The Life Scientific
The Life Scientific is a BBC Radio 4 science programme, presented by Professor Jim Al-Khalili , in which each episode is dedicated to the biography and work of one living scientist. The programme consists of an interview between Jim al-Khalili and the featured scientist. A variety of third parties contribute anecdotes about each programme's subject.
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Home station||BBC Radio 4|
|Hosted by||Jim Al-Khalili|
|Original release||11 October 2011– present|
|No. of episodes||201 (As of 19 November 2019[update])|
The programme is broadcast on Tuesday mornings in the United Kingdom, and is available online and via BBC Sounds, as is an archive of past episodes. The programme's BBC Programme Identifier (PID; a unique identifier) is b015sqc7 and there have been over 200 broadcast episodes since it began eight years ago.
Guests have included:
|Paul Nurse||11 October 2011||Biology, winning the Nobel Prize and being President of the Royal Society|||
|Steven Pinker||18 October 2011||Science writing and cognitive psychology|||
|Jocelyn Bell Burnell||25 October 2011||Astronomy|||
|Michael Marmot||1 November 2011||How stress kills|||
|Colin Blakemore||8 November 2011||Neuroscience|||
|Molly Stevens||15 November 2011||Growing human bones in a test tube|||
|Nicola Clayton||22 November 2011||The intelligence of birds|||
|John Sulston||29 November 2011||Biology|||
|Uta Frith||6 December 2011||Changing how we view brain disorders|||
|Tim Hunt||13 December 2011||Molecular biology and winning the Nobel Prize|||
|Robert Winston||20 December 2011||IVF, the House of Lords and scientists' ethical responsiility|||
|Colin Pillinger||27 December 2011||Life on Mars|||
|Robin Murray||7 February 2012||The cause of schizophrenia|||
|Chris Stringer||14 February 2012||Paleoanthropology and who our ancestors were|||
|Tony Ryan||21 February 2012||The future of nanotechnology|||
|Iain Chalmers||28 February 2012||Health services||
|Martin Rees||6 March 2012||The multiverse||
|John Lawton||13 March 2012||Ecology|
|Tejinder Virdee||20 March 2012||The search for the Higgs boson|
|Angela Gallop||27 March 2012||Forensic science|
|James Lovelock||8 May 2012||The Gaia hypothesis, microwave ovens|||
|Frances Ashcroft||15 May 2012||The link between blood sugar and insulin|
|Lloyd Peck||22 May 2012||Giant sea spiders|
|Barbara Sahakian||29 May 2012||Alzheimer's Disease|
|Bob May||5 June 2012||Public trust||
|John Pickett||12 June 2012||GM wheat|
|Steve Jones||7 August 2012||Snail studies|
|Pat Wolseley||14 August 2012||Her obsession with lichen|
|Martin Siegert||21 August 2012||Under the Antarctic ice|
|Ann Dowling||28 August 2012||Silent aircraft||
|Richard Dawkins||4 September 2012||Being a biologist and author|
|Andrea Sella||11 September 2012||Why my chemistry demonstrations are filling theatres|
|David Nutt||18 September 2012||Research into drugs and the brain|
|Sunetra Gupta||25 September 2012||Being a scientist and novelist|
|Mark Walport||2 October 2012||Being Government Chief Scientific Advisor|
|Hugh Montgomery||9 October 2012||The gene for fitness|
|Monica Grady||16 October 2012||Life on Mars|
|Jared Diamond||4 December 2012||Gall bladders, global history and the birds of Papua New Guinea||
|John Gurdon||18 December 2012||Cloning a frog decades before Dolly the Sheep|
|Amoret Whitaker||8 January 2013||Insects and their role in helping solve crimes|||
|Robert Mair||15 January 2013||Tunnelling under Big Ben, Crossrail and engineering for the future|||
|Annette Karmiloff-Smith||22 January 2013||Should babies under two watch TV?|||
|Noel Sharkey||29 January 2013||Robotics and psychology|||
|Valerie Beral||5 February 2013||Breast cancer|||
|Alan Watson||19 February 2013||His quest to discover the source of cosmic rays|||
|Sue Ion||26 February 2013||Working in the nuclear industry|||
|Nancy Rothwell||7 May 2013||Neuroscience|||
|Sanjeev Gupta||14 May 2013||What links the English Channel to valleys on Mars?|||
|John Krebs||21 May 2013||Birds, foot and mouth disease and badgers|||
|Linda Partridge||28 May 2013||The science of longevity|||
|Athene Donald||4 June 2013||The physics behind everyday stuff|||
|Ewan Birney||11 June 2013||Deciphering the human genome and junk DNA|||
|David Spiegelhalter||18 June 2013||Risk and uncertainty|||
