Vivegam (English: Prudence) is a 2017 Indian Tamil-language action spy film written and directed by Siva. The movie features Ajith Kumar as primary lead, with Vivek Oberoi, Kajal Aggarwal and Akshara Haasan playing the supporting roles. The film's background score and soundtrack were composed by Anirudh Ravichander, whose soundtrack album released on 7 August 2017. Cinematography was performed by Vetri and editing by Anthony L. Ruben.
Promotional film poster
|Produced by||T. G. Thyagarajan|
|Music by||Anirudh Ravichander|
Sathya Jyothi Films
|Distributed by||Sathya Jyothi Films|
|Box office||₹167 crore|
The film opens with an arms exchange deal between the General Secretary of Europol police and the head of the Russian mafia gang in a dense Serbian forest, secured with multiple layers of military personnel. AK, a former counter-terrorist agent, successfully intercepts the deal and secures the weapons drive. Meanwhile, the international counter-terrorist group is on the lookout for him. Aryan, a chief strategist, and his team volunteer to find AK.
AK lives happily with his wife Yazhini, who owns and manages an Indian restaurant. Their life is interrupted by a mission to trace a hacker, Natasha from Bulgaria, who is responsible for cracking the security codes of the plutonium weapons. There have already been three man-made seismic activities caused by the explosion of plutonium bombs. She is wanted by the Interpol, CIA, and terrorist groups around the world for her hacking skills. AK's mission is to secure Natasha, thereby preventing the two future seismic quakes targeted in India.
AK goes back to Serbia in search of Natasha, where he is guided by APS (Arumai Prakasm), a local translator. He interrogates the hospital doctors in the city and finds that Natasha has undergone plastic facial alteration surgery. Meanwhile, an Albanian gang has hijacked Natasha's boyfriend and tortured him to death. With the help of the pacemaker found in her boyfriend's body, AK traces Natasha and moves her to a safe house.
Natasha is unaware the code she decrypted was that of a nuclear weapon. She feels guilty and proposes to diffuse the remaining weapons from a neutrino site. On their way to the site, Natasha is killed by a group of terrorists. Aryan and his team ambush AK and open fire at him. AK survives the ambush and kills two of his ex-teammates. Aryan hires an assassin to kill Yazhini. AK neutralizes the assassins and saves his wife. Later, AK comes to know that Aryan and his teammates belong to the shadow government which controls the economy of the world by war manipulation. Aryan, as a counter-terrorist officer and shadow government agent, forces AK and his pregnant wife into hiding by blaming AK as the most wanted terrorist. AK releases a video challenging Aryan and his group to save Aryan from being assassinated. AK tries to stop the nuclear weapon from blasting by turning off all the satellites by powerhub. To stop AK from continuing his job, Aryan kidnaps AK's wife and keeps her in a secret place. He asks AK whether he will save his wife or stop the bomb. AK beats up Aryan and prevents the plutonium weapon from blasting.
The movie ends with AK, Yazhini, and their child going for a long drive, when suddenly, a mission comes for AK.
- Ajith Kumar as Ajay Kumar, "AK"
- Vivek Oberoi as Aryan Singha
- Kajal Aggarwal as Yazhini Ajay Kumar
- Akshara Haasan as Natasha
- Aarav Chowdhary as Shawn
- Karunakaran as Arumai Prakasam, "APS"
- Amila Terzimehic as Rachael
- Serge Crozon-Cazin as Michael
- Bharath Reddy as Bharath
- Sharat Saxena
- Milan in a special appearance
Anirudh Ravichander was the music composer for the movie. Vetri signed to handle filming, and Ruben edited. Anu Vardhan, who had worked with Ajith in Billa (2007), Aegan (2008), Arrambam (2013) and Vedalam (2015), designed his costumes in this movie. Kaloyan Vodenicharov and K. Ganesh Kumar were the stunt directors.
The title of the film, Vivegam, was announced in February 2017. The official first look poster released along with the title on 2 February. The director revealed that Vivek Obreoi was not playing an antagonist in the movie.
Principal photography commenced in Slovenia on 1 August 2016, and it was reported that at least 70% percent of this action thriller was to be shot in Europe. The first schedule was successfully completed in Europe and the second schedule in Ramoji Film City in Hyderabad in October. The team informed that nearly 75 percent of the film shot was complete and the rest of the production was ongoing in Chennai. It was reported that the movie was filmed on a restricted military base in Eastern Europe. The team completed their final shoot schedule in Serbia on such locations like Belgrade city centre, Belgrade Museum of Aviation and Bor lake. Principal photography wrapped in July 2017.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||7 August 2017|
|Studio||Albuquerque Records, Chennai|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Anirudh Ravichander chronology|
|Singles from Vivegam|
The film score and soundtrack were composed by Anirudh Ravichander, becoming his second collaboration with Ajith Kumar and Siva. The soundtrack consists of seven tracks, including one theme music track. The music rights were secured by Sony Music. Prior to the official soundtrack launch, three singles were released through Saavn.
The first single, "Surviva", was released on 19 June 2017; it is a western-based EDM number. The second single, "Thalai Viduthalai", released on 10 July 2017; it is in the "death metal rock" genre. The song is sung by Ajith and is about success and failure. It was quoted by Anirudh himself on Twitter to be a "dedication to Ajithkumar’s 25 years of grit, determination and hard work in his cinematic career". The third single, "Kadhaalada", was released on 20 July 2017. It was a classical number. The full album was released on 7 August 2017.
