Rudhramadevi (Telugu: రుద్రమదేవి) is a 2015 Indian Telugu 3D epic historical fiction film based on the life of Rudrama Devi, one of the prominent rulers of the Kakatiya dynasty in the Deccan, and one of the few ruling queens in Indian history. The film written and directed by Gunasekhar features Anushka Shetty as Rudrama Devi, alongside an ensemble cast of Allu Arjun, Rana Daggubati, Vikramjeet Virk, Krishnam Raju, Prakash Raj, Suman, Nithya Menen, Baba Sehgal and Catherine Tresa. The film is narrated by Chiranjeevi. The film's soundtrack and background score were composed by Ilaiyaraaja.
Theatrical release poster
|Edited by||Sreekar Prasad|
Gunaa Team Works|
Sri Thenandal Films
|Box office||est. ₹98.92 crore|
Rudhramadevi was released worldwide on 9 October 2015, with dubbed versions in Hindi and Malayalam languages. The Tamil version was released by Sri Thenandal Films on 16 October. The film became the fifth highest opening day grossing Indian film of 2015. It grossed ₹32 crores worldwide in the opening weekend.
Ganapatideva was the emperor of the Kakatiya dynasty who rules Kakatiya Empire from Orugallu(present day Warangal, Telangana) as its Capital. With Kakatiya Dynasty at a problem, Ganapatideva's wife gives birth to a baby girl, but as the Dynasty is in big trouble and the people want a prince, not a princess the minister advises king to announce the baby girl as a boy. Rudramadevi was formally designated as a son and given the male name Rudradeva, through the ancient Putrika ceremony. But, during Rudramadevi’s birth, an astrologer predicted that a baby girl is born to rule the kingdom jointly with her father as his co-regent from 1259–60 under the name of Rudradeva Maharaja.
In the first two or three years of their joint rule, the kingdom was thrown into confusion and disorder due to Jatavarman Sundara Pandyan I's invasion and the disastrous defeat of the Kakatiyas and their allies on the battle field of Muttukur, near Nellore. Though Ganapatideva was ultimately successful in turning back the tide of invasion, he suffered loss of territory and prestige and his hold over his feudatories and nobles was shaken. Under these circumstances, he retired from active politics. Rudramadevi gets married to Veerabhadra, a Vengi Chalukya (a branch of the Chalukyas of Badami) prince of Nidadavolu.
- Anushka Shetty as Rudrama Devi
- Allu Arjun as Gona Ganna Reddy
- Rana Daggubati as Chalukya Veerabhadra
- Vikramjeet Virk as Mahadeva Nayakudu
- Krishnam Raju as Ganapati Devudu
- Prakash Raj as Shiva Devaiah
- Suman as Hari Hara Devudu
- Nithya Menen as Muktamba
- Catherine Tresa as Anambika
- Adithya Menon as Murari Devudu
- Prabha as Somamba, Ganapati Devudu's wife
- Vinod Kumar as Ganna Reddy's paternal uncle
- Raja Ravindra as Anambika's father
- Ulka Gupta as Younger Rudrama Devi
- Roshan Meka as Young Chalukya Veerabhadra
- Aditi Chengappa as Ganapamba
- Hamsa Nandini as Madanika
- Ajay as Prasadaditya
- Baba Sehgal as Naga Devudu
- Raza Murad as Singanna
- Jaya Prakash Reddy as Amba Devudu
- Subbaraya Sharma as Jayapa Naidu
- Venu Madhav as Tittibi
- Arpit Ranka as Varada Reddy
- Akshara Mandhapati as Akshara Devi
- Ravi Prakash
- Vennela Kishore
- Sivaji Raja
- Ahuti Prasad
- Dharmavarapu Subramanyam
Director Gunasekhar readied a script based on the life of Rani Rudramadevi. Anushka, Nayanthara and Priyanka Chopra were considered for the title role but Anushka was signed based on her performance in Arundhati. Gunasekhar selected Ilaiyaraja to compose the music and Thotta Tharani for art direction. The film is made on a budget of ₹80 crore (US$11 million). Mahesh Babu and Jr. NTR were first approached for the role of Gona Ganna Reddy, but both of them rejected the offer. Later, Allu Arjun was eventually selected to do the role. Neeta Lulla designed the costumes. Rapper Baba Sehgal was roped in by director Gunasekhar for a role. Vikramjeet Virk, who earlier played a negative role in Ashutosh Gowarikar's Khelein Hum Jee Jaan Sey (2010) and in Puri Jagannadh's 2014 film Heart Attack, was selected for playing a negative character named Mahadeva Nayakadu.
