you laugh, but fails miserably... Bad writing, terrible direction, over the top performances... Weakest film in #HouseFull franchise. #HouseFull4Review" (Tweet). Retrieved 25 October 2019 – via Twitter.
- "Bollywood Top Grossers Worldwide". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 8 December 2019.
- "Housefull 4 - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack". Jio Saavn.
- deepika.soni (15 October 2019). "हेमा मालिनी पर शूट हुए 'भूत राजा बाहर आ जा' का रीमिक्स है द भूत सॉन्ग". Dainik Bhaskar (in Hindi). Retrieved 24 December 2019.
- "Housefull 4: Akshay Kumar's 'Bala' song took 6 months to get remake rights". Latest Indian news, Top Breaking headlines, Today Headlines, Top Stories at Free Press Journal. Retrieved 24 December 2019.
- "Housefull 4: Akshay Kumar's 'Bala' song was shot in eight hours but took six months for remake rights - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 24 December 2019.
- "He asked me to touch his genitals': Sajid Khan accused by 3 of sexual assault, misconduct". TheNewsMinute. 12 October 2018. Retrieved 12 October 2018.
- Goyal, Samarth (12 October 2018). "Akshay Kumar cancels shoot of Housefull 4 after #MeToo allegations against Sajid Khan, Nana Patekar". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 12 October 2018.
- Shaikh, Samina (12 October 2018). "#MeToo: EXCLUSIVE! Nana Patekar steps out of 'Housefull 4'". Times of India. Retrieved 12 October 2018.