For the Future of Montenegro
For the Future of Montenegro (Serbian and Montenegrin: За будућност Црне Горе / Za budućnost Crne Gore) was a catch-all, mainly cultural conservative and populist pre-election opposition political coalition in Montenegro, formed for the August 2020 parliamentary election. The coalition common list for 2020 election is led by a Montenegrin university professor, Zdravko Krivokapić.
|Founded||2 August 2020|
|Dissolved||Prior October 2020|
Serb ethnic interests
|Political position||Big tent (with centre-right to right-wing majority)|
|Slogan||"The future will show that|
we were right"
27 / 81
Coalition constituent members for 2020 parliamentary election are; two alliances Democratic Front (New Serb Democracy, Movement for Changes, Democratic People's Party and True Montenegro), Popular Movement (United Montenegro, Workers' Party, independent group in the parliament, also some minor right-wing parties, such as DSJ and DSS) and Socialist People's Party, which is not part of any of alliances, but maintains close cooperation with the newly-formed Popular Movement. The coalition is also supported by a number of minor non-parliamentary organizations such as far-right Serb Radical Party of Montenegro, as well as far-left Yugoslav Communist Party, also of some Serb national and cultural NGOs in Montenegro, such as Serb National Council of Montenegro.
2020 election campaignEdit
The coalition was formed in August 2020, and was initially composed of two alliances Democratic Front, Popular Movement and Socialist People's Party, which is not part of any alliances. The main goal of the coalition is to overthrow the ruling Democratic Party of Socialists (DPS) of President Milo Đukanović, which has been in power since its founding in 1991. All coalition member parties employed a more significant cultural and socially conservative discourse, due to 2020 Montenegrin political crisis and the open conflict between the Serbian Orthodox Church and the DPS-led Montenegrin government, following the adoption of the disputed law on the status of religious communities in Montenegro, supporting 2019-2020 clerical protests in Montenegro and Serbian Orthodox Church rights in Montenegro. Many media, analysts, but also political opponents have labeled the new coalition as the "Vučić's list", because major parties in the new coalition have very close cooperation with the populist SNS-led regime in Serbia, the largest number of constituents of the new coalition were present at several meetings in Belgrade during 2019 and 2020, organized by Serbian President (also the SNS chairman) Aleksandar Vučić, gathering "leaders of Serb communities" in Serbia's neighboring countries.
New parliamentary majorityEdit
30 August 2020 election resulted in a victory for the opposition parties and the fall from power of the ruling DPS, which has ruled the country since the introduction of the multi-party system in 1990. Shortly after the polls were closed, before the final results were published, coalition leader Krivokapić announced the coalition's victory stating that "freedom has happened in Montenegro". In his speech he also stated that there won't be revanchism and he also offered ethnic minority parties to enter the new government. The coalition won 32.55 % of the popular vote which equals 27 seats in the parliament. Krivokapić and the leaders of the coalitions Peace is Our Nation and Black on White, Aleksa Bečić and Dritan Abazović, agreed during meeting on several principles on which the future government will rest, including the formation of an expert government, to continue to work on the European Union accession process, fight against corruption, overcoming society polarization, and to work on changing the disputed Law on Religious Communities. They also welcomed minority parties of Bosniaks and Albanians of Montenegro, and wished to form government with them. The coalition also won additional 13 seats in the municipal elections held in Andrijevica, Budva, Gusinje, Kotor and Tivat.
|Election||Popular votes||% of popular votes||Overall seats won||Seat change||Government||Ballot carrier|
27 / 81
- Krivokapić: Evropski put je prioritet, za tri sedmice dogovor opozicije, Vijesti, 1 September 2020
- "Dogovorili se DF, SNP, Narodni pokret, Prava Crna Gora i ostali: Krivokapić nosilac liste". www.vijesti.me.
- Litije dobile politički profil: Zdravko Krivokapić na čelu koalicije DF-a, SNP-a, Prave Crne Gore i Narodnog pokreta!, borba.me, 1 August 2020
- DF, SNP, Narodni pokret i Prava zajedno na izborima, Vijesti, 31 July 2020
- Milovi, Vučićevi, Amfilohijevi; razvrstavanje, Monitor
- Od "Vučićeve liste" ostao samo DF, RTCG/Pobjeda
- Beograd gura SNP u zagrljalj Frontu, CdM, 29 July 2020
- Nedeljnik.rs (2020-08-30). "Zdravko Krivokapić, nosilac najjače opozicione liste: U Crnoj Gori se desila sloboda. Pružamo svima ruku pomirenja, nudimo nacionalnim strankama da priđu pobedniku". Nedeljnik. Retrieved 2020-08-30.
- "Krivokapić: Desila se sloboda, pružamo ruku pomirenja". Politika Online. Retrieved 2020-08-31.
- "Rezultati DIK-a na 100 odsto prebrojanih glasova: DPS 35.06, "Za budućnost Crne Gore" 32.55 odsto glasova". vijesti.me (in Serbian). Retrieved 2020-08-31.
- "Montenegrin opposition agrees on expert government, revision of disputed laws". N1. 2020-08-31.