George Davey Smith
George Davey Smith FRS (born 9 May 1959) is a British epidemiologist. He has been professor of clinical epidemiology at the University of Bristol since 1994, honorary professor of public health at the University of Glasgow since 1996, and visiting professor at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine since 1999.
George Davey Smith
Davey Smith in March 1999
|Born||9 May 1959|
|Known for||Health inequalities; Life course approach to epidemiology; Mendelian randomization|
|Thesis||Physical fitness and risk factors for coronary heart disease (1991)|
Davey Smith attended Stockton Heath Primary School and Lymm Grammar School in Warrington in North West England. He received a BA from Queen's College, Oxford in 1981, an MB BChir from Jesus College, Cambridge in 1984, an MSc from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine in 1988, an MD from Jesus College, Cambridge in 1991, and a DSc from Queen's College, Oxford in 2000.
Honours and awardsEdit
Davey Smith is an ISI highly cited researcher, a fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, and a fellow of the Academy of Medical Sciences, United Kingdom. In 2019 Smith became foreign member of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- Davey Smith, George. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2015 (November 2014 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 14 September 2015. (subscription or UK public library membership required)
- Smith, George Davey (2004). "A Conversation with Jerry Morris". Epidemiology. 15 (6): 770–773. doi:10.1097/01.ede.0000142155.20764.9d. PMID 15475729.
- Al-Khalili, Jim (Presenter), Davey Smith, George (Interviewee) (1 March 2016). The Life Scientific. BBC Radio 4.
- "Professor George Davey Smith". University of Bristol. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- "George Davey Smith". HCEO. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- "Bank of Life: How children of the 90s helped us all". BBC News. 19 June 2015. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- Smith, George Davey. "Physical fitness and risk factors for coronary heart disease" (MD thesis). Newton Library Catalogues. University of Cambridge. Retrieved 14 September 2015.
- "Professor George Davey Smith FMedSci". Academy of Medical Sciences. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
|Scholia has an author profile for George Davey Smith.|
- "Professor George Davey Smith". University of Bristol.
- Katherine, Nightingale (21 November 2018). "Profile: George Davey Smith". Insight. Medical Research Council.
- George Davey Smith on the History of Modern Biomedicine Research Group website
- George Davey Smith publications indexed by Google Scholar