Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai
Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai (lit. What Is This Relationship Called?) (International Title:Not Without My Family) is a Hindi-Language television drama airing on weekdays on Star Plus. It premiered on January 12, 2009 and is the longest running Hindi Indian series. The show is produced by Rajan Shahi under the banner Director's Kut Productions. The series airs on Star Life as Not Without My Family.
|Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai|
Title Montage of Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai
|Genre||Indian soap opera|
|Created by||Director's Kut Productions|
|Written by||Saba Mumtaz |
|Directed by||Romesh Kalra |
|Creative director(s)||Vivek Bahl|
|Starring||Shivangi Joshi |
|Opening theme||Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai By Alka Yagnik|
|Country of origin||India|
|No. of seasons||65|
|No. of episodes||2799 as on December 08, 2018|
|Executive producer(s)||Vivek Jain|
|Production location(s)||Mumbai |
|Running time||20-22 minutes|
|Original network||Star Plus|
|Picture format||576i |
|Original release||12 January 2009– Present|
The show focuses on the daily life of an Udaipur-based Rajasthani family. The story of a young married couple, Kartik and Naira trying to strike a perfect balance between their family values, personal beliefs and circumstances. The series initially focused on Naira's parents, Akshara and Naitik.
A young couple, Akshara and Naitik Singhania, live in a Marwari joint family in Udaipur. They adjust as a married couple, as parents of young children, and as their extended families mature.
Naitik falls into a coma in an accident; four years later he returns to the family and struggles to gain acceptance from his five-year-old son, Naksh. Naitik's mother dies and his father marries a divorcee with two children.
Later, when her husband dies, Naitik's elder aunt blames Akshara and kicks her out of the house; Naitik, Akshara, Naksh and newborn Naira leave their extended family.
The family live in Cape Town for several years. An adult Naksh returns to Udaipur and counsels his grand aunt, who is convinced to forgive Akshara and the family returns. Naksh falls in love with Tara and wedding plans are made, but she breaks up with him minutes before the ceremony.
Teenaged Naira runs away from Akshara and lives in Rishikesh for a time. When she returns a love triangle forms between Naira, her cousin Gayu and Naitik's employee Kartik. Kartik loves Naira and confesses his love to her. Naira considers setting aside her feelings so Gayu can be happy, but after a time Naira confesses her love.
Later, Akshara dies in a car accident and a drunk Kartik is blamed, dividing the families, but Naira proves his innocence and her family accepts him. Kartik's family enters and both the families arrange Kartik-Naira's wedding. Kartik stayed away form his family because he thinks that his father Manish and step mother Suvarna were responsible for his mother Soumya's death. Kartik-Naira marry in grand wedding.
After marriage, Kartik leaves Goenka house along with Naira but later Naira convinces Kartik to return home. Later it is revealed that Kartik's cousin, Mansi was responsible for her mother's death. The couple later work together to help his sister Keerti gain a divorce from her abusive husband. Naira opens her dance academy with Kartik's help facing opposition from Dadi and Goenka family. Under pressure from the family, Naksh agrees to marry Naira's sister-in-law, Keerti. Naira reveals to Kartik that his mother had mental disorder and Manish-Suvarna were not responsible for her suicide.
Kartik-Naira and Naksh-Keerti go to Greece for their honeymoon. Later, it is revealed that Kartik has a step brother Shubham (Manish and Suvarna's son). He has hatred for Kartik as Suvarna had abandoned him when he was born for Kartik. Kartik and Naira bring him in the family and win his love. Kartik reconciles with his parents. Kartik-Naira fight due to misunderstandings but the family resolve their fights and reunite them at Rishikesh. Naira faces pregnancy complications and undergoes surgery.
