Sarrainodu (English: The Right Person) is a 2016 Indian Telugu-language action-masala film written and directed by Boyapati Srinu. Produced by Allu Aravind under the Geetha Arts banner, it features Allu Arjun, Aadhi Pinisetty, Rakul Preet Singh and Catherine Tresa in the lead roles while Srikanth appears in a supporting role. S. Thaman composed the film's score and soundtrack. Rishi Punjabi is the cinematographer. The film had a theatrical release on 22 April 2016. It became the highest grossing Telugu film of 2016.The film was dubbed and released simultaneously in Malayalam under the title "Yodhavu".
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Boyapati Srinu|
|Produced by||Allu Aravind|
|Written by||M. Rathnam (Dialogue)|
|Screenplay by||Boyapati Srinu|
|Story by||Boyapati Srinu|
|Music by||S. Thaman|
|Edited by||Kotagiri Venkateshwara Rao|
|Box office||₹127 crore|
The film was later dubbed and released in Hindi under the same title Sarrainodu. Upon its release, it became the highest viewed Hindi dubbed film on YouTube with more than 79 million views.
Gana (Allu Arjun) is a youth who beats crooked people that escape punishment due to faults in the legal system. He is raised by his paternal uncle Sripati (Srikanth), and berated by his father Umapati (Jayaprakash) for leaving the military and not having an aim in life. One day Gana is sent to a neighbouring village to meet his prospective bride, Mahalakshmi (Rakul Preet Singh). She is the daughter of his father's friend, Jaya Prakash (Sai Kumar), who is a sincere Ex Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer and politician. However, Gana meets Hansitha Reddy (Catherine Tresa), who is revealed to be the local Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA), and falls in love with her. He tells his father that Mahalakshmi rejected him because he gets into fights.
Dhanush (Aadhi Pinisetty) is the son of a chief minister; he kills a farmer for refusing to give up his lands. Later, a prominent businessman comes to Dhanush to escape punishment for raping and murdering a college girl. The victim's parents seek the help of Hansitha to get justice. At the trial, a new defence lawyer (Rajiv Kanakala) twists the case, making it seem like the girl provoked her beating by blackmailing the accused (Adarsh Balakrishna), and the judge decides in favour of the lawyer's argument. Gana learns about the lawyer and beat him up, cuts off the legs of the rapist. Dhanush takes this as a challenge to his influence and becomes incensed.
Hansitha falls for Gana and promises to marry him if he swears in the presence of God that he will stand behind her and never get into fights. He is about to do so at the temple when a badly injured Mahalakshmi arrives, running from people who try to kill her. Gana holds her up, beats everyone who tried to kill her, and ultimately gives Mahalakshmi courage.
Narrating a flashback, Mahalakshmi explains how Dhanush tried to blackmail her father. Her father had been protecting farmers so they wouldn't have to sell their lands. This infuriated Dhanush who killed the farmers. When Mahalakshmi intervened, slapping and insulting Dhanush (she had also called him a zero, which angered him more), he killed her father and tried to kill her. She narrowly escaped and had run for four days to find Gana, whom she had fallen in love with.
Gana decides to solve her problems. He goes to Dhanush's home, beats his men, and tries to burn Dhanush alive but Dhanush escapes. Gana is questioned for the attack but claims that other people beat Dhanush. One of Dhanush's men tells the truth about the atrocities he committed in the village, and the media is thrown into an uproar.
Dhanush arrives at the Director General of Police (DGP) office to surrender but shoots at DGP Mallikarjun (Suman). He tries to kill Umapati but Sripati takes the bullets. The chief minister stops Dhanush from shooting anyone else and tells Umapati to call Gana and make him surrender to Dhanush. Told that Sripati will only be taken to hospital if he surrenders, Gana does so and is beaten and stabbed by Dhanush and his men. The chief minister then tells Dhanush to kill Sripati, which enrages Gana into killing the thugs and the chief minister. Gana then fights Dhanush and decapitates him with an axe when he tries to run over his father and uncle.
A cover story is told, that the chief minister and Dhanush were killed while trying to protect the DGP from unknown terrorists. Hansitha is made a candidate to become the new chief minister.
- Allu Arjun as Gana
- Rakul Preet Singh as Jaanu aka Mahalakshmi
- Catherine Tresa as MLA Hansitha Reddy
- Aadhi Pinisetty as Vairam Dhanush
- Srikanth as Sripathi
- Suman as DGP Ranjit
- Jayaprakash as Umapati 'U. P.'
- Saikumar as Jaya Prakash 'J. P.'
