Abdullah of Pahang
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri'ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah ibni Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah Al-Musta'in Billah (born 30 July 1959) is the 16th Yang di-Pertuan Agong (head of state) of Malaysia and the sixth Sultan of Pahang. He was a member of the FIFA Council from 2015 to 2019. He was proclaimed as Sultan on 15 January 2019, succeeding his father, Sultan Ahmad Shah, whose abdication was decided at a Royal Council meeting on 11 January.
|Yang di-Pertuan Agong XVI|
Sultan of Pahang
|Yang di-Pertuan Agong|
|Reign||31 January 2019 – present|
|Prime Minister||Mahathir Mohamad|
|Sultan of Pahang|
|Reign||11 January 2019 – present|
|Heir apparent||Tengku Hassanal Ibrahim Shah|
|Chief Minister||Wan Rosdy Wan Ismail|
|Born||30 July 1959|
Istana Mangga Tunggal, Pekan, Pahang, Malaya
(now Pekan, Pahang, Malaysia)
Cik Puan Julia Rais (m. 1991)
|Issue||Tengku Amir Nasser Ibrahim Shah (adopted) |
Tengku Iskandar Shah (died 1990)
Tengku Hassanal Ibrahim Alam Shah
Tengku Muhammad Iskandar Ri’ayatuddin Shah
Tengku Ahmad Ismail Shah
Tengku Puteri Afzan Aminah Hafizatullah
Tengku Puteri Jihan Azizah Athiyatullah
Tengku Puteri Iman Afzan
Tengku Puteri Ilisha Ameera
|Father||Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah Al-Musta'in Billah|
|Mother||Tengku Ampuan Afzan|
On 24 January 2019, days after his accession to the throne of Pahang, he was elected as the 16th Yang di-Pertuan Agong of Malaysia. He was sworn in on 31 January.
He is the first son of Paduka Ayahanda Sultan Ahmad Shah of Pahang and Tengku Ampuan Afzan. He is the fourth child among eight siblings. His eldest sibling is Tengku Meriam. Tengku Abdullah started his education at St. Thomas School, Kuantan and continued to Aldenham School and Davis College, London. He also attended The Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, United Kingdom as well as Worcester College and Queen Elizabeth College, also in the United Kingdom and gained a Diploma in International Relations and Diplomacy.
Tengku Mahkota and Regent of PahangEdit
Before becoming Sultan of Pahang in January 2019, Abdullah held the position of Tengku Mahkota, a position which was conferred on him by his father in 1975. Abdullah held the position for 44 years before becoming Sultan in January 2019. Apart of that, Abdullah was also appointed as Regent of Pahang twice, for the first time when his father was elected Yang Di-Pertuan Agong on 26 April 1979 until 25 April 1984. In 2016, when his father's health deteriorated, Abdullah again served as Regent.
Sultan of PahangEdit
On 15 January 2019, at the age of 59, Abdullah was proclaimed as the sixth Sultan of modern Pahang upon the abdication of his father due to ill health. The ceremony took place at Istana Abu Bakar, the official residence of the Sultan of Pahang. His reign was declared retroactively began on 11 January 2019, the day the Regency Council decided his succession.
Upon his accession to throne of Pahang, Abdullah took the regnal title Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri'ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah. His royal consort, Tunku Azizah Aminah Maimunah Iskandariah Binti Almarhum Sultan Iskandar, the Tengku Puan Pahang has been proclaimed as the Kebawah Duli Yang Maha Mulia Tengku Ampuan Pahang on 29 January 2019.
Election as the 16th Yang di-Pertuan Agong of MalaysiaEdit
On the 24th of January 2019 Thursday, the Conference of Rulers elected Sultan Abdullah as the sixteenth Yang di-Pertuan Agong of Malaysia to replace Sultan Muhammad V of Kelantan who abdicated weeks earlier. Sultan Abdullah was sworn in as the 16th King of Malaysia on 31 January 2019 in a public ceremony as he officially took up the residency of the Istana Negara, Jalan Tuanku Abdul Halim.