The film's official trailer was released in March 2015. The film was slated to be released on 26 June 2015, but it was but postponed to 9 October due to technical problems. Telangana state has given entertainment tax exemption for the film.
Legal release onlineEdit
Upon release, the film received positive reviews, with critics praising the direction, narration, and Anushka's performance. Belvoir Eagle gave the film 3.5/5 rating, and Kiaara Sindu of The Hans India rated 4/5.
The film became the fifth highest opening day grossing Indian film of 2015. It grossed ₹32 crore (US$4.5 million) in its first weekend at the domestic box office, and ₹57.62 crore (US$8.0 million) in its first week. The worldwide collection exceeded ₹81.77 crore (US$11 million) in 17 days and ₹83 crore (US$12 million) in 21 days. The worldwide gross was ₹86.92 crore (US$12 million) in 35 days.
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2015||Ugadi Award for Best Actress||Ugadi Awards 2016||Rudhramadevi||Won||Anushka Shetty|
|Best actress||Apsara Awards 2016||Won|
|Entertainer of the Year||Apsara Awards 2016||Won|
|CineMAA Award for Best Actress||CineMAA Awards||Won|
|Best Actress||Bharatamuni Awards||Won|
|Best Actress - Critics Choice||SIIMA (South Indian International Movie Awards) 2016||Won|
|Best Actress||SIIMA (South Indian International Movie Awards) 2016||Nominated|
|Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Telugu||Filmfare Awards South||Won|
|Santosham Best Actress Award||Santosham Film Awards||Won|
|Filmfare Award for Best Actor in Supporting role – Telugu||Filmfare Awards South||Won||Allu Arjun|
|Best Actor - Critic choice||SIIMA (South Indian International Movie Awards) 2016||Won|
|Best Actor||SIIMA (South Indian International Movie Awards) 2016||Nominated|
|CineMAA Award for Best Actor-Jury||CineMAA Awards||Won|
|CineMAA Award for Appreciation||CineMAA Awards||Won||Gunasekhar|
|Santosham Best Film Award||Santosham Film Awards||Won|
|Best Director- Telugu||SIIMA (South Indian International Movie Awards) 2016||Nominated|
|Best Movie-Telugu||SIIMA (South Indian International Movie Awards) 2016||Nominated|
|Best Actor in supporting role female-Telugu||SIIMA (South Indian International Movie Awards) 2016||Nominated||Nithya Menen|
- 2nd IIFA Utsavam
- Performance in a Leading Role - Female -Anushka Shetty - nominated
- Performance in a Supporting Role - Male - Allu Arjun - won
- Performance in a Supporting Role - Female - Nithya Menon - nominated
- Performance in a Negative Role - Vikramjeet Virk - nominated
- Best Make up - won
- Best Costume Design - won
- Best Lyrics - Sirivennela Seetharama Sastry - "Madagajame" - nominated
- Best Playback Singer - Male - Hariharan - "Avuna Neevena" - nominated
- Best Playback Singer - Female - Shreya Ghoshal - "Punnami Puvvai" - nominated
The audio music was planned to release separately in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh states having the Chief ministers of these states as chief guests. Out of the six songs in the album, three of them were released on the Ugadi festival day at Visakhapatnam, while the remaining 3 songs released the next day in Warangal. It was named Best Telugu Album of March 2015 by Deccan Music. Soundtrack for The Tamil and Malayalam Version were released later.
Rudhramadevi is the first Telugu film to have its recording in London, United Kingdom. The garments and jewellery designed for the lead cast are available in NAC Jewellers in Chennai as Rudhramadevi Collections.
- "'Rudramadevi' (Rudhramadevi) grosses Rs 86.92 crore at box office in 35 days". International Business Times. 15 November 2015.
- Julius Jolly (1885) Outlines of an History of the Hindu Law of Partition, Inheritance, and Adoption:As Contained in the Original Sanskrit Treatises, Thacker, Spink and Company, pp. 144–150:
- Bilkees I. Latif (2010). Forgotten. Penguin Books India. p. 70. ISBN 978-0-14-306454-1.
