Hakim Syed Zillur Rahman
Hakim Syed Zillur Rahman is well known for his contribution to Unani medicine. He founded Ibn Sina Academy of Medieval Medicine and Sciences in 2000. He has earlier served as Professor and chairman, Department of Ilmul Advia at the Ajmal Khan Tibbiya College, Aligarh Muslim University (AMU), Aligarh, for over 40 years before retiring as Dean Faculty of Unani Medicine. Presently, he is serving AMU as "Honorary Treasurer".
Hakim Syed Zillur Rahman
Hakim Syed Zillur Rahman
|Alma mater||Aligarh Muslim University, Darul-uloom Nadwatul Ulama|
|Known for||Unani medicine & History of medicine|
|Children||Safia Akhtar, Syed Ziaur Rahman, Soofia Akhtar, Asifa Haneefa|
|Parent(s)||Hakim Syed Fazlur Rahman|
|Relatives||Hakim Syed Karam Husain (Grand father)|
Early life and educationEdit
Rahman was born on 1 July 1940, at Bhopal, Bhopal State (now in Madhya Pradesh) in a family of learned scholars. His grandfather Hakim Syed Karam Husain, father Hakim Syed Fazlur Rahman and uncle Hakim Syed Atiqul Qadir were famous Unani Physicians of their times at Tijara / Bhopal. He is married to Ahmadi Begum and has four children: Safia Akhtar, Syed Ziaur Rahman, Soofia Akhtar and Asifa Haneefa.
Rahman started his career from Ajmal Khan Tibbiya College, Aligarh Muslim University as Demonstrator in 1961 and then Lecturer from Jamia Tibbiya, Delhi, he was appointed reader in 1973 and professor in 1983. He remained Chairman of the Department of Ilmul Advia for 18 years and Dean of the Faculty of Unani Medicine, Aligarh Muslim University."
His entire work concerns with history of medicine particularly of medieval medicine and medicine in medieval Islam. He is himself a diligent explorer of Unani medicine for old Arabic and Persian manuscripts.
Following is the list of important books that he authored:
- Daur Jadeed Aur Tibb, 1963. (Book in Urdu on Modern times and Unani medicine)
- Tarikh llm Tashrih, 1967. (Book in Urdu on History of anatomy)
- Ilmul Amraz, 1969. (Based on Avicenna's tract on Pathology in Urdu)
- Resalah Judia, 1971. (Based on Avicenna's tested Prescriptions in Urdu)
- Tajdeed Tibb, 1972. (Book in Urdu on Unani medicine)
- Bayaz Waheedi, 1974. (Book in Urdu on Prescriptions and formulations by Hakim Abdul Waheed)
- Matab Murtaish, 1976. (Book in Urdu on Unani Formularies used by Azizi Family of Lucknow)
- Tazkerah Khandan Azizi 1978. (Book in Urdu on History of Azizi Family of Unani medicine)
- Kitabul Murakkabat 1980. (Book in Urdu on Pharmaceutical formulation of Unani medicine)
- Safvi Ahad Main Ilm Tashreeh Ka Mutala, 1983. (Book in Urdu on Studies of History of anatomy during Safavid dynasty)
- Hayat Karam Hussain, 1983. (Biography of Hakim Syed Karam Husain in Urdu)
- The Azizi Family of Physicians, 1983. (Book in English on Azizi Family of Unani medicine)
- Aligarh Key Tibbi Makhtootat, 1984. (Book in Urdu on Manuscripts of Unani medicine extant in Aligarh)
- Qanoon lbn Sina Aur Uskey Shareheen wa Mutarjemeen, 1986. (Based on references and translations of the works of Ibn Sina in Urdu)
- Risalah Nabidh (Edited with Facsimile), 1986. (Book in Urdu and Arabic on Nabidh by Qusta ibn Luqa)
- Tibb Firoz Shahi, 1990. (Book in Urdu on Unani medicine during Firuz Shah Tughlaq)
- Research in Ilmul Advia, 1990. (Book in English on Research in Unani Pharmacology)