Later, Shubham becomes a drug addict under the influence of his friend and due to cheat from his fraud girl friend Suhana. Naira comes to know the truth. Naira decides to tell Kartik, but Shubham requests her to hide the truth until he recovers from his drug addiction. Shubham could not control his drug addiction and dies. Before his death, he reveals that Naira knew about his bad habit. Suvarna and Kartik hold Naira responsible for Shubham's death. Kartik tells Naira to leave the house until Suvarna recovers from her pain, but Naira misunderstands Kartik thinking that he does not love and trust her. Naira meets with a accident.
Two years pass, Naira and Kartik stay separate from each other. Naira along with Naitik has shifted to Mumbai while, Kartik is in Udaipur with his family. Suvarna has developed hatred towards Naira and wants to make Kartik remarry with his childhood friend Aashi. On the other hand, Manish sends Kartik to Mumbai for his college project. Naira takes admission in the same college to complete her studies. Both meet each other as a professor and student. Coincidentally, they become neighbors. Initially, they fight with each other but soon start realizing their love.
Suvarna comes to know that Kartik-Naira are together in Mumbai and meets with a accident. Seeing Suvarna's hatred for her and Kartik's pain, Naira gives divorce papers to Kartik. Unwillingly, Kartik also agrees for divorce. During Mansi (Kartik's cousin) and Anmol's (Naira's cousin) wedding, family tries to bring Kaira close but their anger and hatred for each other increases.
Finally Kartik-Naira get divorced on the wedding day. After divorce, Kaira realize their mistakes, anger and love for each other. Kartik-Naira apologize each other for their mistakes and foolishness. They want to get remarried but their families disagree.
Naira discovers that she has a brain clot and may lose her memory or die. She tells Suvarna to make Kartik marry to some other girl so that he forgets Naira and move on in life. Suvarna finally realizes her wrong doings and tells Kartik the truth. Kartik enacts that he is marrying Aashi but later reveals his drama when Naira realizes that her decision was wrong. Singhanias and Goenkas agree for the wedding but, Naira's heath worsens. Doctor tells Kartik that Naira has to undergo surgery next day.
Naira requests Kartik to marry her before surgery and Kaira finally get remarried. Naira is taken for surgery and after much complications, surgery is successful. Kartik brings Naira back to Goenka house as a newly married bride.
Manish's cousin Samarth tries to create differences between Manish and Akhilesh to take revenge from Suhasini Dadi. Kartik-Naira reunite the family and make Samarth part of Goenka family.
Parallel Story Arcs
Parallel with Akshara and Naitik's stories, the stories of their respective siblings also form significant story arcs in the series. Past plots have been built around the lives of Naitik's sisters Nandini and Rashmi. The series has also focused on Naitik's step-siblings. The series also paralleled the story of Akshara-Naitik with that of Varsha-Shaurya, Akshara's best friend and elder brother, respectively.
After several leaps, Naira and Kartik became the leads of the show. Parallel with Kartik and Naira's stories, the series also focuses on the story of their siblings: Naksh, Gayu, Keerti and Shubham.
Currently, parallel with Kartik and Naira's story, the series focuses on the story of Naksh and Keerti.
