Star Vijay

Star Vijay commonly known as Vijay TV is an Indian Tamil-language pay television general entertainment channel that was launched in 1994 by N. P. V. Ramasamy Udayar. This channel is a part of Asianet Star Communications (wholly owned by Disney India). It is among the oldest private Tamil television channels in the country. The channel broadcasts from Kochar Jade, Guindy, Chennai, Tamil Nadu.[1] Star Vijay is one of the most watched channels of India surpassing major Hindi GECs.

Star Vijay
Star Vijay logo 2017.png
CountryIndia
Broadcast areaInternational
NetworkAsianet Star Communications
SloganEdhilum Pudhumai. Tamizhan Perumai.
(Innovation in everything, A Tamil’s Pride.)
HeadquartersChennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Programming
Language(s)Tamil
Picture format1080i HDTV
(downscaled to letterboxed 576i for the SDTV feed)
Ownership
OwnerThe Walt Disney Company
Sister channelsAsianet
Star Suvarna
Star Vijay Super
Star Vijay Music
History
Launched24 November 1994; 26 years ago (1994-11-24)
Former namesGolden Eagle Communication (GEC) (until 1995)

Star Vijay changed hands several times before being partly acquired by the Star TV network in 2001.[2]

HistoryEdit

The channel was first launched by N. P. V. Ramasamy Udayar on 24 November 1994, as Golden Eagle Communication (GEC).[3] United Breweries Group acquired the channel in 1995 and renamed it as Vijay TV.[4] The UTV Group bought the controlling interest from United Breweries Group in 1999 for 180 million.[5] In 2001, Star India took over the channel and rebranded it as Star Vijay.[6] Star acquired 51 percent stake in Vijay TV with UTV holding the remaining 49 percent.[7] In 2004, UTV Software Communications offloaded its entire 44 percent stake in Vijay TV to Star India.[6][8]

This channel, along with Star One, was launched in Hong Kong in 2007.[9]

The high-definition feed, Star Vijay HD, was launched on 29 May 2016.[10]

On 24 November 2016, its siblings channel Star Vijay Super was launched, which airs non-stop films and legacy television shows.[11]

On 25 June 2017, Star Vijay underwent a revamp on its logo and branding that matched the rest of its sister channels of Star India. Now the channel a part of Asianet Star Communications

On 4 October 2020, it launched a music channel named Star Vijay music.[12][13]

LogosEdit

ProgrammingEdit

Star Vijay has produced numerous reality shows including Jodi Number One, Airtel Super Singer, Neeya Naana, Adhu Idhu Edhu, Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi and Nadanthathu Enna. It also has serial such as Kana Kaanum Kaalangal, Roja Kootam, 7C, Katthu Karuppu, Khakhi, Madurai, Pirivom Santhipom, Saravanan Meenatchi, and Pandian Stores.

ReceptionEdit

When the channel was taken over by Star India from UTV Communications, the revenue, shares and advertising rates of the channel had an increase.[14] Post revamp in 2017 with a new logo and with the launch of Bigg Boss Tamil, the share of the channel which was before between 10-15% had an increase in 10% then, being the second most watched Tamil television channel.[15]

In week 48 of 2020, Star Vijay became the most watched Tamil GEC in prime time for the first time pushing the two decades Tamil GEC leader Sun TV to second position while being the second most watched Tamil GEC overall after Sun TV.[16]

ReferencesEdit

  1. ^ "Vijay Television-Google Maps". 1 February 2019. Retrieved 1 February 2019.
  2. ^ https://m.timesofindia.com/business/india-business/Star-buys-UTV-in-Vijay-TV/articleshow/808782.cms. Missing or empty |title= (help)
  3. ^ "From Booze To News". Outlook India.
  4. ^ http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/new-satellite-channels-exploit-public-fixation-in-tamil-nadu/1/280838.html
  5. ^ "Star, UTV to sign a deal on Vijay TV handover Wednesday?". Indian Television.
  6. ^ a b "Star India buys out UTV's stake in Vijay TV". Economic Times.
  7. ^ "Star restructuring Vijay TV".
  8. ^ "UTV sells Vijay TV pie to Star". Rediff.
  9. ^ "STAR launches Star One and Vijay in Hong Kong". Live Mint.
  10. ^ "Star Vijay launches Vijay HD". The Times of India. 5 June 2016. Retrieved 26 July 2016.
  11. ^ "Vijay Super to be revamped as Tamil movie channel". Television Post.
  12. ^ "Broadcasters see value in new channel launches despite covid". Live Mint.
  13. ^ "Bigg Boss Tamil Season 4 premiere: Kamal Haasan adds some color to grim 2020". India Today.
  14. ^ "Vijay Tv Revenues Increase Post-Star Alliance". Business Standard.
  15. ^ "Vijay TV gets a 'Bigg' viewership bump". The Hindu.
  16. ^ "Hindi GEC viewership dips due as IPL 2020 begins". The Economic Times. 6 October 2020. Archived from the original on 15 December 2020. Retrieved 15 December 2020.

External linksEdit