Gregory Allan Lazzarato
April 20, 1992
|Other names||Gigi Lazzarato|
|Education||Iona Catholic Secondary School|
|Alma mater||George Brown College (dropped out)|
|Agent||Select Management Group (LA)|
Nats Getty (m. 2019)
|Total views||492.5 million|
|Updated 20 December 2019|
In 2008, Lazzarato began uploading video blogs onto streaming platform YouTube. Her videos achieved popularity and established an online following for her. During the following years, she uploaded regularly to her channel along with creating and starring in the reality program The Avenue (2011–13). Following a brief hiatus, Lazzarato gained media attention after coming out as a transgender woman in 2013. During 2014, Lazzarato documented her transition through her social media profiles, notably through her videos revolving around her cosmetic procedures, which obtained viral status. In 2016, an incident involving Lazzarato being deported from Dubai, due to her status as a transgender woman, resulted in widespread media coverage. Lazzarato was the subject of This is Everything: Gigi Gorgeous (2017), a Barbara Kopple-directed documentary that followed her life during her transition. The film premiered at the Sundance Film Festival and went on to have a limited theatrical release and several accolades including a Streamy.
Besides her personality work, Lazzarato has dabbled in acting and modeling work. Her performance credits include starring in fellow YouTuber Shane Dawson's short film I Hate Myselfie (2015) and its sequel, along with guest appearances in television series Project Runway All Stars, Me and My Grandma, Good Work, and Trailblazers, amongst others. Through modeling, she has appeared on the covers of Paper and FASHION, been featured in spreads for Galore, Kode, Refinery29, and Out and served as a frequent muse of August Getty Atelier. In 2019 she authored the book He Said, She Said: Lessons, Stories, and Mistakes From My Transgender Journey.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Career
- 3 Personal life
- 4 Filmography
- 5 Awards
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Lazzarato is the child of David, a business executive, and Judith Lazzarato (née Belding). Her family consists of Italian, Lebanese, English and French heritage and she was raised in the Roman Catholic faith.
As a young adult, Lazzarato was a nationally ranked diving champion. She attended St. Francis of Assisi School and later Mississauga's Iona Catholic Secondary School and attended George Brown College. At George Brown, she studied fashion, but eventually left the college to focus on her YouTube career. Her mother, Judith, died of leukemia on February 3, 2012, at Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto.
2008–13: Beginnings on YouTubeEdit
Prior to her transition, Lazzarato was known as Gregory or Greg, and operated a makeup tutorial YouTube channel that was started in 2008. She began her makeup channel while an eleventh grader, when a friend mentioned seeing a makeup video by Michelle Phan on YouTube. At the age of 16 she came out, identifying as a gay male. Since her transition, her YouTube channel started to include more vlogs, fashion, and lifestyle videos.
2011–13: The AvenueEdit
On January 18, 2011, Lazzarato announced The Avenue, a YouTube-based reality series that she stated she was going to star in. The show premiered on March 15 of that year on YouTube with distribution by Blip. On April 14, 2013 the show's last episode aired.
2014–16: Gender transition and appearancesEdit
Lazzarato was awarded the LogoTV Trailblazing Social Creator Award in 2014 for her advocacy on behalf of LGBT youth. She frequently attends BeautyCon conventions to meet with fans and sit in on panels about makeup techniques and the cosmetics industry. She modeled for designer Marco Marco, and walked in the 2014 and 2015 Marco Marco Fashion Shows.
Lazzarato has used her internet celebrity status to bring awareness to transgender issues, the LGBT community, and anti-bullying. Her image was featured in a montage of transgender celebrities in the ABC 20/20 documentary about Caitlyn Jenner's transition.
In October 2014, Lazzarato began dating Cory Binney. They met at a club and started dating from then on. They were on and off and broke up in around May or June 2015 which inspired one of Lazzarato’s most viewed videos titled “Single Life (My Break Up”) which is a music video to “What the Hell” by Avril Lavigne. It is now one of her top 5 most viewed videos of all time with 7.5 million views. Lazzarato and Binney got back together a month later before officially splitting in November 2015.
In early 2015, Lazzarato starred in fellow YouTuber Shane Dawson's debut short film I Hate Myselfie as Amber. She said she looked to Rachel McAdams' portrayal of Regina George in Mean Girls (2004), while playing Amber. She has since reprised her role as Amber in I Hate Myselfie 2.