The Conference of Rulers also elected Sultan Nazrin Muizzuddin Shah of Perak as the Deputy Yang di-Pertuan Agong. Regarding the regency of Pahang throughout Sultan Abdullah's tenure as the Yang di-Pertuan Agong, the duty of ruling the state was handed to Sultan Abdullah's son, Tengku Hassanal Ibrahim, who was proclaimed as the Tengku Mahkota and Regent of Pahang on 29 January 2019.
He is currently assisted in the performance of his duties by the Majlis Jumaah Pangkuan Diraja Negeri Pahang (Pahang State Regency Council) led by Sultan Abdullah's eldest younger brother who is also Tengku Hassanal's uncle, Tengku Abdul Rahman Ibni Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah. Tengku Hassanal Ibrahim Shah is currently still pursuing his studies at the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, United Kingdom.
He first married at the Sultan Abu Bakar State Mosque, Johor Bahru, 6 March 1986 to the third daughter of Sultan Iskandar of Johor with his first wife, Enche' Besar Kalsom binti Abdullah (née Josephine Ruby Treverrow) K.D.Y.T.M. Tunku Hajah Azizah Aminah Maimunah Iskandariah binti Sultan Iskandar Al-Haj, (born at the Istana Bukit Stulang, Johor Bahru, 5 August 1960). She has been created Tengku Puan in addition to her Johor title of Paduka Putri Tunku in 1986. She is one of the sisters of the current Sultan Ibrahim Ismail of Johor. They have four sons and two daughters together.
He married, secondly, in 1991 with Cik Puan Julia Rais (born at Kota Bharu, Kelantan, 19 February 1971), a former actress, daughter of Abdul Rais. They have three daughters together.
- a) late Yang Amat Mulia Tengku Ahmad Iskandar Shah, born and died on 24 July 1990, son of Azizah
- b) Kebawah Duli Yang Teramat Mulia Tengku Hassanal Ibrahim Alam Shah (shortly Tengku Hassanal) born at Kuantan Hospital on  17 September 1995, son of Azizah
- c) Yang Amat Mulia Tengku Muhammad Iskandar Ri’ayat ud-din Shah (shortly Tengku Muhammad), born on  3 August 1997, son of Azizah
- d) Yang Amat Mulia Tengku Ahmad Ismail Mu’adzam Shah (shortly Tengku Ahmad Ismail), born on  11 September 2000, twin with his sister Afzan, son of Azizah
- a) Yang Amat Mulia Tengku Puteri Iman Afzan, daughter of Julia Abdul Rais (born in 11 November 1992 at Pantai Hospital Kuala Lumpur. She married with Yang Mulia Tengku Abu Bakar Ahmad Bin Tengku Arif Bendahara Tengku Abdullah (24/08/2018)
- b) Yang Amat Mulia Tengku Ilisha Ameera, daughter of Julia Abdul Rais (born 1 October 1993 Pantai Hospital Kuala Lumpur.
- c) Yang Amat Mulia Tengku Ilyana, daughter of Julia Rais, (born on 20 April 1997 at Gleneagles Hospital Kuala Lumpur.
- d) Yang Amat Mulia Tengku Puteri Afzan Aminah Hafizatu’llah (shortly Tengku Afzan), born on  11 September 2000 , twin with her brother Ahmad, daughter of Azizah.
- e) Yang Amat Mulia Tengku Puteri Jihan Azizah Athiyatullah (shortly Tengku Jihan), born on  27 April 2002 , daughter of Azizah).
Al-Sultan Abdullah also adopted a son before the birth of his own:
- Yang Amat Mulia Tengku Amir Nasser Ibrahim bin Tengku Arif Bendahara Ibrahim, adopted in 1987. He was born on 25 August 1986 as the youngest son of the late Tengku Arif Bendahara Ibrahim and his third wife, Czarina binti Abdullah.
Yang Amat Mulia Tengku Amir Nasser Ibrahim and Yang Mulia Puteri Suraiya Afzan Binti Mohamed Moiz married on 19 December 2013. The couple's first child, a son named Yang Mulia Tengku Adam Ibrahim Shah, was born on 27 December 2015. Their second, a son named Yang Mulia Tengku Sulaiman Abdullah Shah, was born 25 June 2018.