|Elizabeth Stokoe||25 June 2013||Studying real-life conversations|||
|Russell Foster||20 August 2013||Circadian rhythms and jet lag|||
|Joanna Haigh||27 August 2013||Climate|||
|Mark Lythgoe||3 September 2013||Medical imaging and mountain climbing|||
|Michael Benton||10 September 2013||Digging up dinosaurs in remote places|||
|Ian Stewart||17 September 2013||Sci-fi and popularising maths|||
|Sophie Scott||24 September 2013||The science of laughter|||
|Jenny Graves||1 October 2013||Kangaroos and the death of the Y chromosome|||
|Wendy Hall||8 October 2013||The development of the web|||
|Peter Higgs||18 February 2014||The real story of the Higgs boson|||
|Sue Black||25 February 2014||Identifying human bodies|||
|Vikram Patel||4 March 2014||Global mental health|||
|Mark Miodownik||11 March 2014||Nuclear weapons, 3D printers and smart materials|||
|Anne Glover||18 March 2014||Glow-in-the-dark bacteria and advising ministers|||
|Alf Adams||25 March 2014||His small idea that changed the world (the strained-layer quantum-well laser)|||
|Veronica van Heyningen||1 April 2014||The gene that builds the eye|||
|Julia Slingo||8 April 2014||Being chief scientist at the Met Office|||
|Michael Rutter||3 June 2014||Child psychiatry|||
|Janet Hemingway||10 June 2014||Malaria and the coming of insecticide resistance|||
|Chris Lintott||17 June 2014||Crowd sourced astronomy and Galaxy Zoo|||
|Sandra Knapp||24 June 2014||Her adventures collecting plants in South America|||
|Christopher Llewellyn Smith||1 July 2014||Nuclear fusion|||
|Zoe Shipton||8 July 2014||Fracking|||
|Jeremy Farrar||15 July 2014||Fighting viruses|||
|Carol Robinson||22 July 2014||Chemistry|||
|Brian Cox||23 September 2014||Quantum mechanics|||
|Jackie Akhavan||30 September 2014||Explosives|||
|Elspeth Garman||7 October 2014||Crystallography|||
|Chris Toumazou||14 October 2014||Inventing medical devices|||
|Margaret Boden||21 October 2014||Artificial intelligence|||
|Richard Fortey||28 October 2014||Fossils|||
|Sally Davies||4 November 2014||Public health|||
|Dave Goulson||11 November 2014||Bees|||
|John O'Keefe||10 March 2015||Memory|||
|Matt Taylor||17 March 2015||The Rosetta space mission|||
|Sarah-Jayne Blakemore||24 March 2015||Teenage brains|||
|Jane Francis||31 March 2015||Antarctica|||
|Steve Shirley||7 April 2015||Computer coding|||
|Nigel Shadbolt||14 April 2015||The World Wide Web|||
|Susan Jebb||21 April 2015||Nutrition|||
|Anil Seth||16 June 2015||Consciousness|||
|Kate Jones||23 June 2015||Bats and biodiversity|||
|Henry Marsh||30 June 2015||Brain surgery|||
|Dorothy Bishop||7 July 2015||Language disorders|||
|Carlos Frenk||14 July 2015||Dark matter|||
|Niamh Nic Daéid||21 July 2015||Forensic science|||
|E. O. Wilson||28 July 2015||Ants and evolution|||
|Geoff Palmer||4 August 2015||Brewing|||
|Carol Black||6 October 2015||Public health|||
|Danielle George||13 October 2015||Electronics|||
|Robert Plomin||20 October 2015||The genetics of intelligence|||
|Patrick Vallance||3 November 2015||Pharmaceuticals|||
|Kathy Willis||10 November 2015||Botany|||
|Paul Younger||17 November 2015||Energy for the future|||
|Peter Piot||9 February 2016||Tackling ebola and HIV|||
|Naomi Climer||16 February 2016||Engineering|||
|Nick Lane||23 February 2016||The origin of life on earth|||
|George Davey Smith||1 March 2016||Health inequalities|||
|Venki Ramakrishnan||8 March 2016||Ribosomes|||
|Helen Sharman||15 March 2016||Being an astronaut|||
|Carolyn Roberts||22 March 2016||Flood control|||
|Lawrence Krauss||31 May 2016||Dark energy|||
|Marcus du Sautoy||7 June 2016||Mathematics|||
|Sheila Rowan||14 June 2016||Gravitational waves|||
|Nick Davies||21 June 2016||Cuckoos|||
|Hazel Rymer||28 June 2016||Volcanoes|||
|Faraneh Vargha-Khadem||5 July 2016||Memory|||
|Georgina Mace||12 July 2016||Threatened species|||
|Trevor Cox||19 July 2016||Sound|||
|Ian Wilmut||4 October 2016||Dolly the Sheep|||
|Frans de Waal||11 October 2016||Chimpanzees|||
|Lynne Boddy||15 November 2016||Fungi||
|Roger Penrose||22 November 2016||Black holes, quantum mechanics, consciousness|||
|Julia Higgins||29 November 2016||Polymers|||
|Richard Morris||6 December 2016||How we know where we are|||
|Neil deGrasse Tyson||20 December 2016||Pluto|||
|Michele Dougherty||10 January 2017||Saturn|||
|Jan Zalasiewicz||17 January 2017||The Age of Man|||
|Sadaf Farooqi||24 January 2017||What makes us fat|||