In June 2015, it was announced that Lazzarato had teamed up with singer Miley Cyrus and had joined Cyrus' Happy Hippie Foundation's Marie Claire "#InstaPride" campaign. The campaign included a series of photos and an announcement by Cyrus that she and Lazzarato were working on a secret project. The project later turned out to be a spread in American magazine Marie Claire featuring them both. Lazzarato signed a partnership with 'Too Faced Cosmetics' in which she starred in the cosmetic commercial film "Better Than Sex" which premiered on July 9, 2015. At the 2015 MTV Video Music Awards Lazzarato, along with a group of drag queens, introduced Miley Cyrus for her debut performance of Dooo It! from Cyrus's new album Miley Cyrus and her Dead Petz.
In September 2015, Lazzarato had a two-page spread in People magazine. She appeared on Entertainment Tonight as a special guest that same month. Lazzarato was featured in Kylie Jenner's app "Kylie" where she filmed several make up tip videos. On September 18, she won the Streamy Award for "Best Beauty Series". It was announced on October 7 that Lazzarato would star in Adam Lambert's video for his song "Another Lonely Night".
2016: Dubai incidentEdit
On August 9, 2016, Lazzarato was detained in the United Arab Emirates and had her passport taken by airport officials and immigration officers at the Dubai International Airport. She was denied entry in to Dubai for being a transgender woman, as the government does not recognize her gender as legitimate even though, according to Lazzarato, the gender on her passport states female and not male. The "imitation of women by men" is illegal in the UAE, and violators can face up to a year in jail. Lazzarato was released after spending over five hours being detained.
The "#JusticeForGigi" hashtag surfaced on Twitter, with fans and supporters calling for Lazzarato's release and a reform in anti-LGBTQ laws. It was not the first time a transgender person was detained in Dubai. In 2014, two Brazilian transgender women were also detained and had their passports taken. Lazzarato, before leaving Dubai for Sweden, responded to the incident by calling for equality and legal protections for LGBTQ people.
2017–Present: Continued success, This is EverythingEdit
In January 2017, the documentary This Is Everything: Gigi Gorgeous, starring Lazzarato, directed by Barbara Kopple premiered at the Sundance Film Festival. On June 11, Gorgeous watched the documentary with Katy Perry on Perry's four-day livestream event, Katy Perry Live: Witness World Wide.
In 2019 Lazzarato published her memoir, titled He Said, She Said: Lessons, Stories, and Mistakes From My Transgender Journey. In October 2019 Lazzarato announced that she has a makeup collection coming out with Ipsy in November 2019. The collection has various beauty products related to makeup.
In October 2014 Lazzarato began dating Cory Binney, the half-brother of drag queen Alaska Thunderfuck. They met at a club and started dating from then on. They were on and off and broke up in around May or June 2015 which inspired one of Lazzarato’s most viewed videos titled “Single Life (My Break Up”) which is a music video to “What the Hell” by Avril Lavigne. It is now one of her top 5 most viewed videos of all time with 7.5 million views.They got back together in July 2015 before officially breaking up in November 2015.   Lazzarato, who had previously identified as bisexual, came out as lesbian in a YouTube video on September 14, 2016. Lazzarato began dating Nats Getty, an heiress and member of the Getty family, shortly after meeting her at Paris Fashion Week while working as a model for Getty's brother, August Getty. In March 2018 Getty proposed to Lazzarato at the Château de Vaux-le-Vicomte in France. On July 12, 2019 Lazzarato and Getty married in a private ceremony at Rosewood Miramar Beach in Montecito, California.
Lazzarato announced that she was a transgender woman in December 2013. Since then she has undergone electrolysis, tracheal shave, hormone replacement therapy, facial feminization surgery, rhinoplasty, and breast augmentation. She legally had her name changed to Giselle Loren Lazzarato on March 8, 2014.
