This article does not cite any sources. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Ab urbe condita||2225|
|Balinese saka calendar||1393–1394|
|English Regnal year||11 Edw. 4 – 12 Edw. 4|
|Chinese calendar||辛卯年 (Metal Rabbit)|
4168 or 4108
— to —
壬辰年 (Water Dragon)
4169 or 4109
|- Vikram Samvat||1528–1529|
|- Shaka Samvat||1393–1394|
|- Kali Yuga||4572–4573|
|Japanese calendar||Bunmei 4|
|Minguo calendar||440 before ROC|
|Thai solar calendar||2014–2015|
1598 or 1217 or 445
— to —
1599 or 1218 or 446
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1472.|
- February 20 – Orkney and Shetland are returned by Norway to Scotland, due to a defaulted dowry payment.
- December 31 – The city council of Amsterdam prohibits snowball fights: "Neymant en moet met sneecluyten werpen nocht maecht noch wijf noch manspersoon." ("No one shall throw with snowballs, neither men nor (unmarried) women.")
- The Kingdom of Fez is founded.
- Possible discovery of Bacalao (possibly Newfoundland, North America) by João Vaz Corte-Real.
- An extensive slave trade begins in modern Cameroon, as the Portuguese sail up the Wouri River.
- Fernão do Po claims the central-African islands Bioko and Annobón, for Portugal.
- Banca Monte Dei Paschi Di Siena, the world's oldest surviving bank, is founded.
- Leonardo da Vinci is listed as a master, in Florence's Company of Artists.
- Johannes de Sacrobosco's De sphaera mundi (written c. 1230) is first published in Ferrara, the first printed astronomical book.
- Pietro d'Abano's Conciliator differentiarum quae inter philosophos et medicos versantur and De venenis eorumque remediis are published.
- January 17 – Guidobaldo da Montefeltro, Italian condottiero and Duke of Urbino (d. 1508)
- February 15 – Piero di Lorenzo de' Medici, ruler of Florence (d. 1503)
- March 28 – Fra Bartolomeo, Italian artist (d. 1517)
- April 5 – Bianca Maria Sforza, Holy Roman Empress, married to Maximilian I, Holy Roman Emperor (d. 1510)
- April 10 – Margaret of York, English princess (d. 1472)
- May 31 – Érard de La Marck, prince-bishop of Liège (d. 1538)
- August 11 – Nikolaus von Schönberg, German Catholic cardinal (d. 1537)
- October 19 – John Louis, Count of Nassau-Saarbrücken (d. 1545)
- October 31 – Wang Yangming, Chinese Neo-Confucian scholar (d. 1529)
- November 24 – Pietro Torrigiano, Italian sculptor of the Florentine school (d. 1528)
- December 10 – Anne de Mowbray, 8th Countess of Norfolk (d. 1481)
- date unknown
- March 30 – Amadeus IX, Duke of Savoy (b. 1435)
- April 25 – Leon Battista Alberti, Italian painter, poet, and philosopher (b. 1404)
- May 24 – Charles de Valois, Duke de Berry, French noble (b. 1446)
- May 30 – Jacquetta of Luxembourg, English duchess, daughter of Pierre de Luxembourg (b. 1416)
- June 4 – Nezahualcoyotl, Aztec poet (b. 1402)
- July 15 – Johann II of Nassau-Saarbrücken, Count of Nassau-Saarbrücken (1429–1472) (b. 1423)
- July 25 – Charles of Artois, Count of Eu, French military leader (b. 1394)
- November 18 – Basilios Bessarion, Latin Patriarch of Constantinople (b. 1403)
- December 11 – Margaret of York, English princess (b. 1472)
- date unknown – Afanasy Nikitin, Russian traveller