Florida's 23rd congressional district
|Florida's 23rd congressional district|
Florida's 23rd congressional district - since January 3, 2017
|Area||259 sq mi (670 km2)|
In 2016, it covers parts of Broward and Miami-Dade, including Miami Beach. From 2003 to 2012, the former 23rd district consisted of a major part of Broward County and parts of Palm Beach county. The district included Pompano Beach, Boynton Beach and Belle Glade.
Florida's 23rd Congressional District was created after the 1990 U.S. Census. Democrat Alcee Hastings was elected in the first election for the district in 1992 until being redistricted to the 20th Congressional District in 2013.
List of representativesEdit
|District created||January 3, 1993|
|Alcee Hastings||Democratic||January 3, 1993 – January 3, 2013||103rd
|Redistricted to the 20th district|
|Debbie Wasserman Schultz||Democratic||January 3, 2013 – present||113th
|Redistricted from the 20th district|
|Election results from presidential races|
|2016||President||Hillary Clinton 62 - Donald Trump 36%|
|2012||President||Barack Obama 62 - Mitt Romney 38%|
|2008||President||Barack Obama 83 - John McCain 17%|
|2004||President||John Kerry 76 - George W. Bush 24%|
|Democratic||Keith A. Clayborne||17,106||25.77|
|Republican||Marion D. Thorpe, Jr.||37,431||17.80|
|No party||April Cook||40||0.02%|
|Democratic||Debbie Wasserman Schultz||174,205||63.25|
|No party||Ilya Katz||3,129||1.13%|
|Democratic||Debbie Wasserman Schultz*||103,269||62.67|
|Republican||Joseph "Joe" Kaufman||61,519||37.33|
|Democratic||Debbie Wasserman Schultz*||183,225||56.70|
|Republican||Joseph "Joe" Kaufman||130,818||40.49|
|No party||Don Endriss||5,180||1.60%|
|No party||Lyle Milstein||3,897||1.21%|
Living former representativesEdit
As of January 2017[update], there is one former member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Florida's 23rd congressional district who is currently living at this time.
|Representative||Term in office||Date of birth (and age)|
|Alcee Hastings||1993–2013||September 5, 1936|
Historical district boundariesEdit
- "Congressional Plan--SC14-1905 (Ordered by The Florida Supreme Court, 2-December-2015)" (PDF). Florida Senate Committee on Reapportionment. Retrieved 11 January 2017.
- "Partisan Voting Index – Districts of the 115th Congress" (PDF). The Cook Political Report. April 7, 2017. Retrieved April 7, 2017.
- See whole Florida state map for 2013, with the 23rd district: h9047_35x42L.pdf Congressional Plan: H000C9047. Chapter No. 2012-2, Laws of Florida. www.flsenate.gov. February 16, 2012.
- See the 2013 boundaries of the 23rd district covering southeast Florida in the 2013 districts map: H000C9047_map_se.pdf, for the southeast region of Florida, along the Atlantic Ocean. Congressional Plan: H000C9047. Chapter No. 2012-2, Laws of Florida. www.flsenate.gov. February 2012.
- "August 30, 2016 Primary Election Democratic Primary - Official Results". Florida Department of State Division of Elections. Retrieved 31 July 2017.
- "Debbie Wasserman Schultz Tops Tim Canova in District 23 Race". NBC Miami. Retrieved 31 July 2017.