Titles and stylesEdit
|Reference style||His Majesty|
|Spoken style||Your Majesty|
- 30 July 1959 – 8 May 1974: His Highness (Yang Mulia) Tengku Abdullah ibni Tengku Ahmad Shah
- 8 May 1974 – 1 July 1975: His Highness (Yang Amat Mulia) Tengku Abdullah ibni Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah Al-Musta’in Billah
- 1 July 1975 – 28 April 1979: His Royal Highness (Kebawah Duli Yang Teramat Mulia) Tengku Abdullah Al-Haj ibni Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah Al-Musta’in Billah, the Tengku Mahkota of Pahang
- 28 April 1979 – 26 April 1984: His Royal Highness (Kebawah Duli Yang Maha Mulia) Tengku Abdullah Al-Haj ibni Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah Al-Musta’in Billah, the Tengku Mahkota and Regent of Pahang
- 26 April 1984 – 28 December 2016: His Royal Highness (Kebawah Duli Yang Teramat Mulia) Tengku Abdullah Al-Haj ibni Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah Al-Musta’in Billah, the Tengku Mahkota of Pahang
- 28 December 2016 – 15 January 2019: His Royal Highness (Kebawah Duli Yang Maha Mulia) Tengku Abdullah Al-Haj ibni Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah Al-Musta’in Billah, the Tengku Mahkota and Regent of Pahang
- 15 January 2019 – 31 January 2019: His Royal Highness (Kebawah Duli Yang Maha Mulia) Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri'ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah ibni Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah Al-Musta’in Billah, The Sultan of Pahang
- 31 January 2019 - Present: His Majesty (Kebawah Duli Yang Maha Mulia Seri Paduka Baginda) Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri'ayatuddin Al Mustafa Billah Shah ibni Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah Al-Musta’in Billah, The Yang di-Pertuan Agong XVI
He holds the rank of Marshal of the Royal Malaysian Air Force in his full constitutional duties as Commander-in-Chief of the Malaysian Armed Forces as well as the ranks of Field Marshal of the Malaysian Army and Admiral of the Fleet of the Royal Malaysian Navy, in addition, he is the current Colonel-in-chief of the Royal Malaysian Air Force, having taken over the duties since his assumption to the throne, previously he acted as his father's representative to RMAF events and ceremonies twice in his capacity as Regent.
Awards and recognitionsEdit
He has been awarded :
Honours of PahangEdit
- Pahang :
- Grand Master and Member of the Royal Family Order of Pahang (DKP)
- Grand Master and Member 1st class of the Family Order of the Crown of Indra of Pahang (DK I)
- Grand Master and Grand Knight of the Order of Sultan Ahmad Shah of Pahang (SSAP, 24 October 1980)
- Grand Master and Grand Knight of the Order of the Crown of Pahang (SIMP)
Malaysia and its other statesEdit
- Recipient (DMN, 14 February 2019) and Grand Master of the Order of the Crown of the Realm (31 January 2019) 
- Grand Master of the Order of the Defender of the Realm (31 January 2019)
- Grand Master of the Order of Loyalty to the Crown of Malaysia (31 January 2019)
- Grand Master of the Order of Merit of Malaysia (31 January 2019)
- Grand Master of the Order for Important Services (31 January 2019)
- Grand Master of the Order of Loyalty to the Royal Family of Malaysia (31 January 2019)
- Order of Military Service of Malaysia (PAT)
- Johor :
- Terengganu :
- Member first class of the Family Order of Terengganu (DK I)
|Ancestors of Abdullah of Pahang|
- Stadium Astro
- Malaysia Kini
- "Brigadier-General H.R.H. Paduka Sri Sultan Mahmud Iskandar al-Haj ibni al-Marhum Sultan Sir Ismail, Sultan of Johor" as cited in Royal Ark
- The Royal Ark, Johor genealogical details, p.10
- The Royal Ark, Pahang genealogical details, p.10
- Photo of Hassanal with parents Abdullah and Azizah
- Photo of Azizah with her children : Tengku Muhammad (top left), Tengku Hassanal (top right), Tengku Ahmad Ismail (down left with blue jacket), Tengku Jahan (down center) and Tengku Afzan (down right with glasses).
- "Agong receives Darjah Utama Seri Mahkota Negara award". www.bernama.com. Retrieved 2019-02-20.
- Agong attends Sultan of Brunei's Golden Jubilee royal banquet