Nazrin Shah of Perak
Sultan Nazrin Muizzuddin Shah ibni Almarhum Sultan Azlan Muhibbuddin Shah Al-Maghfur-Lah (Jawi: سلطان نظرين معز الدين شاه ابن المرحوم سلطان عزلن محب الدين شاه المغفور له؛ born 27 November 1956) has served as the Deputy Yang di-Pertuan Agong since October 2016 and 35th Sultan of Perak since May 2014. He served as the acting Yang di-Pertuan Agong from November 2018 to December 2018 and again in January 2019.
|Deputy Yang di-Pertuan Agong of Malaysia |
Sultan of Perak
|Sultan of Perak|
|Reign||29 May 2014 – present|
|Installation||6 May 2015|
|Crown Prince||Raja Jaafar|
|Born||[fn 1]27 November 1956 |
George Town, Penang, Malaya
|Issue||Raja Azlan Muzzaffar Shah |
Raja Nazira Safya
|House||House of Siak-Perak|
|Father||Sultan Azlan Muhibbuddin Shah ibni Almarhum Sultan Yussuff Izzuddin Shah Ghafarullahu-lah|
|Mother||Raja Permaisuri Siti Bainun binti Mohd Ali|
Sultan Nazrin Shah was born on 27 November 1956 at George Town, Penang, Malaya. during the reign of his grandfather, Sultan Yussuff Izzuddin Shah. He is the eldest son of the late Sultan of Perak, Sultan Azlan Muhibbuddin Shah Ibni Almarhum Sultan Yussuff Izzuddin Shah Ghafarullahu-lah and the former Raja Permaisuri of Perak Tuanku Bainun Binti Mohd Ali.
Academic and Intellectual BackgroundEdit
He studied at Sekolah Rendah Jalan Kuantan, Kuala Lumpur from 1962 to 1967 then followed by lower secondary stage at St. John Institution, Kuala Lumpur from 1968 to 1970, and furthered his upper secondary and sixth form at The Leys School, Cambridge (UK) until 1975.
Sultan Nazrin Shah was born at Penang, Malaya, 27 November 1956 as the first child of late Sultan Azlan Muhibbuddin Shah ibni Almarhum Sultan Yussuff Izzuddin Shah Ghafarullahu-lah, later Sultan Azlan Shah of Perak, and his wife Tuanku Bainun Binti Mohd Ali (herself a member of the Royal House of Perak and much first grandson of her husband's father Sultan Yussuff Izzuddin Shah of Perak)
His siblings are :
Sultan Nazrin was educated at St. John's Institution, Kuala Lumpur and holds a BA degree in Philosophy, Politics and Economics from Worcester College, Oxford. He also holds an MPA degree from John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University, and a PhD degree in Political Economy and Government from Harvard University.
Sultan Nazrin's research interests are in the area of economic and political development in South-East and North-East Asia, historical national income accounting and economic growth in developing countries.
The sultan has also written articles and spoken on a wide range of issues including the role of the constitutional monarchy in Malaysia, education, Islam, ethnic relations and economic development.
He has assumed the role of Financial Ambassador of the Malaysian International Islamic Financial Centre (MIFC), has been Chancellor of Universiti Malaya since 2014 and is the chairman of the Board of Governors of the Malay College Kuala Kangsar.
He is also an Eminent Fellow of the Institute of Strategic and International Studies (ISIS) Malaysia.
Raja Muda of PerakEdit
Raja Dr. Nazrin's full name and official title is In Malay: Duli Yang Teramat Mulia Raja Dr. Nazrin Shah Ibni Sultan Azlan Muhibbuddin Shah, Raja Muda Perak Darul Ridzuan, D.K, D.K II (Selangor), D.K.A,D.K.S.A, S.P.M.P (Perlis), S.P.C.M, S.P.T.S, Ph.D. (Harvard)
in English: His Royal Highness Raja Dr. Nazrin Shah Ibni Sultan Azlan Muhibbuddin Shah, The Raja Muda of Perak Abode of Grace and its dependencies, D.K, D.K II (Selangor), D.K.A, D.K.S.A, S.P.M.P (Perlis), S.P.C.M, S.P.T.S, Ph.D (Harvard)
Sultan of PerakEdit
On 29 May 2014 he became the 35th Sultan of Perak on the death of his father, Sultan Azlan.