- Risalah Atrilal, 1993. (Book in Arabic on Treatise on Ammi majus Linn)
- Studies in Ilmul Advia, 1994. (Book in English on Studies on Unani Pharmacology)
- Dilli aur Tibb Unani, 1995. (Book in Urdu on History of Unani medicine in Delhi)
- AI-Advia al-Qalbia, 1996. (Book in Urdu on Avicenna's treatise on Cardiac drugs)
- Iran Nama, 1998. (Iran Travelogue / Travel journal in Urdu)
- Tibbi Taqdame, 2001. (Based on Prefaces written for many books of other Unani scholars in Urdu)
- Aina-e Tarikh Tibb, 2001. (Based on chapters written on History of Unani medicine in Urdu)
- Asmaul Advia, 2002 (Based on Names of Pharmaceutics in Unani medicine in Urdu)
- Maqalat Shifaul Mulk Hakim Abdul Latif, 2002 (Based on Unani articles written by Shifaul Mulk Hakim Abdul Latif in Urdu)
- Hakim Ajmal Khan, 2004 (Biography of Hakim Ajmal Khan in Urdu and Hindi)
- Persian Translation of Qanun Ibn Sina aur uskey Shirehin wa Mutarjamin, 2004 (Based on references and translations of the works of Ibn Sina in Persian)
- Safar Nama Bangladesh, 2006 (Bangladesh Travelogue / Travel journal in Urdu
- Jawami Kitab Al-Nabd Al-Saghir by Galen, 2007 (Based on Galen's treatise on arterial and venous pulse in Urdu and Arabic)
- Risalah Fi Auja Al Niqris by Qusta Ibn Luqa, 2007 (Based on Al Niqris by Qusta ibn Luqa in Urdu and Arabic)
- Ainul Hayat by Mohammad Ibn Yusuf Harawi, 2007 (Based on Ageing and senile problems by Muhammad ibn Yusuf al-Harawi in Urdu and Arabic)
- Rislah fil Nabidh, 2007 (Based on Arabic translation by Qusta ibn Luqa on Treatise of Nabidh by Rufus of Ephesus in Urdu and Arabic)
- Kitab al Anasir by Galen, 2008 (Based on al Anasir by Galen in Urdu and Arabic)
- Kitab Al Mizaj by Galen, 2008 (Based on Theory of temperament and Four humours by Galen in Urdu and Arabic)
- Kitab fi Firaq al Tibb by Galen 2008 (Based on a book fi al Firaq by Galen in Urdu and Arabic)
- Tazkira Atibba-e-Asr, 2010 (Biographies of Unani scholars of contemporary age in Urdu)
- Post Graduate Education, Research Methodology and Manuscript Studies in Unani Medicine, 2011 (Edited Book in English on Research methodology in Unani medicine)
- Ross Masud, 2011 (Book on the Biography of Ross Masood in Urdu)
- Mîzân-i Harf, 2012 (Book based on essays and chapters on the life of Syed Amin Ashraf)
- Risala Khizab, 2013 (Book based on Hair coloring)
- Manzoom Tibbi Rasail, 2013
- Shifaul Amraz, 2015
- Dewan-e Ghalib (Based on Ghalib's Poetry collection printed in 1863)
- Mujarrbat-e Karam Hussain, 2015 (Based on prescription of Hakim Syed Karam Husain)
- Ibn Sina Yadgari Khutbat, 2016
- Hakim Ahsanullah Khan, 2017 (Book based on biography; prime minister of Bahadur Shah Zafar)
- English Translation of Qanun Ibn Sina aur uskey Shirehin wa Mutarjamin, 2012 Translator Zakaria Virk, Toronto, Canada
- By his personal efforts made the Department of Ilmul Advia, Ajmal Khan Tibbia College, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh as a center of excellence. A new building of the department with all modern facilities in the laboratories was constructed under his able guidance and chairmanship. He raised both name and fame of this department at national and international level.
- He assisted in the establishment of Ibn Sina Tibbia College at Beenapara, Azamgarh of which he laid the foundation stone on 25 January 1981.