- Mohsin Khan as Kartik Manish Goenka (Kittu, Mendak) – Naira's Husband, Manish-Soumya's Son (2016–Present)
- Mishka Jain / Ashnoor Kaur / Shivangi Joshi as Naira Kartik Goenka (Princess, Tina, Sherni, Mendaki) – Kartik's Wife, Akshara-Naitik's Daughter (2015) / (2015-16) / (2016–Present)
- Bani / Shivansh Kotia / Rohan Mehra / Rishi Dev as Naksh Naitik Singhania (Lalla, Duggu, Chiku) – Keerti's Husband, Akshara-Naitik's Son, Naira's Elder Brother (2011-12) / (2012-15) / (2015-16) / (2017–Present)
- Mohena Singh as Keerti Naksh Singhania – Naksh's Wife, Kartik's Sister (2016–Present)
- Kanchi Singh / Deblina Chatterjee as Gayatri Nikhil Deora (Gayu), Naira's cousin, Rashmi-Nikhil's daughter, Sameer's step-daughter (2016–17) / (2018-Present)
- Karan Mehra / Vishal Singh as Naitik Raj Shekhar Singhania (Munna) – Gayatri-Raj Shekhar's Son, Akshara's Husband, Naksh-Naira's Father (2009–16) / (2016-Present)
- Hina Khan as Akshara Naitik Singhania – Vishambharnath-Rajshri's Daughter, Naitik's Wife, Naksh-Naira's Mother (2009–16) (Dead)
- Lata Sabharwal as Rajshri Vishambharnath Maheshwari (Shaurya ki Maa) – Akshara's Mother, Naira's Maternal Grandmother (2009–Present)
- Medha Jambotakar as Kaveri Mahendra Pratap Singhania (Bhabhi Maa) – Naitik's Elder Aunt, Nandini's Mother, Naira's Paternal Grandaunt (2009–Present)
- Kshitee Jog as Devyani Raj Shekhar Singhania – Raj Shekhar's Second Wife, Naira's Younger Paternal Grandmother (2014-Present)
- Sandeep Mehta as Raj Shekhar Singhania (Raj Banna) – Naitik's Father, Naira's Paternal Grandfather (2009–Present)
- Sonali Verma as Gayatri Raj Shekhar Singhania (Choti Dulhann, High Command) – Raj Shekhar's First Wife, Naitik-Rashmi's Mother, Naira's Paternal Grandmother (2009–13) (Dead)
- Sanjai Gandhi / Abhijeet Lahiri as Mahendra Pratap Singhania (Daddaji) – Kaveri's Husband, Nandini's Father, Naitik's Elder Uncle (2009–15) (Dead)
- Kirti Sually as Baisa – Naitik's Paternal Aunt, Naira's Paternal Grandaunt (2010–Present)
- Parul Chauhan as Suvarna Manish Goenka (Arpita) – Keerti-Kartik's Stepmother, Naira's Mother-in-law (2016–Present)
- Sachin Tyagi as Manish Kamal Goenka – Keerti-Kartik's Father (2016–Present)
- Swati Chitnis as Suhasini Kamal Goenka (Triveni, Soni, Bubbly) – Kartik's Paternal Grandmother (2017–Present)
- Ali Hassan as Akhilesh Kamal Goenka - Kartik's Paternal Uncle (2016-Present)
- Shilpa Raizada as Surekha Akhilesh Goenka - Akhilesh's wife, Kartik's Paternal Aunt (2016-Present)
- Gaurav Wadhwa as Shubham Manish Goenka (Aryan) - Kartik's Step-Brother, Suvarna and Manish's son (Dead) (2017–18)
- Samir Onkar as Samarth Avadhesh Goenka - Kartik's Paternal Uncle (2018-Present)
- Shreshth Saxena as Lav Akhilesh Goenka - Kartik's Cousin, Akhilesh's Surekha's Twin Son
- Shubh Saxena as Khush Akhilesh Goenka - Kartik's Cousin, Akhilesh's Surekha's Twin Son
- Sanjeev Seth as Vishambharnath Maheshwari (Vishambhar, Hukum Sarkar) – Akshara's Father, Naira's Maternal Grandfather (2009–17) (2018-Present)
- Pooja Joshi as Varsha Shaurya Maheshwari - Akshara's friend, Shaurya's wife, Ananya-Kuhu's mother, Naira's maternal aunt (2009–17) (2018-Present)
- Ather Habib / Yash Gera as Shaurya Vishambharnath Maheshwari - Akshara's brother, Varsha's husband, Ananya-Kuhu's father, Naira's maternal uncle (2009–13) / (2013-17)