Sultan Nazrin's full name and official title is in Malay: Duli Yang Maha Mulia Paduka Seri Sultan Nazrin Muizzuddin Shah Ibni Almarhum Sultan Azlan Muhibbuddin Shah Al-Maghfurlah, Sultan, Yang di-Pertuan dan Raja Pemerintah Negeri Perak Darul Ridzuan dan Jajahan Takluknya, D.K., D.K.S.A., D.K.A.,D.M.N., D.K. (Selangor), D.K. (Kelantan), S.P.C.M, S.P.T.S, S.P.M.P. (Perlis), Ph.D (Harvard), MPA (Harvard).
in English: His Royal Highness Paduka Seri Sultan Nazrin Muizzuddin Shah Ibni Almarhum Sultan Azlan Muhibbuddin Shah Al-Maghfurlah, The Sultan, Sovereign Ruler and Head of the Government of Perak Abode of Grace and its dependencies, D.K., D.K.S.A., D.K.A.,D.M.N., D.K. (Selangor), D.K. (Kelantan), S.P.C.M, S.P.T.S, S.P.M.P. (Perlis), Ph.D (Harvard), MPA (Harvard).
He was also appointed as the Regent of Perak twice. The first time was when his father was elected as the ninth Yang Di-Pertuan Agong, where he became Regent for five years, starting from 26 April 1989 until 25 April 1994. When his father's health deteriorated in 2008, Sultan Nazrin served again as the Regent from 27 January 2008 until he ascended the throne and became the Sultan of Perak in 2014.
Election as Deputy Yang Di-Pertuan AgongEdit
Sultan Nazrin was elected as the Deputy Yang Di-Pertuan Agong of Malaysia on 14 October 2016. The appointment took effect on 13 December 2016.
On 2 November 2018, Sultan Nazrin was proclaimed as the Acting Yang Di-Pertuan Agong after Sultan Muhammad V was on medical leave. He ended his duties on 31 December 2018. However, due to the sudden abdication of Sultan Muhammad V as the 15th Yang Di-Pertuan Agong on 6 January 2019, he became again acting King the very next day whilst the Conference of Rulers elects the 16th Yang Di-Pertuan Agong on 24 January 2019 and the subsequent swearing-in ceremony on 31 January 2019.
In the 251st Meeting of the Conference of Rulers, while Sultan Abdullah of Pahang was elected as the 16th Yang Di Pertuan Agong, Sultan Nazrin was re-elected as the Deputy King for a new 5-year term effective on 31 January 2019. His regency as Acting King ended effective at the stroke of midnight on 31 January 2019.
On 17 September 2021, Sultan Nazrin was proclaimed as the Acting Yang Di-Pertuan Agong after Sultan Abdullah was on a special visit to the United Kingdom. He will end his duties on 23 October 2021.
The day after the wedding there was a ceremony to bestow Tuanku Zara with the official title of Raja Puan Besar (Crown Princess) of Perak. Nazrin's father had proclaimed Zara Salim Davidson as the Crown Princess of Perak and conferred the Darjah Kerabat on her.
The first child of the couple, Raja Azlan Muzzaffar Shah, was born on 14 March 2008, followed by Raja Nazira Safya Shah, was born on 2 August 2011.
