Gummadi Venkateswara Rao (9 July 1927 – 26 January 2010) was an Indian actor and producer, known for his works predominantly in Telugu cinema and a few Tamil films. Known as one of the finest method actors, Gummadi starred in around five hundred feature films. He received critical recognition for his work in Thodu Dongalu (1954) and Mahamantri Timmarusu (1962), for which he has received the erstwhile Rashtrapati Award. Gummadi was an official member of the Indian delegation from South India to the Tashkent Film Festival in 1978 and 1982.
Gummadi Venkateswara Rao
9 July 1927
|Died||26 January 2010 (aged 82)|
|Awards||Padma Shri |
Gummadi served as a jury member thrice for the 28th, 33rd and 39th National Film Awards. He served twice on the state Nandi Awards Committee. In 1977, he was awarded India's fourth-highest civilian honor Padma Shri for his contributions to Indian cinema. He is widely known for his roles in films such as Maya Bazar (1957), Maa Inti Mahalakshmi (1959), Kula Daivam (1960), Kula Gothralu (1962), Jyothi (1976), Nelavanka (1981), Maro Malupu (1982), Ekalavya (1982), Ee Charitra Ye Siraatho? (1982), Gaaju Bommalu (1983) and Pelli Pustakam (1991). In 2008 he starred in Jagadguru Sree Kasi Nayana Charitra which is his last film.
He was born in Ravikampadu near Kollur mandal, in the erstwhile Madras Presidency (now Andhra Pradesh), India. According to one of his interviews, he studied in ZP High School, Kollur and Hindu College, Guntur.
Gummadi's acting career extended from 1950 onwards for almost six decades and he worked with three generations of people in the film industry. Though young, he played dignified older people at the beginning. He was a versatile character actor in sociopolitical and mythological movies. He acted in nearly 500 movies. He played the role of father to many lead actors in old Telugu films.
Gummadi Venkateswara Rao first appeared as an actor in 1942, where he played the role of an old man on the stage. He began his cinema career with Adrushtadeepudu (1950) and continued on for about 500 more films portraying roles ranging from the hero, the villain and the character artiste, to roles with a slight comedic bent, such as his guest appearance in Missamma (1955).
Characters played by himEdit
Gummadi was married and had five daughters and two sons. He died of multiple organ failure at Care hospital, Hyderabad on 26 January 2010. His last public appearance was at the screening of Maya Bazar, which had been colourised. Here he expressed his happiness and said that "Watching this great movie in colour probably could have been the only reason for me to have stayed alive for so long."
- Gummadi has written his memoirs of Telugu cinema in Teepi Gurthulu and Chedu Gnapakalu.
- Civilian honors
- Best acting for Mahamantri Timmarusu (1963)
- Raghupathi Venkaiah Award for contribution to Telugu cinema (1998)
- Nandi Award for Best Supporting Actor - Maro Malupu (1982)
- Other Honors
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (November 2017)
|1950||Adrushta Deepudu||Debut film|
|1953||Pitchi Pullaiah||Bhopala Rao|
|1955||Kanyasulkam||Sowjanya Rao Pantulu|
|Missamma||Employer (guest role)|
|Dongallo Dora||Inspector Ram Murthy|
|Ettuku Pai Ettu||Govindaiah|
|Maa Inti Mahalakshmi|
|Nammina Bantu||Zamindar Bhujanga Rao|
|Sahasra Siracheda Apoorva Chinthamani|
|Sri Venkateswara Mahatyam||Bhrigu Maharshi|
|1961||Bharya Bharthalu||Anand's father|
|Iddaru Mitrulu||Bhanoji Rao|
