Timothy Hugh Clutton-Brock
13 August 1946
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge (PhD)|
|Institutions||University of Cambridge|
|Thesis||Feeding and ranging behaviour of the red colobus monkey (1973)|
|Doctoral advisor||Robert Hinde|
Career and researchEdit
As of 2008, he is the Prince Philip Professor of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, and head of the Large Animal Research Group at the Department of Zoology of the University of Cambridge, and a fellow of Magdalene College, Cambridge. He also holds extraordinary professorships in the Department of Zoology and Entomology and the Mammal Research Institute of the University of Pretoria, South Africa.
Clutton-Brock's early work was on social behaviour in primates. Much of his recent work focuses on three long-term studies: of Red Deer on the Scottish island of Rùm, of Soay sheep on St Kilda, and of meerkats in the southern Kalahari. He is one of the founders of the Kalahari Meerkat Project, the subjects of which are featured in the television programme Meerkat Manor.
- Readings in Sociobiology. Editor with Paul H. Harvey. (1978, W.H.Freeman & Company; ISBN 0-7167-0190-1)
- Red Deer: Behavior and Ecology of Two Sexes. With F. E. Guinness and S. D. Albon. (1982, University Of Chicago Press; ISBN 0-226-11057-5)
- Life Histories in Comparative Perspective. With P.H. Harvey and R.D. Martin, R.D. (1987) In Primate Societies. Smuts, B.B., Cheney, D.L., Seyfarth, R.M., Wrangham, R.W., Struhsaker, T.T. (eds). Chicago & London:University of Chicago Press. pp. 181–196 ISBN 0-226-76715-9
- Rhum: The Natural History of an Island (Edinburgh Island Biology). Editor with M. E. Ball. (1987, Edinburgh University Press; ISBN 0-85224-513-0)
- Reproductive Success: Studies of Individual Variation in Contrasting Breeding Systems (Editor, 1990, University Of Chicago Press; ISBN 0-226-11059-1)
- The Evolution of Parental Care (1991, Princeton University Press; ISBN 0-691-02516-9)
- Changes and Disturbance in Tropical Rainforest in SouthEast Asia. Editor with David M. G. Newbery and Ghillean T. Prance. (2000, World Scientific Publishing Company; ISBN 1-86094-243-1)
- Wildlife Population Growth Rates. Editor with R. M. Sibly and J. Hone. (2003, Cambridge University Press; ISBN 0-521-53347-3)
- Soay Sheep: Dynamics and Selection in an Island Population. Editor with Josephine Pemberton. (2004, Cambridge University Press; ISBN 0-521-52990-5)
- Meerkat Manor – The Story of Flower of the Kalahari (2007, Weidenfeld & Nicolson; ISBN 0-297-84484-9)
- Clutton-Brock TH, Parker GA. (1995) Punishment in animal societies. Nature 373: 209–216 (PMID 7816134)
- Clutton-Brock TH. (2007) Sexual selection in Males and Females. Science 318: 1882–1885
- Clutton-Brock TH, Vincent AC. (1991) Sexual selection and the potential reproductive rates of males and females. Nature 351: 58–60 (PMID 2027382)
- Clutton-Brock TH et al.. (2001) Cooperation, conflict and concession in meerkat groups. Science 291: 478–481 (PMID 11161200)
- Clutton-Brock TH et al.. (2002) Evolution and development of sex differences in cooperative behaviour in meerkats. Science 297: 253–256 (PMID 12114627)
- Clutton-Brock TH et al.. (2002) Sex differences in emigration and mortality affect optimal management of deer populations. Nature 415: 633–637 (PMID 11832944)
- Clutton-Brock TH et al.. (2006) Intrasexual competition and sexual selection in cooperative mammals. Nature 444: 1065–1068 (PMID 17183322)
Awards and honoursEdit
In 2012, he was awarded the Darwin Medal from the Royal Society for his work on the diversity of animal societies and demonstration of their effects on the evolution of reproductive strategies, and the operation of selection and the dynamics of populations.
- Bateson, Patrick; Barker, David; Clutton-Brock, Timothy; Deb, Debal; D'Udine, Bruno; Foley, Robert A.; Gluckman, Peter; Godfrey, Keith; Kirkwood, Tom; Lahr, Marta Mirazón; McNamara, John; Metcalfe, Neil B.; Monaghan, Patricia; Spencer, Hamish G.; Sultan, Sonia E. (2004). "Developmental plasticity and human health". Nature. 430 (6998): 419–421. doi:10.1038/nature02725. ISSN 0028-0836.
- University of Cambridge, Department of Zoology page for Professor Tim Clutton-Brock FRS Archived 19 January 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- Clutton-Brock, Timothy Hugh (1972). Feeding and ranging behaviour of the red colobus monkey (PhD thesis). University of Cambridge. OCLC 500406063. EThOS uk.bl.ethos.451729.
- "Tim Clutton-Brock". Department of Zoology, University of Cambridge. Retrieved 19 March 2008.
- "Fellows by Subject". Magdalene College, Cambridge. Retrieved 20 March 2008.
- "Faculties of the University of Pretoria" (PDF). University of Pretoria. Retrieved 20 March 2008.
- Anon (1993). "Professor Timothy Clutton-Brock FRS". London: Royal Society. One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text from the royalsociety.org website where:
“All text published under the heading 'Biography' on Fellow profile pages is available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.” --Royal Society Terms, conditions and policies at the Wayback Machine (archived 2016-11-11)
- Tim Clutton-Brock on IMDb
- "Meerkats: The Zoological Jackpot". National Geographic. Retrieved 19 March 2008.
- "ISIHighlyCited.com: Clutton-Brock, Timothy H." Thomson Scientific. Retrieved 20 March 2008.
- "Darwin Medal". Royal Society. Retrieved 21 December 2012.