Chief minister(Redirected from Chief Minister)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A chief minister is the elected head of government of - in most instances - a sub-national entity, for instance an administrative subdivision or federal constituent entity. Examples include a state (and sometimes a union territory) in India; a territory of Australia; a province of Sri Lanka or Pakistan; a federal province in Nepal; an autonomous region of Philippines; or a British Overseas Territory that has attained self-governance. It is also used as the English version of the title given to the heads of governments of the Malay states without a monarchy.
Meaning and roleEdit
The title has a similar construction and role as a prime minister, first minister or minister-president but usually with a lower rank. The role has context within the Westminster system of government where a constitutional head of state (usually sub-national) is advised by ministers who usually head executive government departments (ministries). A chief minister is understood to be "first among equals". They would be the chief adviser to the nominal head of their state, the chair of cabinet and leader of the main governing political party in the legislature.
Chief ministers around the worldEdit
- Chief Minister of Anguilla
- Chief Minister of the Australian Capital Territory
- Chief Minister of the Northern Territory of Australia
- Chief Minister of Burma
- Chief Minister of Norfolk Island (Australia)
- Chief Minister of Guernsey
- Chief Minister of Gibraltar
- Chief Minister (India)
- Chief Minister of Jersey
- Chief Minister of the Isle of Man
- Chief Minister of Montserrat
- Chief Ministers in Malaysia
- Chief Minister of Nepal
- Chief Minister (Philippines)
- Chief Minister of Sierra Leone
- Chief Minister of Singapore
- Chief Ministers in Sri Lanka
- Chief Minister of Mandalay Region
- Chief Minister of Galmudug state of Somalia
Informal chief ministersEdit
|Look up chief minister in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
- Department of the Chief Minister - Government and the department. Dcm.nt.gov.au. Retrieved on 12 July 2013.
- Only in Bangsamoro
- "Malay Stats". Retrieved 14 April 2009.
- Controversy over appointment of chief minister of Sierra Leone. Sierra Leone Telegraph, 2 May 2018.
- Centre of Sierra Leone Studies – The politics of Sierra Leone. The University of Makeni. Abgerufen am 15. Mai 2018.
- Boland, Angela (8 August 2017). Cabinet Handbook (PDF). Northern Territory Government. p. 5. Retrieved 20 August 2018.