Paper is a New York City-based independent magazine focusing on fashion, popular culture, nightlife, music, art and film.
November 2014 "Break the Internet" cover featuring Kim Kardashian
|Categories||Fashion, music, pop culture, art|
|Frequency||4 per year|
|Founder||Kim Hastreiter and David Hershkovits|
|Based in||New York City|
Paper was founded in 1984 by Kim Hastreiter and David Hershkovits, former editors at the SoHo Weekly News, with help from Lucy Sisman and Richard Weigand. Beginning as a monthly print magazine in the form of a black and white 16-page fold-out, it has since transformed into a quarterly print and digital magazine.
"Break The Internet"Edit
In November 2014, Kim Kardashian was the cover star of the “Break the Internet” issue. Kardashian was interviewed by Paper contributor Amanda Fortini for the spread "No Filter: An Afternoon with Kim Kardashian". The photos for the issue were taken by Jean–Paul Goude. The shoot was a re-creation of Goude's "Champagne Incident", a series of photographs from his 1982 book Jungle Fever. The cover photo, as well as the rest, feature a fully nude Kardashian.
Since the story was published, it has gotten 34,147,700 unique page-views, which is more than double the number of page-views Paper normally receives annually.
Hastreiter and Hershkovits co-authored two books under the company's label. The first of the pair, published by Paper Publishing Company in association with Distributed Art Publishers in 1999, was titled From AbFab to Zen: Paper's Guide to Pop Culture and had photography from John Waters. The second, titled 20 Years of Style: The World According to Paper was published by Harper Collins in 2007, and featured writing from Michael Musto, John Waters, Isaac Mizrahi, Pedro Almodovar, Todd Oldham, Patrick McMullan, and Anna Sui.
- Gaffney, Adrienne (January 18, 2014). "'J.Lo of India' Draws a Crowd Downtown". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- Aschenbrand, Periel (5 May 2017). "The Chosen Ones: An Interview With PAPER Magazine Founder David Hershkovits". Tablet Magazine.
- Chantal Fernandez (8 November 2017). "Paper Magazine". BusinessOfFashion.com.
- Spedding, Emma (18 April 2016). "The man behind Kim Kardashian's Paper Magazine cover on how to break the internet". The Telegraph.
- "Tom Floriois One of the 500 People Shaping the Global Fashion Industry in 2014". The Business of Fashion. Retrieved 2019-04-22.
- "Drew Elliottis One of the 500 People Shaping the Global Fashion Industry in 2018". The Business of Fashion. Retrieved 2019-04-22.
- "Paper Magazine Acquired by Tom Florio's New Media Group". The Business of Fashion. 2017-11-08. Retrieved 2019-04-22.
- "No Filter: An Afternoon With Kim Kardashian". Paper. Retrieved September 25, 2015.
- "These Are the Original Jean-Paul Goude Images That Inspired Kim Kardashian's Paper Magazine Cover". Complex. Retrieved September 25, 2015.
- "The 10 Most Popular Stories of the Year on Papermag.com". Paper. Retrieved September 25, 2015.
- Hastreiter, Kim; Hershkovits, David (1999). From AbFab to Zen: Paper's Guide to Pop Culture. New York: Paper Publishing. ISBN 1891024043.