|Alison Smith||31 January 2017||Algae|||
|Sean Carroll||7 February 2017||How time and space began|||
|Simon Wessely||14 February 2017||Unexplained medical syndromes|||
|Alan Winfield||21 February 2017||Robot ethics|||
|Alison Woollard||28 February 2017||What she has learnt from mutant worms|||
|Daniel Dennett||4 April 2017||The evolution of the human brain|||
|Nick Fraser||11 April 2017||Triassic reptiles|||
|Liz Sockett||18 April 2017||Friendly killer bacteria|||
|Graham MacGregor||25 April 2017||Tackling the demons in our diet|||
|Ann Clarke||2 May 2017||The Frozen Ark|||
|Fay Dowker||9 May 2017||A new theory of space-time|||
|Ottoline Leyser||16 May 2017||How plants decide what to do|||
|Tim O'Brien||23 May 2017||Transient stars and science and music festivals|||
|Tamsin Mather||30 May 2017||Volcanology|||
|Jennifer Doudna||19 September 2017||Gene editing|||
|Tracey Rogers||26 September 2017||Leopard seals and Antarctica|||
|Lucie Green||3 October 2017||The Sun|||
|Steven Cowley||10 October 2017||Nuclear Fusion|||
|Tim Birkhead||17 October 2017||Bird promiscuity|||
|Ellen Stofan||24 October 2017||Being NASA Chief Scientist|||
|Adrian Thomas||31 October 2017||The mechanics of flight|
|Eben Upton||16 January 2018||Raspberry Pi|
|Eugenia Cheng||23 January 2018||The mathematics of mathematics|
|Wendy Barclay||30 January 2018||The flu virus|||
|Richard Henderson||13 February 2018||The molecules of life|
|John Burn||20 February 2018||The genetics of cancer|
|Ailie MacAdam||27 February 2018||The biggest construction project in Europe|
|Clare Grey||6 March 2018||Big battery challenge|
|Steve Reicher||13 March 2018||Psychology of crowds|
|Callum Roberts||1 May 2018||Marine conservation|
|Carlo Rovelli||8 May 2018||Why time is not what it seems|
|Caroline Dean||15 May 2018||Genetic secrets of flowering|
|John Taylor||29 May 2018||Being an inventor|
|Adrian Thomas||5 June 2018||The mechanics of flight|||
|Frank Close||12 June 2018||Particle physics|
|Rachel Mills||19 June 2018||Exploring the sea floor|
|Jacqueline McGlade||23 October 2018||Monitoring the environment from space|
|Noel Fitzpatrick||30 October 2018||Becoming a supervet|
|Suzanne O'Sullivan||6 November 2018||Detective of the mind|
|Michael Stratton||13 November 2018||Cancer genes|
|Caroline Hargrove||20 November 2018||Formula One|
|Alastair Hay||27 November 2018||Banning chemical weapons|
|Maggie Aderin-Pocock||4 December 2018||Sky at Night presenter|
|Clive Oppenheimer||11 December 2018||Volcanic offerings of our angry earth|
|Jim Al-Khalili||5 February 2019||HIS life scientific
Interviewed by Adam Rutherford
|Sue Black||12 February 2019||Women in Technology|||
|Gregory Winter||19 February 2019||2018 Nobel Prize in Chemistry|||
|Gwen Adshead||26 February 2019||The minds of violent offenders|||
|Donna Strickland||5 March 2019||2018 Nobel Prize in Physics|||
|Ken Gabriel||12 March 2019||Why your Smartphone is Smart|||
|Corinne Le Quéré||19 March 2019||Global carbon cycle|||
|Paul Davies||26 March 2019||Origin of life and the evolution of cancer|||
|Irene Tracey||2 April 2019||Pain in the brain|||
|Richard Peto||9 April 2019||Why smoking kills but quitting saves lives|||
|Erica McAlister||16 April 2019||The beauty of flies|||
|Richard Thompson||25 June 2019||Plastic pollution|||
|Ewine van Dishoeck||2 July 2019||Cosmic chemistry|||
|Turi King||9 July 2019||Ancient DNA|||
|Katherine Joy||16 July 2019||Lunar rock|||
|Robin Dunbar||23 July 2019||Why we have friends|||
|Jonathan Ball||30 July 2019||Arms race against viruses|||
|Richard Wiseman||1 October 2019||Lying, luck and the paranormal|||
|Anne Magurran||8 October 2019||How to measure biodiversity|||
|Martha Clokie||15 October 2019||The viruses that could improve our health|||
|Adrian Owen||22 October 2019||Scanning for awareness in the injured brain|||
|Saiful Islam||29 October 2019||Materials to power the 21st century|||
|Demis Hassabis||5 November 2019||Artificial intelligence|||
|Elizabeth Fisher||12 November 2019||Chromosomes in mice and men|||
- "The Life Scientific". BBC Online. Retrieved 24 January 2014.
- "Lord John Krebs on The Life Scientific, Radio 4". Future of Food. 2013-05-22. Retrieved 24 January 2014.
- Jones, Michael (2013-08-30). "Imperial in the news: The Life Scientific". Retrieved 24 January 2014.