- Vijayakumar as Pedhayya
- Adarsh Balakrishna as Paddam Veerendra
- Devadarshini as Sripati's wife
- Brahmanandam as Umapati's neighbour
- Vinaya Prasad as Gana's mother
- Surekha Vani as Padma
- Jaya Prakash Reddy
- Pradeep Rawat as Obul
- Kitty as Dhanush's father
- Annapoorna as Gana's grandmother
- Chalapathi Rao
- Vidyullekha Raman as 'Sambar' Tamizh Selvi
- L. B. Sriram
- Prabhakar (Telugu actor)
- G. V. Sudhakar Naidu
- Rajeev Kanakala as lawyer
- Sameer as lawyer
- Supreet as Dhanush's henchman
- Shravan as Dhanush's henchman
- Prabhakar as Dhanush's henchman
- Geetha Singh
- Rahul Verma
- Anshuman Sahoo as Balangir Baba
- Anjali in the item number "Blockbuster"
Boyapati Srinu wrote the script with Allu Arjun in mind for the lead. He wanted to cast Samantha Ruth Prabhu who acted with Arjun in S/O Satyamurthy (2015), but it did not happen. Catherine Tresa and Rakul Preet Singh were selected for the female lead roles. It is Singh's first collaboration with Arjun and Tresa's third collaboration with him after Iddarammayilatho (2013) and Rudhramadevi (2015). Tamil actor Aadhi was chosen as the main antagonist. Srikanth, Suman and Jayaprakash were chosen for other important roles. Priyamani, Anushka Shetty and Disha Patani were reported to have been approached for an item number. However, it was Anjali who danced in the number with Arjun.
Allu Arjun wanted to release the film on 8 April 2016, his birthday, but the worldwide release date was moved to 22 April 2016.
The film received mixed reviews from critics. Times of India wrote "The film has nothing new to narrate and fails to keep you glued to the seats throughout. The hackneyed plot and lack of novelty make this film a regular watch, this film is something for the masses." 123 Telugu wrote "Sarrainodu is indeed an ooraa mass entertainer. The film has many elements which will enthrall the fans and mass general audience. Bunny's stunning transformation, Aadi's screen presence and amazing action sequences are huge assets."
|1.||"Athiloka Sundari"||Ramajogayya Sastry, Bunny Suresh||Vishal Dadlani, Karthik||4:15|
|2.||"You Are My MLA"||Ananth Sriram||Dhanunjay||4:34|
|3.||"Private Party"||Krishna Chaitanya||Manasi M.M, M.C. Vickey||4:23|
|4.||"Blockbuster"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Shreya Ghoshal, Nakash Aziz, Simha, Sri Krishna, Deepu||5:05|
|5.||"Telusaa Telusaa"||Sri Mani||Jubin Nautiyal, Sameera Bharadwaj||4:25|
|6.||"Sarrainodu"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Hard Kaur, Sonu Kakkar, Brijesh Shandilya||4:55|
- Hooli, Shekhar H (22 April 2016). "'Sarainodu' (Sarrainodu) movie review by audience: Live update". IBTIMES.
- "Sarainodu 'Sarainodu' (Sarainodu) total worldwide box office collection: Allu Arjun's film grosses Rs. 127 crore in its lifetime". International Business Times. Retrieved on 7 July 2016.
- 'Sarainodu' (Sarrainodu) total worldwide box office collection: Allu Arjun's film grosses Rs. 127 crore in its lifetime - International Business Times
- Sarrainodu (2017) Official Hindi Dubbed Trailer | Allu Arjun, Rakul Preet Singh
- Sarrainodu Movie On SONY MAX | Times Of India
- Thrilled with response to Hindi version of 'Sarrainodu' - Boyapati Srinu: Greatandhra.com
- Sarrainodu (Hindi) Full Movie - YouTube
- "Sarrainodu - Allu Arjun and Boyapati Sreenu Movie. Archives - Southie". Retrieved 25 August 2016.
- "Sarrainodu: Watch Allu Arjun shake a leg with Anjali for this Blockbuster song". Retrieved 25 August 2016.
- "Anjali not Anushka to shake leg with Bunny in Sarainodu". Retrieved 25 August 2016.
- s-sardar-gabbar-singh-668729"Allu Arjun's 'Sarainodu' release postponed to avoid clash with Pawan Kalyan's 'Sardar[dead link]
- Hooli, Shekhar H. "'Sarainodu' (Sarrainodu) 17-day box office collection: Allu Arjun starrer crosses Rs. 100 crore mark in 3rd weekend". Retrieved 3 January 2017.
- 'Sarainodu' review round-up: Allu Arjun-Rakul Preet-starrer bags mixed verdict, good ratings from critics. Ibtimes.co.in (24 April 2016). Retrieved on 2016-07-03.
- Sarrainodu review: Marred by a yawn-inducing plot. The Hindu (2016-04-22). Retrieved on 2016-07-03.
- Sarrainodu Movie Review, Trailer, & Show timings at Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (22 April 2016). Retrieved on 2016-07-03.
- Anjuri, Pravallika. (1 April 2016) MUSIC REVIEW: Allu Arjun's Sarrainodu Audio Is Out, Here's What You Should Know... Filmibeat. Retrieved on 2016-07-03.