This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
A chief minister is an elected or appointed head of government of – in most instances – a sub-national entity, for instance an administrative subdivision or federal constituent entity. Examples include a state (and sometimes a union territory) in India; a territory of Australia; a province of Sri Lanka or Pakistan; a federal province in Nepal; an autonomous region of Philippines; or a British Overseas Territory that has attained self-governance. It is also used as the English version of the title given to the heads of governments of the Malay states without a monarchy.
In 2018 Sierra Leone, a presidential republic, created the role of an appointed chief minister, which is similar to a prime minister in a semi-presidential system. Before that, only Milton Margai had the same position between 1954 and 1958.
Meaning and role Edit
The title has a similar construction and role as a first minister or minister-president but usually with a lower rank. The role has context within the Westminster system of government where a constitutional head of state (usually sub-national) is advised by ministers who usually head executive government departments (ministries). A chief minister is understood to be "first among equals". They would be the chief adviser to the nominal head of their state, the chair of cabinet and leader of the main governing political party in the legislature.
Chief ministers around the world Edit
- Chief Minister of the Australian Capital Territory
- Chief Minister of the Northern Territory of Australia
- Chief Minister of Burma
- Chief Minister of Guernsey
- Chief Minister of Gibraltar
- Chief Minister (India)
- Chief Minister of Jersey
- Chief Minister of the Isle of Man
- Chief Minister of Montserrat
- Chief Ministers in Malaysia
- Chief minister (Nepal)
- Chief Minister (Pakistan)
- Chief Minister of Bangsamoro of the Philippines
- Chief Minister of Saint Helena
- Chief Minister of Sierra Leone
- Chief Minister of Singapore
- Chief Ministers in Sri Lanka
- Chief Minister of Mandalay Region
- List of chief ministers of Galmudug (Somalia)
Informal chief ministers Edit
See also Edit
- "About government". nt.gov.au. Retrieved on 16 March 2018.
- Only in Bangsamoro
- "Malay Stats". Retrieved 14 April 2009.
- Thomas, Abdul Rashid (2 May 2018). "Controversy over appointment of chief minister of Sierra Leone".
- Centre of Sierra Leone Studies – The politics of Sierra Leone. The University of Makeni. Archived 26 November 2019 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- Boland, Angela (8 August 2017). Cabinet Handbook (PDF). Northern Territory Government. p. 5. Archived from the original (PDF) on 20 March 2018. Retrieved 20 August 2018.