|Sri Seetha Rama Kalyanam||Vishwamitra Maharshi|
|Mahamantri Timmarusu||Mahamantri Timmarusu|
|Siri Sampadalu||Jagapati Naidu|
|1963||Chaduvukunna Ammayilu||Venkat Rangayya|
|Irugu – Porugu|
|Sri Krishnarjuna Yudham||Yudhishthira|
|Aggimeedha Guggilam||as king|
|Dr. Chakravarthy||Inspector Sridhar|
|Pooja Phalam||Diwan Ramakrishnaiah|
|Naadi Aada Janme|
|Shri Krishna Pandaviyam|
|Private Master||Sundari's father|
|Bangaru Gaajulu||Chandra Shekaram|
|Govula Gopanna||Chairman Nagaraju|
|Shri Rama Katha|
|Jai Jawan||Madhava Rao|
|Mosagallaku Mosagadu||Daanala Dharmayya|
|Prem Nagar||Lata's father|
|Shri Krishna Satya|
|Pavitra Hrudayalu||Nagendra Babu|
|Bala Mitrula Katha||Kotaiah|
|Koduku Kodalu||Srihari Rao|
|Tata Manavadu||Paramatma Rao|
|Vichitra Bandham||Ahobila Rao|
|Attanu Diddina Kodalu|
|1973||Jeevana Tarangalu||Venugopal Rao|
|Marapurani Manishi||Ananda Rao|
|1974||Alluri Seetharama Raju|
|Anaganaga Oka Thandri|
|Gali Patalu||Inspector Sekhar|
|1975||Moguda Pellama||Dharma Rao|
|Neram Nadi Kadu Akalidi|
|Manchiki Maro Peru|
|Oka Deepam Veligindhi|
|1977||Aalu Magalu||Ranga Rao|
|Janma janmala bandham|
|Daana Veera Soora Karna||Parasu Ramudu|
|Seeta Rama Vanavasam|
|1978||Chal Mohana Ranga|
|Akbar Saleem Anarkali|
|Devadasu Malli Puttadu||Sripathi Raja|
|Muddula Koduku||Raobahadoor Ranga Rao|
|Naa Illu Naa Vaalu|
|Shri Tirupati Venkateswara Kalyanam||Hathiram Bhavaji|
|Buchi Babu||Buchi Babu's grandfather|
|Sardar Papa Rayudu|
|Shri Vasavi Kannika Parameshwari Mahatyam|
|1981||Agni Poolu||Rajeshwari's father|
|Prema Mandiram||Bhupati Raja|
|Ee Charitra Ae Siratho|
|Maro Malupu||Nandi Award for Best Actor|
|Ee Pillaku Pellavuthundha|
|Shri Datta Darshanam||Jamadagni|
|1986||Driver Babu||Narayana Rao|
|1988||Kanoon Ki Hathkadee|
|1991||Pelli Pustakam||Sridhar Rao||Nandi Award for Best Feature Film|
|1993||Muta Mesthri||Chief Minister|
|Rajendrudu Gajendrudu||Elephant's Master|
|Srinatha Kavi Sarvabhowmudu|
|1994||Govinda Govinda||Doorvasa Maharshi|
|Aayanaki Iddaru||Krishna Mohan's father|
|2008||Jagadguru Sri Kasinayana Charitra||Kasinayana|
- Ramachandran, T.M. (1973). Film world. 9.
- The Times of India directory and year book including who's who. Times of India Press. 1984.
- "Profile of Gummadi - Telugu film actor".
- "28th National Film Awards (PDF)" (PDF). Directorate of Film Festivals. Retrieved 4 October 2011.
- "33rd National Film Awards (PDF)" (PDF). Directorate of Film Festivals. Retrieved 7 January 2012.
- "39th National Film Awards (PDF)" (PDF). Directorate of Film Festivals. Retrieved 27 February 2012.
- "Actor Gummadi passes away". The Hindu.
- "Gummadi never forgot his mentor". The New Indian Express.
- "Gummadi Awards".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 31 January 2010. Retrieved 28 January 2010.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Gummadi Venkateswara Rao died Breaking News Views. Retrieved on 26 January 2010.
- on YouTube
- "List Of Telugu Actors Who Received Civilan Awards From The Government Of India - Wirally". Retrieved 18 September 2021.
- "నంది అవార్డు విజేతల పరంపర (1964–2008)" [A series of Nandi Award Winners (1964–2008)] (PDF). Information & Public Relations of Andhra Pradesh. Retrieved 21 August 2020.(in Telugu)
- "The Times of India Directory and Year Book Including Who's who". 1979.
- "Chuttarikalu on IMdb".
- "Savasagallu (1977)". IMDb. Retrieved 19 July 2021.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gummadi Venkateswara Rao.|