- Akshaya Naik as Ananya Ranveer Sharma - Naira's cousin, Varsha-Shaurya's daughter, Ranveer's wife (2015–17) (2018-Present)
- Arjun Kohli as Ranveer Sharma - Ananya's husband (2016) (2018-Present)
- Harbhanda Kaur / Yamini Makwana as Kuhu Shaurya Maheshwari - Naira's cousin, Shaurya-Sneha's daughter (2016) / (2016–17)
- Manu Malik as Omkarnath Maheshwari (Omi) – Akshara's Younger Uncle, Sunaina's Husband, Anshuman's Father (2009–16) (2018-Present)
- Neelima Taddepalli as Sunaina Omkarnath Maheshwari (Choti) – Naira's maternal grand aunt, Akshara's aunt, Omkarnath's wife, Anshuman's mother (2009–17) (2018-Present)
- Aman Sharma / Dheeraj Gumbar as Anshuman Omkarnath Maheshwari (Anshu) - Akshara's cousin brother, Jasmeet's husband, Naira's maternal uncle (2009–16) / (2016)
- Shirin Sewani as Jasmeet Anshuman Maheshwari- Anshuman's wife, Naira's maternal aunt (2013-2016) (2018-Present)
- Khushmeet Gill / Apurva Jyotir as Nannu Anshuman Maheshwari - Anshuman-Jasmeet's son, Naira's cousin (2015–16) / (2016-17)
- Vineeta Malik as Bhairavi Maheshwari (Baddi Nani, Nimmo Didi) - Vishambharnath-Omkarnath's mother, Akshara's grandmother, Naira's maternal great grand mother (2009–16) (2018-Present)
- Nidhi Uttam as Nandini Mohit Agarwal - Kaveri-Mahendra Pratap's daughter, Mohit's wife, Yash-Anmol's mother, Naira's paternal aunt (2009–Present)
- Ayush Agarwal / Shamik Abbas as Mohit Agarwal - Naitik's best friend, Nandini's husband, Naira's paternal uncle (2009–16) / (2016-Present)
- Sanchit Sharma as Yash Mohit Agarwal - Naira's cousin, Nandini-Mohit's adopted son, Rose's husband (2015–17)
- Sippora Zoutewelle as Rose Yash Agarwal - Yash's wife (2016)
- Karan Pahwa as Anmol Mohit Agarwal - Naira's cousin, Nandini-Mohit's son, Mansi's Husband (2016) (2018-Present)
- Shreya Sharma / Vaishnavi Rao as Mansi Anmol Agarwal - Kartik's Cousin, Akhilesh-Surekha's Daughter, Anmol's Wife (2016-2017) / (2018-Present)
- Urmila Sharma / Sunita Rao as Rukmini Agarwal - Mohit's mother (2009–14) / (2014-Present)
- Neha Saroopa as Rashmi Sameer Desai- Gayatri-Raj Shekhar's daughter, Naitik's sister, Nikhil-Sameer's wife, Gayu's mother (2009–16) (Dead)
- Shravani Goswami as Rama Rajendra Deora - Rashmi's mother in law, Nikhil's mother (2011–16) (2018-Present)
- Ashish Kapoor as Nikhil Rajendra Deora - Rashmi's ex-husband (2011–12)
- Mazher Sayed as Sameer Desai - Rashmi's second husband (2015)
- Anshul Pandey as Naman Raj Shekhar Singhania (Naman Suresh Agrawal) - Suresh-Devyani's son, Raj's step son, Muskaan's brother, Karishma's husband, Mishti's father (2014–16)
- Priyanka Udhwani as Karishma Naman Singhania - Naman's wife, Naira's aunt (chachi) (2014–17)
- Aarna Sharma as Mishti Naman Singhania - Naira's cousin, Naman-Karishma's daughter (2015-17)
- Zarina Roshan Khan as Muskaan Alok Awasthi - Suresh-Devyani's daughter, Naman's sister (2014–15)
- Amit Dolawat as Alok Awasthi - Muskaan's husband (2009) / (2014–15)
- Reem Sheikh / Navika Kotia as Prerna Singhania (Chikki) - Singhania's adopted child (2012) / (2013)
- Amardeep Jha as Shankari - Akshara's match-maker (2009–16) (2018-Present)
- Roshan Khan as Gopi Dadi - Bhairavi's friend and maid (2009–14)
- Anand Mani as Bhajinder Singh - Maheshwari's servant (2009–12)