Children and their date of birthEdit
|Name||Born||Place of birth||Age|
|His Highness (Yang Teramat Mulia)
Raja Azlan Muzzaffar Shah Ibni Sultan Dr. Nazrin Muizzuddin Shah
Raja Kechil Besar of Perak
|14 March 2008||Damansara Specialist Hospital, Damansara Kim, Selangor||13 years, 6 months and 7 days|
|Her Highness (Yang Teramat Mulia)
Raja Nazira Safya Binti Sultan Dr. Nazrin Muizzuddin Shah
|2 August 2011||Damansara Specialist Hospital, Damansara Kim, Selangor||10 years, 1 month and 19 days|
|Raja Azlan Muzzaffar Shah, Raja Kechil Besar of Perak||14 March 2008|
|Raja Nazira Safya||2 August 2011|
He has been awarded:
Honours of PerakEdit
- Recipient of the Royal Family Order of Perak (DK)
- Superior Class of the Perak Dynastic Order of Sultan Azlan Shah (DKSA, 18 April 2005) 
- Member First Class of the Azlanii Royal Family Order (DKA I) 
- Grand Knight of the Order of Cura Si Manja Kini (the Perak Sword of State, SPCM, 19 April 1986) with title Dato' Seri —current ribbon :
- Knight Grand Commander of the Order of Taming Sari (the Perak State Kris, SPTS, 19 April 1989) with title Dato' Seri Panglima
- Knight Grand Commander of the Order of the Perak State Crown (SPMP) with title Dato' Seri
Honours of MalaysiaEdit
- Malaysia :
- Perlis :
- Selangor :
- Kelantan :
- Kedah :
- Member of the Royal Family Order of Kedah (DK)
- Negeri Sembilan:
- Johor :
- First Class of the Royal Family Order of Johor (DK I, 26 February 2019)
- Member 1st class of the Family Order of the Crown of Indra of Pahang (DK I, 28 November 2019)
- United States:
- Ph.D. in Political Economy and Government from Harvard University - (Dr.)
Places named after himEdit
Several places were named after him, including:
- Raja Muda Nazrin Bridge in Lenggong, Perak
- Raja Dr. Nazrin Shah Mosque in Ipoh, Perak
- Raja Dr. Nazrin Shah Residential College, a residential college at University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur
- Sekolah Menengah Raja Dr. Nazrin Shah, a secondary school in Perak Tengah, Perak
- Jalan Raja Dr. Nazrin Shah in Ipoh, Perak
- Kolej Perikanan Sultan Nazrin Muizzuddin Shah in Lumut, Perak
- The Sultan Nazrin Shah Centre at Worcester College, Oxford, UK
- Masjid Sultan Nazrin Muizzudin Shah in Tapah Perak.
|Ancestors of Nazrin Shah of Perak|
- His birthday is on 27 November but his official birthday is on the first Friday of November
- Anbalagan, V. (29 May 2014) Raja Nazrin proclaimed as the 75th Sultan of Perak, The Malaysian Insider.
- Raja Nazrin proclaimed new Sultan of Perak, The Malay Mail. 30 May 2014
- Pelantikan Sultan Perak ke-35. therakyatpost.com. 29 May 2014
- The Admire Hunkz, Photo of Crown Prince wearing DKSA
- Radin Blog, Royal Family of Perak, Photo of Crown Prince and Family wearing DKA I
- Blog, Photo of Prince Nazrin (third from the left) wearing former SPCM ribbon
- "Semakan Penerima Darjah Kebesaran, Bintang, dan Pingat Persekutuan".
- RIBA Architecture, 
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nazrin Shah of Perak.|
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Nazrin Shah of Perak|
- Official Webpage of the Office of the Sultan of Perak
- Raja Nazrin Politely Declines State Allocation Bernama, 12 May 2007.
- Raja Nazrin's Long-time Friend First To Arrive For Royal Wedding Bernama, 13 May 2007.
- The Day Raja Nazrin Was Best Man Bernama, 14 May 2007.
- Raja Muda Perak And Zara Tie The Knot Bernama, 17 May 2007.
- Full text of speech by Raja Muda of Perak, Raja Nazrin Shah, at the Diversity Matters Forum on Diasporas in the Commonwealth at Monash University, Sunway Campus on 19 November 2008 TheSun, 19 November 2008.