This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017)
1951 in sports describes the year's events in world sport.
- NFL Championship: the Los Angeles Rams won 24–17 over the Cleveland Browns at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum
- January 14 – The National Football League has its first Pro Bowl Game (Los Angeles).
- September 28 – Norm Van Brocklin sets NFL single game record for most passing yards (554) helping Los Angeles Rams beat New York Yanks 48–21.
- Sugar Bowl (1950 season):
- First Division – Tottenham Hotspur win the 1950–51 title.
- FA Cup – Newcastle United beat Blackpool 2–0.
- 29 September − Geelong wins the 55th VFL Premiership defeating Essendon 11.15 (81) to 10.10 (70) in the 1951 VFL Grand Final.
- Brownlow Medal is awarded to Bernie Smith (Geelong)
- 29 September − Port Adelaide wins its fourteenth SANFL premiership, defeating North Adelaide 10.12 (72) to 9.7 (61) after the Magpies lost only one game for the season.
- Magarey Medal awarded to John Marriott (Norwood)
- January 29 – baseball signs a six-year All-Star game deal for TV and radio rights for $6 million
- September 30 – Joe DiMaggio plays in his final career regular season game.
- October 3 – In one of the most famous finishes in baseball history, Bobby Thomson of the New York Giants hits a three-run walk-off home run, immortalized as the Shot Heard 'Round the World, to give the Giants a 5–4 win over the Brooklyn Dodgers for the National League title.
- World Series – The New York Yankees win 4 games to 2 over the New York Giants.
- Japan Series – The Yomiuri Giants win 4 games to 2 over the Nankai Hawks.
- Masters Tournament – Ben Hogan
- U.S. Open – Ben Hogan
- PGA Championship – Sam Snead
- British Open – Max Faulkner
- PGA Tour money leader – Lloyd Mangrum – $26,089
- Ryder Cup – United States team wins 91⁄2 to 21⁄2 over the British team.
- July 14 – Citation winds his 32nd race, the Hollywood Gold Cup, becoming the first equine millionaire.
- Australia – Melbourne Cup is won by Delat
- Canada – King's Plate is won by Major Factor
- France – Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe is won by Tantieme
- Ireland – Irish Derby is won by Fraise du Bois II
- English Triple Crown Races:
- United States Triple Crown Races:
- August 26 – Bill Barilko, Toronto Maple Leafs dies in an air crash
- Art Ross Trophy as the NHL's leading scorer during the regular season: Gordie Howe, Detroit Red Wings
- Hart Memorial Trophy – for the NHL's Most Valuable Player: Milt Schmidt, Boston Bruins
- Stanley Cup – Toronto Maple Leafs win 4 games to 1 over the Montreal Canadiens
- World Hockey Championship
- Men's champion: Canada's Lethbridge Maple Leafs
- NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Championship – University of Michigan Wolverines defeat Brown University Bruins 7–1 in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Speed Skating World Championships
- Australian Men's Singles Championship – Dick Savitt (USA) defeats Ken McGregor (Australia) 6–3, 2–6, 6–3, 6–1
- Australian Women's Singles Championship – Nancye Wynne Bolton (Australia) defeats Thelma Coyne Long (Australia) 6–1, 7–5
- Wimbledon Men's Singles Championship – Dick Savitt (USA) defeats Ken McGregor (Australia) 6–4, 6–4, 6–4
- Wimbledon Women's Singles Championship – Doris Hart (USA) defeats Shirley Fry Irvin (USA) 6–1, 6–0
- French Men's Singles Championship – Jaroslav Drobný (Egypt) defeats Eric Sturgess (South Africa) 6–3, 6–3, 6–3
- French Women's Singles Championship – Shirley Fry Irvin (USA) defeats Doris Hart (USA) 6–3, 3–6, 6–3
- American Men's Singles Championship – Frank Sedgman (Australia) defeats Vic Seixas (USA) 6–4, 6–1, 6–1
- American Women's Singles Championship – Maureen Connolly (USA) defeats Shirley Fry Irvin (USA) 6–3, 1–6, 6–4
- Port Adelaide Magpies 1951 season
- "Epsom Derby | History, Winners, & Facts | Britannica". www.britannica.com. Retrieved 3 January 2022.
- "Pan American Games". FEI. 9 April 2013. Retrieved 19 February 2021.