- Sunita Rajwar as Dhaniya Bhajinder Singh - Bajinder's wife (2009–12)
- Rakesh Deewana as Maharaj - Singhania's ex chef (2009–14)
- Unknown as Girja - Singhania's maid (2011-16)
- Unknown as Chitti Maharaj - Singhania's chef (2014-16)
- Divya Bhatnagar as Gulabo- Singhania's maid (2009–11)
- Ali Merchant as Rituraj - Naitik's cousin brother (2009; 2011–12)
- Preeti Sharma as Bindiya - Rituraj's wife (2009)
- Charu Asopa as Sneha - Naitik's worker, Kuhu's mother (2010)
- Alpesh Gehlot as Samar - Akshara's admirer (2012)
- Akanksha Kapil as Antara - Naitik's Lover (2012)
- Vaishali Takkar as Sanjana - Naksh's friend (2015–16)
- Umang Jain as Tara Singh Shekhawat - Naksh's ex fiancé (2015–16)
- Alok Nath as Chandrabhan Singh Shekhawat - Tara's grandfather (2015–16)
- Amal Sehrawat as Sangram Singh Shekhawat - Tara's brother (2015–16)
- Shivam Agarwal as Aditya Singh Shekhawat - Tara's brother (2015–16)
- Veena Jagtap as Nisha - Tara's Friend (2016)
- Sheetal Tiwari as Sukanya - Naira's friend (2016) (Dead)
- Suzanne Bernert as Martha - Rose's mother (2016)
- Nupur Joshi as Soumya Manish Goenka - Kartik-Keerti's mother, Manish's 1st wife (2017) (Dead)
- Tiya Gandwani as Priyanka - Kartik's Maternal Aunt (Masi) (2017-2018)
- Romit Sharma as Aditya Bansal - Karthik's former brother-in-law, Kirti's ex-husband (2017)
- Nikhil Sharma as Raghav - Naira's former friend (2017)
- Shravan Mehta as Kiran - Naira's dance partner and friend (2017)
- Bhuvan Chopra as Ratan - Rajshri's brother, Akshara's maternal uncle (2009)
- Neha Sehgal as Payal - Akshara's friend (2011-15)
- Sonal Shrivastava as Juhi - Naitik's employee (2014)
- Fahad Ali as Vivaan - Gayu's school friend (2016)
- Anurag Nigam as Ankit- Prerna's love interest (2013)
- Shubhangi Atre (Kasturi from Kasturi) (2009)
- Puja Bannerjee (Vrinda from Tujh Sang Preet Lagai Sajna) (2009)
- Shweta Tiwari (Prerna from Kasautii Zindagii Kay) (2009)
- Sara Khan (Sadhna from Sapna Babul Ka...Bidaai) (2009)
- Angad Hasija (Alekh from Sapna Babul Ka...Bidaai) (2009)
- Kinshuk Mahajan (Ranvir from Sapna Babul Ka...Bidaai) (2009)
- Anupriya Kapoor (Taani from Tere Liye) (2010)
- Neha Sargam (Nivedita from Chand Chupa Badal Mein) (2010)
- Pooja Gor (Pratigya from Mann Kee Awaaz Pratigya) (2010)
- Sanaya Irani (Khushi from Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon?) (2011)
- Soumya Seth (Navya from Navya..Naye Dhadkan Naye Sawaal) (2011)
- Krystle D'Souza (Jeevika from Ek Hazaaron Mein Meri Behna Hai) (2011)
- Nia Sharma (Maanvi from Ek Hazaaron Mein Meri Behna Hai) (2011)
- Karan Tacker (Viren from Ek Hazaaron Mein Meri Behna Hai) (2011)
- Anas Rashid (Suraj from Diya Aur Baati Hum) (2012)
- Neelu Vaghela (Bhabho from Diya Aur Baati Hum) (2012)
- Aamir Khan (To promote Satyamev Jayate) (2012)
- Deepika Singh (Sandhya from Diya Aur Baati Hum) (2012, 2016)
- Preeti & Pinky (2014)
- Hiba Nawab (Amaya from Tere Sheher Mein) (2015)
- Kamalika Guha Thakurta (2016)
- Badshah (Dance Performance at Kartik-Naira's sangeet) (2017)
- Shah Rukh Khan & Anushka Sharma (To promote their film Jab Harry Met Sejal) (2017)
- Akshay Kumar, Bhumi Pednekar & Sana Khan (To promote their film Toilet: Ek Prem Katha) (2017)