|Indicates a film or show appearance that has not yet been released.|
|I Hate Myselfie||Amber||Short film|||
|Better Than Sex||Gigi||Short film|||
|I Hate Myselfie 2||Amber||Short film|||
|2017||This is Everything: Gigi Gorgeous||Herself||Documentary|||
|2009||The Campus||7 episodes|
|2010||MTV'S The After Show|||
|The Avenue||21 episodes|
|Celebrity Style Story||5 episodes|
|2013||The Listener||Episode: "The Blue Line"|||
|Project Runway All Stars||Episode: "#Nina'sTrending"|||
|PopSugar TV||Episode: "Talks Beauty Tips and Fashion At BeautyCon LA"|
|2015||About Bruce||TV Special|
|Access Hollywood||3 episodes|
|MTV Video Music Award||Award ceremony|
|VH1's Streamy Awards||Award ceremony|
|FOX News||1 episode|||
|The Marco Marco Show||3 episodes|
|Beauty TV||Episode: "Glowing with Gigi Gorgeous|
|Bro'Laska||Episode: "Cory's Tips for Getting Swole"|
|What's Trending||Episode: "Gigi Gorgeous Talks Trans Rights and LGBT Equality"|||
|Help, My Face Is Fucked!||2 episodes|
|PerezHiltonTV||Episode: "Behind The Scenes of Gigi Gorgeous' Photoshoot"|
|GLSEN Respect Awards||Award ceremony|
|2016||Gigi Gorgeous's Love Letter|
|Nightcap||Episode: "The Horny Host" as Herself|||
|American Music Awards||Award ceremony|
|2017||Me and My Grandma||Episode: "Elderboo"|
|2015||"Another Lonely Night"||Adam Lambert||Lead|
|2014||Trailblazing Social Creator||Logo TV Awards||Won|
|2015||Best Beauty Series||The Streamy Awards|
|2017||Youtuber of the Year||Shorty Awards|
(alongside Dwayne Johnson, Lilly Singh, Mark Edward Fischbach, Grace Helbig, Roman Atwood, Alex Wassabi, Lauren Riihimaki, Andrew Bachelor, Flula Borg, and Brittney Smith)
- Gigi Gorgeous (April 30, 2013). "✎ DRAW MY LIFE: GIGI GORGEOUS ✎" – via YouTube.
- Gigi Gorgeous (January 7, 2020). "Answering The Web's Most Searched Questions - Gigi" – via YouTube.
- "The Ontario Gazette" (PDF). 147-10. Ministry of Government Services. Queen's Printer for Ontario. March 8, 2014. p. 572. ISSN 0030-2937. Retrieved March 29, 2017.
- "Gender Reassignment Surgery: Gigi Gorgeous Shares Her Story "I Want To Be Female" -Video – MTF Breast Augmentation forum". Realself.com. March 9, 2015. Retrieved May 20, 2015.
- Klee, Miles (May 6, 2015). "How WCW Gigi Gorgeous has changed the trans community for the better". Dailydot.com. Retrieved May 20, 2015.
- Executive Profile: David A. Lazzarato. Independent Director, The Stars Group Inc. Bloomberg.com. Retrieved June 27, 2019.
- "Is Gigi Gorgeous America's Next Top Model?". The New York Times. April 14, 2016.
- Kristin Tice Studeman. "Trans YouTuber Gigi Gorgeous: Friends Learned About My Transition Through My Videos". Cosmopolitan.
- "2007 All Star Diving Challenge Orlando Florida".
- "CAMO Diving Invitational Underway In Montreal – Swimming World News". December 5, 2003.
- "Bustle". bustle.com.
- "Judy Lazzarato: obituary and death notice on InMemoriam". Inmemoriam.ca. February 3, 2012. Retrieved May 20, 2015.
- Hoyer, Melissa (September 16, 2017). "Gigi Gorgeous on the future of vlogging and why she was embarrassed of her first videos". Vogue.
- Adam Auriemma. "'The Avenue' Star Gregory Gorgeous: Trapped in the YouTube Closet?". The Daily Beast. Retrieved May 20, 2015.
- Simmons, Shea (June 10, 2018). "Trans Youtube Star GiGi Gorgeous Talks Transitioning, Coming Out, And The Future Of Her Beauty Vlog". Bustle.
- "10 Gorgeous Women (Who Were Born Male)". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved May 20, 2015.
- "Gigi Gorgeous". YouTube. Retrieved May 20, 2015.
- "At First Blush : BeautyCon Puts on a Colorful Show With Bethany Mota, Gigi Gorgeous and Other YouTubers". The New York Times. Retrieved May 20, 2015.
- Adam Asea (October 31, 2014). "Watch Now: The Marco Marco Show – That's A Wrap". World of Wonder. Retrieved May 20, 2015.
- "Gigi Gorgeous- I can't wait to watch Bruce's docuseries! | Celebrity Videos". TMZ.com. August 26, 2014. Retrieved May 20, 2015.
- "Famous Trangendered YouTuber Gigi Gorgeous Reacts to Bruce Jenner Interview | RTM". RightThisMinute. Retrieved May 20, 2015.
- Russell, Stacey (April 29, 2015). "YouTube Star Gigi Gorgeous on Beauty, Boys, and Bruce Jenner". Miami New Times. Retrieved May 20, 2015.
- "Gigi Gorgeous on Access Hollywood, More | SELECT". Select.co. May 3, 2015. Archived from the original on May 21, 2015. Retrieved May 20, 2015.
