Eben Christopher Upton CBE (born 5 April 1978) is a British technical director and ASIC architect for Broadcom. He is also a founder and former trustee of the Raspberry Pi Foundation, and now CEO of Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd., the wholly owned subsidiary which runs the engineering and trading activities of the Foundation. He is also responsible for the overall software and hardware architecture of the Raspberry Pi device.
Upton at the Alan Turing festival, Edinburgh 2012 by Jim Killock
|Born||Eben Christopher Upton
5 April 1978 
Griffithstown, Pontypool, Wales, United Kingdom
|Known for||Raspberry Pi|
|Thesis||Compiling with data dependence graphs (2006)|
|Doctoral advisor||Martin Richards|
Upton completed a Bachelor of Arts degree in Physics and Engineering in 1999 at the University of Cambridge. He went on to do the Cambridge Diploma in Computer Science graduating in 2001. After his diploma, Upton went on to study for a Doctor of Philosophy degree in the Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge. After finishing his PhD he completed an executive Master of Business Administration at the Cambridge Judge Business School while working in industry.
Prior to working at Broadcom, Upton was Director of Studies in Computer Science at St John's College, Cambridge with responsibility for undergraduate admissions and organising teaching for St John's undergraduate students on the Computer Science Tripos.
Upton has published several books and papers including the Oxford Rhyming Dictionary with his father Clive Upton. With Gareth Halfacree he co-authored the Raspberry Pi User Guide. During his academic career, he co-authored several peer-reviewed scientific papers on mobile services, Human–computer interaction (HCI), bluetooth and data dependency graphs.
Eben Upton is the son of Clive Upton. He was born in Griffithstown near Pontypool in South Wales, but lived in Lae in Papua New Guinea between the ages of eight weeks and two and a half years. He then returned to the UK to grow up in Leeds, Birmingham and Ilkley. He is married to Liz Upton who he met at university.
- Eben Upton, 34: His ultracheap computer is perfect for tinkering
- "Eben Upton CBE". Archives of IT. Retrieved 16 January 2018.
- The MagPi Issue 4 – Eben and Liz: The interview, August 2012
- "Raspberry Pi inventor joins silver medal table". The Telegraph.
- Manners, David (11 June 2016). "Eben Upton gets CBE". Electronics Weekly. Retrieved 11 April 2017.
- "Welcome Lance!", 25 September 2013, raspberrypi.org
- "Our story", Page 3, Raspberry Pi Foundation
- MacGregor, Alice (25 July 2014). "A slice of Pi: Interview with Raspberry Pi CEO Eben Upton". The Stack. Retrieved 11 April 2017.
- "Raspberry Pi (Trading) limited". Companies House. 10 September 2012. Retrieved 11 April 2017.
- on YouTube
- on YouTube
- on YouTube
- Upton, Eben (2006). Compiling with data dependence graphs (PhD thesis). University of Cambridge.
- Raspberry Pi: Dr Eben Upton, Inventor
- Haggle: Seamless Networking for Mobile Applications in Thomas Strang; John Krumm; Gregory D. Abowd; Aruna Seneviratne (2007). UbiComp 2007: Ubiquitous Computing: 9th International Conference, UbiComp 2007, Innsbruck, Austria, September 16–19, 2007, Proceedings (Lecture Notes in … Applications, incl. Internet/Web, and HCI). Berlin: Springer. ISBN 3-540-74852-0.
- Raspberry Pi interview: Eben Upton reveals all
- Upton, Eben; Upton, Clive (2004). Oxford Rhyming Dictionary. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-280115-5.
- Upton, Eben; Gareth Halfacree (2012). Raspberry Pi User Guide. New York: Wiley. ISBN 1-118-46446-X.
- List of publications from Microsoft Academic
- Eben Upton's publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database, a service provided by Elsevier. (subscription required)
- Eben Upton at DBLP Bibliography Server
- Toye, E.; Sharp, R.; Madhavapeddy, A.; Scott, D.; Upton, E.; Blackwell, A. (2006). "Interacting with mobile services: An evaluation of camera-phones and visual tags". Personal and Ubiquitous Computing. 11 (2): 97. doi:10.1007/s00779-006-0064-9.
- Scott, D.; Sharp, R.; Madhavapeddy, A.; Upton, E. (2005). "Using visual tags to bypass Bluetooth device discovery". ACM SIGMOBILE Mobile Computing and Communications Review. 9: 41. doi:10.1145/1055959.1055965.
- Hymans, C.; Upton, E. (2004). "Static Analysis of Gated Data Dependence Graphs". Static Analysis. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. 3148. p. 197. doi:10.1007/978-3-540-27864-1_16. ISBN 978-3-540-22791-5.
- "No. 61608". The London Gazette (Supplement). 11 June 2016. p. B10.