- Alka Yagnik (Special Performance for a tribute to Akshara on Naksh-Keerti's sangeet) (2017)
- Adaa Khan (Special dance performance on Valentines day) (2018)
- Supriya Pathak (to promote Kichidi) (2018)
Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai has had several crossover episodes with various shows. In 2009, the show had a connection with Sapna Babul Ka...Bidaai. In 2012, the show had a crossover episode with Diya Aur Baati Hum. In 2016, Diya Aur Baati Hum's lead actress Deepika Singh made an entry.
It is produced by Rajan Shahi's Director's Kut Productions.
Reception & Impact
The show is the longest-running Indian television series based on episode count. Hina Khan participated in the 'Power of 49' campaign, in which soap opera actors used their influence to urge women to vote.
The show is also broadcast by Urdu 1 and Star Plus sister channel STAR Utsav. The show generally maintains the top spot among Indian TV serials that aired in Pakistan. The show was beaten three to four times by Kumkum Bhagya that aired on Geo Kahani but recovered its leading position. The show also recorded one of the highest TRP in Pakistan.
- "Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai completes 2700 episodes; cast and crew celebrate its success - Times of India". Retrieved 28 November 2018.
- "'Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai' leap: 'Dream Girl' actor Mohsin Khan to romance grown-up Naira?". International Business Times, India Edition. Retrieved 7 June 2016.
- "Shivangi Joshi will play the grown-up Naira". Times of India. 3 May 2016.
- "There won't be a surprise comeback, says Karan Mehra as he finally quits 'Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai'". Retrieved 12 June 2016.
- "Hina Khan aka Akshara will be missed. A look at her Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai journey, see pics". Retrieved 21 November 2016.
- "Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai: Parul Chauhan & Sandeep Rajora to enter Star Plus show!". India.com. 14 October 2016.
- "Sachin Tyagi in 'Yeh Rishta...'". The Times of India. 24 November 2016.
- "Yash Gera replaces Ather in Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai - Times of India".
- "BALH fame Anshul Pandey bags YRKKH".
- "Anshul Pandey talks about YRKKH".
- "Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai is a big leap for me, says Suzanne Bernert".
- "Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai's Akshara aka Hina Khan is very professional: Suzanne Bernett".
- "Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai: Naira to get kidnapped by Aditya in the show - Bollywoodlife". 20 January 2017.
- "Raghav to take a step ahead with his evil plan in Yeh Rishta". Retrieved 15 December 2017.
- "YEH RISHTA KYA KEHLATA HAI: Meet 'NEW MAN' in Naira's life". Retrieved 2 June 2017.
- "Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai Kaartik and Naaira Marriage Sangeet Badshah Performance - Jansatta". 20 January 2017.
- "GOOD NEWS ! Naagin actress Adaa Khan to ENTER STAR Plus' 'Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai'". 16 February 2018.
- SUBHA J. RAO. "The power of a vote". The Hindu. Retrieved 12 September 2015.
- Prime Time Soap Operas on Indian Television. google.com. Retrieved 12 September 2015.