- "Anushka to do a Tamil-Telugu period film?". Times of India. 6 October 2012. Retrieved 24 November 2012.
- "Rudhramadevi Movie Database". Film Dhamaka. 27 January 2015. Retrieved 27 January 2015.
- "Rudramadevi Music". Raag. Retrieved 21 March 2015.
- "Puli' box office collection: Will Anushka's 'Rudhramadevi' (Rudramadevi) affect Vijay starrer?". ibtimes.co.in. Retrieved 2015-10-16.
- "Tamil version of Rudhramadevi to release on October 16". Hindustan Times. 7 October 2015. Retrieved 7 October 2015.
- "'Rudhramadevi' (Rudramadevi) 1st day box office collection: Gunasekhar film turns 6th biggest opener of 2015". International Business Times, India Edition. 10 October 2015.
- "Rudramadevi review: Lengthy but interesting period drama". The Indian Express. 10 October 2015.
- Special Correspondent. "Rudramadevi exempted from entertainment tax in TS". The Hindu.
- "Rudhramadevi box office collection: Anushka Shetty-starrer mints Rs 32 crore in the opening weekend". msn.com.
- "Rudhramadevi Box Office Collection". Box Office. 11 October 2015.
- "'Rudramadevi' (Rudhramadevi) grosses Rs 93.7 crore at box office in 35 days". International Business Times. 15 November 2015.
- "Anushka as a warrior princess". Deccan Chronicle. 4 October 2012. Retrieved 24 November 2012.
- "German technicians to work for Rudrama Devi". Times of India. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- Prasad Shiva (3 April 2013). "Baba Sehgal in Anushka's film". Retrieved 22 April 2013.
- Afrin Humayon (4 May 2013). "Vikramjeet Virk lands in T'wood". Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- "Anushka – Guna Sekhar's Rudramadevi film launch". idlebrain.com. 14 February 2013. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- "Rudhramadevi official trailer crosses million hits". Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- "Rudrama Devi Release Date – Rudrama Devi Latest News – Rudrama Devi Mvie News – Allu Arjun Rana Rudrama Devi Latest News – Anushka Rudrama Devi Movie News – 123telugu.com". 123telugu.com.
- "Rudhramadevi postponed again". Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- "Rudramadevi gets tax exemption – Telugu cinema news". idlebrain.com.
- "Recent Tamil films release online". 15 November 2015. Retrieved 27 December 2017 – via www.thehindu.com.
- "Rudramadevi (Rudhramadevi) Movie Review and Rating: 3.5/5 , Allu Arjun, Anushka". BLR Eagle. Archived from the original on 9 October 2015.
- "Rudramadevi Review Out: UK Film Critic Gives 4 Star Rating – The Hans India". thehansindia.com.
- "'Rudhramadevi' Mints Rs.32 Crore In The Opening Weekend - Koimoi". 12 October 2015. Retrieved 27 December 2017.
- IBTimes. "'Rudhramadevi' (Rudramadevi) 1st week box office collection: Anushka film crosses Rs 55+ crore in 7 days". Retrieved 27 December 2017.
- "'Rudramadevi' (Rudhramadevi) 17-day box office collection: Anushka starrer set to cross Rs 100-crore mark". International Business Times. 28 October 2015.
- "'Rudramadevi' (Rudhramadevi) beats total collection record of Vijay's 'Puli' at US box office". International Business Times. 5 November 2015.
- "Jazbaa Has A Decent Opening Week - 1st Week Box Office Collections - Koimoi". 16 October 2015. Retrieved 27 December 2017.
- IBTimes. "'Rudramadevi' (Rudhramadevi) overseas box office collection: Anushka Shetty starrer earns $990,772 in 24 days". Retrieved 27 December 2017.
- IBTimes. "'Rudramadevi' (Rudhramadevi) collection crosses $993,837 at overseas box office in 31 days". Retrieved 27 December 2017.
- "Rudhramadevi songs". Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- "Rudramadevi to release 3 of its songs on UGADI". Sakshi. Archived from the original on 3 April 2015. Retrieved 21 March 2015.
- Best Telugu Songs and Albums of March 2015 Deccan Music – 31 March 2015