Gold Cup at Santa Anita Stakes
The Gold Cup at Santa Anita Stakes is a Grade I American thoroughbred horse race for horses age three and older over a distance of 1 1⁄4 miles on the dirt held at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, California in May. The race currently offers a purse of $500,000.
|Grade I race|
Lava Man winning the 2007 Gold Cup
|Location||Santa Anita Park|
Arcadia, California, U.S.
1938–2014 at Hollywood Park Racetrack
|Inaugurated||1938 as Hollywood Gold Cup|
|Race type||Thoroughbred – Flat racing|
|Distance||1 1⁄4 miles (10 furlongs)|
|Qualification||Three-year-olds and up|
The race was not run in 1942 or 1943, due to Hollywood Park being closed and used as an airplane parts storage depot during World War II.
In 1949, the Hollywood Gold Cup, as well as the entire 1949 meeting, was held at Santa Anita Park, due to a devastating fire at Hollywood Park on the night of May 5, 1949. Solidarity won the 1949 running on July 16. The Hollywood Park grandstand was rebuilt and the facility reopened in time for a two-part split 1950 season. The 1950 Hollywood Gold Cup, won by Noor, was held in the second part or Fall–Winter part of the split, on December 9, 1950. The following summer, the race returned to its usual mid-July running and Citation, in his final race, won the Hollywood Gold Cup on July 14, 1951, becoming the first thoroughbred racehorse to hit the career earnings mark of one million dollars.
In 1999, the Blood-Horse magazine List of the Top 100 U.S. Racehorses of the 20th Century was published, and fourteen horses on the list had won the Hollywood Gold Cup: Citation, Affirmed, Round Table, Cigar, Swaps, Seabiscuit, Skip Away, Gallant Man, Challedon, Ack Ack, Native Diver, Noor, Two Lea and Exceller.
In the 73rd running of the Hollywood Gold Cup in 2012, Chantal Sutherland, aboard Game On Dude, became the first female jockey to win the race. Game On Dude had also been Sutherland's mount in the previous year's running, finishing second by a nose to First Dude. The ride had given Sutherland the distinction of being the first female jockey to have a mount in the Hollywood Gold Cup.
Fillies or Mare winnersEdit
Change of venue and nameEdit
Following the closure of Hollywood Park, the race moved to Santa Anita Park in 2014 (where the race was run in 1949 because of a fire at Hollywood Park) and renamed the Gold Cup at Santa Anita Stakes.
The event is a Breeders' Cup Classic "Win and You're In" qualifier.
- 1:58.20 - Quack (1972) (on natural dirt) (New track record, equaled world record)
- 2:00.75 - Rail Trip (2009) (on Cushion Track)
Most wins by an owner:
- 3 - Charles S. Howard (1938, 1939, 1950)
- 3 - Calumet Farm (1951, 1952, 1990)
- 3 - Louis K. Shapiro (1965, 1966, 1967)
- 3 - STD Racing Stable/Jason Wood (2005, 2006, 2007)
Most wins by a jockey:
- 9 - Laffit Pincay, Jr. (1970, 1975, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1986, 2001, 2002)
Most wins by a trainer:
- 8 - Charles Whittingham (1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1978, 1982, 1985, 1987)
‡ 1949 Event held at Santa Anita Park due to reconstruction of Hollywood Park Racecourse
† Futural won the race but was disqualified for interference
- Hollywood Park, July 8, 2009 article
- Christine, Bill (3 July 1994). "Slew Of Damascus Makes Claim to Fame : Horse racing: Gelding who once could have been purchased for $16,000 wins the Hollywood Gold Cup as favored The Wicked North fades badly". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 12 July 2011.