- He established his personal library-cum-museum in 1960s, which became part of 'Shifa-al Mulk Hakim Abdul Latif Memorial Committee' in 1970. After the establishment of Ibn Sina Academy of Medieval Medicine and Sciences in 2000, this library (Hakim Zillur Rahman Library) and museum (Hakim Karam Hussain Museum on History of Medicine & Science and Hakim Fazlur Rahman Museum on Arts, Culture & Orientalism) have now become a part of the academy. The library at present houses one of the most precious and valuable collection of 20,000 printed books, 500 manuscripts", some rare books, microfilms, compact discs, a large number of periodicals and manuscript catalogues. Books in many languages like Arabic, Persian, Urdu, Sanskrit and English on a variety of subjects like History of Medicine and History of Science, Unani, Medieval medicine, Ilmul Advia (Pharmacology), Urdu Literature with special reference to Ghalib, Iqbal, Aligarh and Sir Syed Ahmad Khan are also extant in this library. In addition, there is a Publication Division under the Shifaul Mulk Hakim Abdul Latif Memorial Committee, Centre for Safety & Rational Use of Indian Systems of Medicine, Ibn Sina Shifakhana, AIDS Cell & Ghalib Study Centre.
- He edited 'Al-Hikmat' (Monthly Unani Literary Magazine) from 1965 to 1970.
Awards and honoursEdit
- Ayurvedic and Tibbi Academy Award, Government of UP, Lucknow, 1968.
- Urdu Academy Award, Government of UP, Lucknow, 1974.
- Urdu Academy Award, Government of UP, Lucknow, 1978.
- Urdu Academy Award, Government of UP, Lucknow, 1993.
- Certificate of honours for outstanding contribution to Persian Language, (President of India Award on Independence day, 15 August 1995).
- Short-term Consultant, World Health Organization to the South East Asia Region for development of Unani Medicine in Bangladesh, 1996.
- Shifaul Mulk Hakim Habibur Rahman Memorial Foundation Shield, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 1996.
- Visiting Professor, Hamdard University, Karachi, Pakistan, 1997.
- lmtiaz-e Mir Award, All India Mir Academy, Lucknow, 1997.
- Pakistan Tibbi Pharmaceutical Manufacture's Council, Pakistan, 1997.
- Conferment of title: Reflective thinker and Researcher, ldara Sada-e-Qasmi, Karachi, Pakistan, 1997.
- Urdu Academy Award, Government of UP, Lucknow, 1998.
- Hakim Said Memorial Lecture, Hamdard Foundation, Hamdard University, Karachi, 2004
- Institute of Alternative Medicine, Karachi, Pakistan, 2004
- Padma Shri by Government of India, 2006.
- Ibn Sina Award, All India Unani Tibbi Congress, 2009
- Maulana Azad National Award, Milli Educational Foundation & All India Urdu Educational Committee, 2009
- Felicitated by Azam Tibbia College, Hyderabad, Sindh, Pakistan, 2004; Punjab Tibbia College, Jhang, Pakistan, 1997; Ajmal Tibbia College, Rawalpindi, Pakistan, 1997; AR Memorial Tibbia College, Lahore, Pakistan, 1997; Anjuman Himayat Islam Tibbia College, Lahore 1997, 2004 and 2008
- Hakim Ahmed Ashraf Memorial Global Award – Awarded in 2009, by Hakim Ahmed Ashraf Memorial Society (Regd.), Hyderabad.
- D.Litt (Honoris Causa) Awarded by Hamdard University, Karachi, Pakistan, 2013.
- Yash Bharti Award, Government of Uttar Pradesh, 2015
- Nawab Siddiq Hasan Khan Award, Madhya Pradesh Urdu Academy, Government of Madhya Pradesh, 2018
- "Honorary Treasurer". Aligarh Muslim University. 2018. Retrieved 6 December 2018.
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Archived from the original (PDF) on 15 November 2014. Retrieved July 21, 2015.
- "Brief Biography". Germany.
- "Biography" (PDF). International Institute of Islamic Medicine, USA.
- "List of Books". Open Library.
- Hakim Syed Zillur Rahman (1962), Daur-e Jadeed aur Tib, Bhopal, India: Tibbi Academy, India
- Hakim Syed Zillur Rahman (1983, revised second edition 2008), Ḥayāt-i Karam Ḥusain, ʻAlīgaṛh: [s.n.] Check date values in:
- "Commentaries, Sources and Editions of The Canon of Medicine". Ibn Sina Academy of Medieval Medicine & Sciences. External link in
- "Dilli aur Tibb-e Unani". Urdu Academy, Govt. of NCT, Delhi. Archived from the original on 16 February 2010. Retrieved 17 March 2010.
- "Visit of Ibn Sina Academy" (PDF). S. Moinuddin Alvi, Aligarh.[dead link]
- "Zillur Rahman Library, India". United States National Library of Medicine, National Institute of Health.