- "I HATE MYSELFIE 2" - SHORT FILM, retrieved September 18, 2019
- July Favorites 2015 + Marie Claire Magazine! - Gigi. YouTube. July 30, 2015.
- "Instagram". Instagram.
- Samantha Leal. "Gigi Gorgeous Marie Claire September 2015 Cover". Marie Claire.
- "Instagram". Instagram.
- "Gigi Gorgeous Talks Miley Cyrus, Kylie Jenner and Collab-ing With Britney Spears!". Entertainment Tonight. September 11, 2015.
- "Gigi Gorgeous to the Rescue: Under-Eye Concealer". Kylie. September 11, 2015. Archived from the original on February 3, 2016. Retrieved September 16, 2015.
- Gigi Gorgeous Wins Best Beauty Series – The Streamy Awards – VH1. YouTube. September 17, 2015.
- Lambert, Adam (October 6, 2015). Adam Lambert – Another Lonely Night [Music Video Teaser]. Adam Lambert's official YouTube channel. YouTube. Retrieved October 30, 2015.
- Nissim, Mayer (October 7, 2015). "See trans YouTube superstar Gigi Gorgeous in the teaser for Adam Lambert's new video". Digital Spy. Retrieved October 30, 2015.
- Sieczkowski, Cavan (August 10, 2016). "YouTube Star Was Allegedly Detained In Dubai Airport Because She's Trans". HuffPost. Retrieved September 18, 2019.
- "Dubai Airport Officials Detained Gigi Gorgeous Because She's Trans". August 10, 2016.
- "Gigi Gorgeous Was Held In A Dubai Airport For Being Transgender".
- "Model Gigi Gorgeous Detained at Dubai Airport for Being Transgender: 'One of the Scariest Moments of My Life'".
- "#JusticeForGigi hashtag on Twitter".
- Director, Cavan Sieczkowski Deputy; News; Analytics (August 10, 2016). "YouTube Star Was Allegedly Detained In Dubai Airport Because She's Trans".
- "Gigi Gorgeous Detained in Dubai for Being Transgender".
- Harvey, Dennis (January 31, 2017). "Sundance Film Review: 'This Is Everything: Gigi Gorgeous'". Variety. Retrieved April 1, 2017.
- "The 25 Most Influential People on the Internet". Time Magazine. June 26, 2017. Retrieved June 27, 2017.
- Gorgeous, Gigi (2019), "Relationships Are Great Until They Suck", He Said, She Said: Lessons, Stories, and Mistakes From My Transgender Journey, United States: Harmony Books, pp. 194–199, ISBN 978-0-525-57342-5
- Gigi Gorgeous (July 15, 2015). "SNAPCHAT Q&A: Dating, My Bisexuality & MORE! - Gigi" – via YouTube.
- Gigi Gorgeous (September 14, 2016). "I'm a Lesbian – Gigi" – via YouTube.
- "Who Is Nats Getty: The Billionaire Oil Heiress Dating Gigi Gorgeous". September 19, 2016. Archived from the original on June 23, 2018. Retrieved February 13, 2017.
- Steigman, Kelsey (March 14, 2018). "Gigi Gorgeous Got Engaged to Billionaire Girlfriend Nats Getty and the Ring is MASSIVE." Seventeen (Seventeen.com). Retrieved June 27, 2019.
- "Gigi Gorgeous Marries Nats Getty in Extravagant Beachfront Wedding – See Her Beautiful Dress!". PEOPLE.com.
- Gigi Gorgeous (August 15, 2014). "Q&A: Life, Death & SEX! (with TRISHA PAYTAS) – Gigi" – via YouTube.
- "From Gregory to Gigi, but Always Gorgeous | The Odyssey". Theodysseyonline.com. Retrieved May 20, 2015.
- "Transgender YouTube Star Gigi Gorgeous: How My Mom's Death Inspired Me to Transition". People Magazine. Retrieved April 14, 2016.
- Gigi Gorgeous on IMDb
- BETTER THAN SEX – Gigi. YouTube. July 7, 2015.
- "Instagram". Instagram.
- Gregory Gorgeous on MTV's The After Show. YouTube. January 20, 2010.
- Gigi Gorgeous Off Youtube And On My TV 062515. YouTube. July 1, 2015.
- "Instagram post by GIGI GORGEOUS 👸🏼 • Oct 15, 2015 at 12:50am UTC". Instagram.
- Gigi Gorgeous Talks Trans Rights and LGBT Equality – VidCon 2015. YouTube. August 2, 2015.
- The Horny Host, retrieved June 21, 2019
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gigi Gorgeous.|