- Mahoney, Elisabeth (2011-10-11). "Radio head: The Life Scientific and One to One". The Guardian. Retrieved 24 January 2014.
- "The Life Scientific - Episode guide". BBC Online. Retrieved 24 January 2014.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Demis Hassabis on artificial intelligence". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "Podcasts - The Life Scientific". BBC. 1970-01-01. Retrieved 2014-07-15.
- "Paul Nurse, The Life Scientific - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "Steven Pinker, The Life Scientific - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "Dame Jocelyn Bell Burnell, The Life Scientific - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "Sir Michael Marmot, The Life Scientific - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "Colin Blakemore, The Life Scientific - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "Molly Stevens, The Life Scientific - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "Nicky Clayton, The Life Scientific - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "John Sulston, The Life Scientific - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "Uta Frith, The Life Scientific - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "Tim Hunt, The Life Scientific - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "Lord Robert Winston, The Life Scientific - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "Colin Pillinger, The Life Scientific - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "Robin Murray, The Life Scientific - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "Chris Stringer, The Life Scientific - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "Tony Ryan, The Life Scientific - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "Wendy Barclay and the flu virus, The Life Scientific - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "Adrian Thomas on the mechanics of flight, The Life Scientific - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Jim Al-Khalili on HIS life scientific". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Sue Black on women in tech". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, 2018 Chemistry Nobel Prize winner, Sir Gregory Winter". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Gwen Adshead on treating the minds of violent offenders". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, 2018 Nobel Prize winner, Donna Strickland, on laser physics". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Ken Gabriel, Why your Smartphone is Smart". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Corinne Le Quéré on the global carbon cycle". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Paul Davies on the origin of life and the evolution of cancer". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Paul Davies on the origin of life and the evolution of cancer". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Richard Peto on why smoking kills but quitting saves lives". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Erica McAlister on the beauty of flies". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Plastic pollution with Richard Thompson". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Ewine van Dishoeck on cosmic chemistry". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, DNA detective Turi King". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Katherine Joy on moon rock". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Robin Dunbar on why we have friends". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Jonathan Ball on his arms race against viruses". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Richard Wiseman on lying, luck and the paranormal". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Anne Magurran on how to measure biodiversity". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Martha Clokie on the viruses that could improve our health". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Adrian Owen on scanning for awareness in the injured brain". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Saiful Islam on materials to power the 21st century". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Elizabeth Fisher on chromosomes in mice and men". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-13.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Life Scientific.|