- "Manuscripts Catalogues at Zillur Rahman Library". Microfilm Centre of India. Archived from the original on 14 July 2011.
- "Manuscripts Libraries". Microfilm Centre of India. Archived from the original on 19 February 2010.
- Bhopal ka Maya-i naz Sapoot: Padma Shri Hakim Syed Zillur Rahman, by Kausar Siddiqi (Bhopal), Karwan-e Adab, January – March 2011, p. 10 – 16.
- Hakim Syed Zillur Rahman – Hayat wa Khidmat, Aik Jaiza, Swad-e Harf (First edition 2011), Authored by Dr. Mukhtar Shamim, Bhopal, p. 112 – 127.
- Hakim Syed Zillur Rahman – Eik Mut'ala (A monograph) by Dr. Fakhre Alam, Ibn Sina Academy, Aligarh, 2010; ISBN 978-93-8061-003-0.
- Hakim Syed Zillur Rahman – Hayat wa Khidmat (A voluminous biography), Ed. Dr. Hasan Abbas (Banaras Hindu University) & Dr. A. Latif (Aligarh Muslim University), Markaz Tahqiqat Farsi wa Urdu, Siwan (Bihar), 2005, page 604.
- Muslims in India, Ed. Ratna Sahai, Ministry of External Affairs, Govt. of India, New Delhi.
- Investiture Ceremony Brochure, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Dept. of Education, New Delhi, 10 August 1996.
- Hakim Syed Zillur Rahman Ek Mumtaz aur Yagana Sifat Tibbi Shakhsiyat by Basheer Zafar, Asrar-i Hikmat, Special Number, Lahore, 1970.
- Professor Hakim Syed Zillur Rahman, by Dr. Rais Ahmad Naumani, Qaumi Awaz, 4 December 1995, New Delhi and Rehnumi Sehat, Faisalabad, Pakistan, April 1998, pp. 9 – 15.
- Hakim Syed Zillur Rahman – Shakhsiyat aur Fan by Hakim Shafqat Azmi, Rahnuma-i Sehat, Faisalabad, Pakistan, January 1998.
- Mufakir wa Mohaqiq Tibb-i Unani – Professor Zillur Rahman ka Tarikhi Taruf by Hakim Mohd. Qasim Siddiqui, Sada-i Qasmi Procedures, Karachi, 1997.
- My Days at Aligarh, Autobiography by Prof. M. N. Farooqui, Former vice-chancellor, AMU, Aligarh, 1995.
- Hakim Syed Zillur Rahman ke Azeem Ilmi Karname by Mr. Farooq Nafey of Qaide Azam University, Islamabad, Tahzibul Akhlaq, Lahore, Pakistan, April 1997.
- Special Brochure on the Title Ceremony, Sada-i Qasmi, Karachi, Pakistan, July 1997.
- Souvenir, Hindustan Mein Tibbi Unani (Past, Present, Future), All India Unani Tibbi Conference, New Delhi, 1993.
- Dastawaiz, Urdu Academy, Govt. of U.P., Lucknow, 1983.
- Hakim Syed Zillur Rahman – Aik Ilmi Shakhsiyat by Prof. Nisar Ahmad Faruqui, Idrak, Gopalpur, Bakarganj, Siwan (Bihar), 213–216: No. 3, 2003
- Hakim Syed Zillur Rahman – Aik Maya’ naz Shakhsiyat by Dr. Abdul Latif, Idrak, Gopalpur, Bakarganj, Siwan (Bihar), 217–222: No. 3, 2003
- Hakim Syed Zillur Rahman Number, Idrak (5), Gopalpur, Bakarganj, Siwan (Bihar), 2005.
- First "Professor Hakim Syed Zillur Rahman Oration" Delivered by Prof. Hakim Abdul Hannan, Dean, Faculty of Eastern Medicine, Hamdard University, Karachi, at International Integrative Medicine Conference, Karachi, Pakistan, 24–26 Nov. 2008
- Tibb-e Unani main Urdu tarjume ki rawayat aur Hakim Syed Zillur Rahman – aik tanqeedi aur tajziati muttala by Hakim Fakhre Alam, Uni-Med – Kulliyat 2007, Vol 3, No. 1: 2–11
- Aks Khama Hakim Syed Zillur Rahman by Hakim Fakhre Alam, Aligarh, 2008