Henry Marsh (neurosurgeon)
Henry Thomas Marsh CBE FRCS (born 5 March 1950) is a leading British neurosurgeon, and a pioneer of neurosurgical advances in Ukraine. His widely acclaimed memoir Do No Harm: Stories of Life, Death and Brain Surgery was published by Orion Publishers in 2014 and according to The Economist is "So elegantly written it is little wonder some say that in Mr Marsh neurosurgery has found its Boswell."
Early life and educationEdit
Marsh attended the Dragon School in Oxford and Westminster School in London. Later he read Politics, Philosophy and Economics at University College, Oxford University, achieving First Class Honours, before graduating with Honours in Medicine from the Royal Free Medical School.
Marsh was until 2015 the senior consultant neurosurgeon at the Atkinson Morley Wing at St George's Hospital, south London, one of the country's largest specialist brain surgery units.
He has been working with neurosurgeons in the former Soviet Union, mainly in Ukraine with protégé neurosurgeon Igor Kurilets, since 1992 and his work there was the subject of the BBC Storyville film The English Surgeon from 2007.
He has a particular interest in the influence of hospital buildings and design on patient outcomes and staff morale; he has broadcast and lectured widely on this subject.
In 2017, Marsh published "Admissions : a life in brain surgery", a second memoir with Weidenfeld & Nicolson, an imprint of Orion.
Awards and honoursEdit
- Marsh, Henry (2014). Do No Harm: Stories of Life, Death and Brain Surgery. Orion. ISBN 978-0297869870.
- "Books of the Year: Page turners". The Economist. 6 Dec 2014. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "OD News". The OD. Vol. 1. Dragon School. 2011. p. 22.
- "I was awake during brain surgery". BBC News. BBC. 9 March 2004. Retrieved 2008-08-19.
- Sanderson, Greg (28 March 2008). "Brain surgery with a DIY drill". BBC News. BBC. Retrieved 2008-08-19.
- "No. 59446". The London Gazette (Supplement). 12 June 2010. p. 23.
- "Third Annual Leslie Oliver Oration". Neurosurgery News. Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust. 16 January 2010. Retrieved 7 October 2011.
- Wagner, Erica (March 2014). "Life and death at his fingertips: watching a brain surgeon at work". New Statesman.
- Wintle, Angela (11 June 2017). "British neurosurgeon Henry Marsh on his passion for tools, doing up houses and beekeeping". Sunday Times online. Retrieved 15 June 2017.(subscription required)
- Rothman, Joshua (18 May 2015). "Anatomy of error: a surgeon remembers his mistakes". The Critics. Books. The New Yorker. 91 (13): 98–101. Retrieved 2015-08-17.
- The English Surgeon on IMDb
- ABC Australia podcast, Richard Fidler interviewing Henry Marsh (29-May-2017), http://www.abc.net.au/radio/darwin/programs/conversations/henry-marsh/8567958}}