A request that this article title be changed to List of sovereign states by population (United Nations) is under discussion. Please do not move this article until the discussion is closed.
This is a list of countries and other inhabited territories of the world by total population, based on estimates published by the United Nations in the 2019 revision of World Population Prospects. These figures refer to the de facto population in a country or area as shown in the "estimates" section.
- List of countries and dependencies by population
- List of countries by past and projected future population
- Demographics of Antarctica
- List of African countries by population
- List of Asian countries by population
- List of European countries by population
- List of North American countries by population
- List of Oceanian countries by population
- List of South American countries by population
- List of Arab countries by population
- List of countries in the Americas by population
- List of Eurasian countries by population
- List of Middle Eastern countries by population
- Refers to mainland China only. The UN source document states: "For statistical purposes, the data for China do not include Special Administrative Regions (SAR) of China (Hong Kong and Macau) and Taiwan."
- Refers to metropolitan France only.
- Including Zanzibar.
- Including the Canary Islands, Ceuta, and Melilla.
- Including Crimea, the Donetsk People's Republic, the Luhansk People's Republic, and Sevastopol.
- Including Christmas Island, the Cocos (Keeling) Islands, and Norfolk Island.
- Listed as China, Taiwan Province of China.
- Refers to the European Netherlands only.
- Including Somaliland.
- Including the Azores and Madeira.
- Including Artsakh (Nagorno-Karabakh).
- Including Kosovo.
- Listed as China, Hong Kong SAR.
- Including Åland.
- Including Svalbard and Jan Mayen.
- Including East Jerusalem.
- Including Transnistria.
- Including Abkhazia and South Ossetia.
- Including Northern Cyprus.
- Listed as China, Macao SAR.
- Disputed territory. Administration is split between Morocco and the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic, both of which claim the entire territory. The Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic's administrative control is limited to approximately 20% of the territory, with the remaining 80% of the territory occupied by Morocco.
- Including Saint Barthélemy and Saint Martin.
- Including Guernsey and Jersey.
- Listed as Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba.
- Including Saint Helena, Ascension, and Tristan da Cunha.
- Listed as the Holy See.
- "UNSD — Methodology". unstats.un.org.
- "Total Population - Both Sexes". World Population Prospects, the 2019 Revision. United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division, Population Estimates and Projections Section. June 2022. Retrieved 17 June 2019.
- "Total population, both sexes combined (thousands)". UNdata. United Nations Statistics Division. 17 June 2019. Retrieved 30 July 2019.
- "Definition of Regions". World Population Prospects, the 2019 Revision. United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division, Population Estimates and Projections Section. June 2019. Archived from the original on 8 September 2018. Retrieved 17 June 2019.