- Tamil - Vivegam (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
|4.||"AK Theme Music (Ready to Rage)"||Instrumental||Instrumental||1:23|
|6.||"Kadhalaada (Reprise)"||Kabilan Vairamuthu||2:18|
|7.||"Never Give Up"||4:30|
- Telugu - Vivekam (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
|4.||"AK Theme Music (Ready to Rage)"||Instrumental||Instrumental||1:23|
|7.||"Never Give Up"||4:30|
- Kannada - Commando (Kannada) [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] - EP
|3.||"Shuru Shuru Shuru"||Naveen||Sparsh||3:15|
|4.||"Baa Baaro"||Raju Hosetti||Lakshmi Vijay||4:37|
|5.||"Kaadu Kulithe (Reprise)"||2:15|
Vivegam was released on 24 August 2017.
The first look of Vivegam was released on 2 February 2017 at 12:01 AM. Ajith's physical transformation was praised, given that he had to undergo a painful knee operation in November 2015, after the release of his previous film, Vedalam.
The Vivegam teaser was released by the film's makers on 11 May 2017. It shows Ajith running about, flexing his muscles, dodging bullets and shooting bullets. It became the fastest movie teaser to reach 5 million views within 12 hours after breaking the record of 5 million views set by the Kabali teaser in 24 hours. It went on to become the most liked for an Indian film after surpassing the record of 500 thousand and more likes set by the Tubelight teaser. The trailer of this movie was released on 17 August 2017.
The Vivegam trailer was presented by Siva and promises a "Tamil film with an international flavor" . it contains elements of friendship, romance, sentiment and action, unlike the teaser, which was completely action packed. The trailer is dedicated to showing the attitude of Ajith's character, that he will move mountains or die trying. He is beaten again and again, yet he keeps bouncing back.
The Times of India rated the film 3 out of 5 and said "Vivegam is an over-the-top but engaging action thriller with a calculated mix of brawn and brain, action and sentiment, smartly pandering to fans while giving families something to connect with." NDTV rated the film 2.5 out of 5 stars and cited "Ajith Is Charismatic But Let Down By Silly Scenes". Behindwoods rated the film 2.25 out of 5, stating, "Vivegam – High on production value and action. Heavily dependent on Ajith's persona, engagement factor takes a beating". Mirchi9 gave the film 2 out of 5 stars, saying " Overall, Vivekam is for the fans and fans alone for whom just watching the star on screen is enough. There is ample style and punch dialogues with a healthy dose of action. For everyone else, it is an utterly boring film". Nowrunning rated the film 1.5/5 and said "Director Siva had collected a bunch of Spy movies from Hollywood and made a mashup of them. He picked up all the action blocks and combined it with loud background score which will only irk the audience. Even the action is also missing in the second half and there is no logic at all. The climax is stretched further which disappoints the audience".
Srinivasa Ramanujan of The Hindu wrote, "Vivegam is a misfire on many levels. It's an attempt to make an “international” thriller, with the assumption that a star with a huge fan base would be able to pull it off. Ajith’s effort is sincere, but Vivegam just doesn’t come together."
- An analysis of the first look poster of Vivegam. M.behindwoods.com (3 February 2017). Retrieved on 4 June 2017.
- A new version of 'Never Ever Give Up' in 'Vivegam'-Tamil Movie News. M.indiaglitz.com. Retrieved on 4 June 2017.
- "Will Ajith's Vivegam beat Rajinikanth's Kabali record at the box office?". Hindustan Times. 23 August 2017.
- "Vivegam-box office- collection Worldwide: Ajith Kumar & Siva Kajal". India Today. Retrieved 5 October 2017.
- "Except Baahubali: The Conclusion and Vivegam, no movie holds this box office record; find out". Financial Express. 9 October 2017. Retrieved 28 December 2017.
- "Ajith's Vivegam passes the censor board test, gets a release date". The Indian Express. 31 July 2017. Retrieved 1 August 2017.
- 'Vivegam' is ready to release as 'Commando' in Kannada | Tamil Movie News – Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (28 August 2018).
- "விவேகம் படத்தில் ஹாலிவுட் நடிகை அமிலா டெர்ஜிமெஹிக் !". New Kollywood. 31 July 2017.
- "'Thala 57:' Sasikumar to turn baddie in Ajith's next film?". Retrieved 10 July 2016.
- "'Thala 57': Kajal Aggarwal to romance Ajith?". Retrieved 10 July 2016.
- "AN IMPORTANT CHANGE IN AK 57". Indiaglitz. 26 October 2016. Retrieved 25 November 2016.
- Thala 57: Ajith flaunts his chiseled physique in Vivegam first look, see pic. The Indian Express. Retrieved on 4 June 2017.
- Ajith's Vivegam look leaves Shah Rukh Khan awestruck : Celebrities, News – India Today. Indiatoday.intoday.in (2 February 2017). Retrieved on 4 June 2017.
- Vivegam Release Date, Cast, Heroine, Songs, Audio Launch. Scooptimes. Retrieved on 4 June 2017.
- ""Vivek Oberoi is not a villain in Vivegam" – Siva surprises". Top 10 Cinema. 29 June 2017. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- "Kajal Aggarwal and Ajith's 'Thala57' begins rolling today!". DNA India. 1 August 2016. Retrieved 2 February 2017.
- Srivatsan (4 August 2016). "Thala 57: Is this the plot of Ajith Kumar's upcoming thriller?". India Today. New Delhi. Retrieved 2 February 2017.
- "Vivegam shoot in restricted zone of Europe". Top 10 Cinema. 21 April 2017. Retrieved 22 April 2017.
- "Vivegam team bids adieu to Serbia". Top 10 Cinema. 1 July 2017. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- ""Srpska hrana je bezukusna, ali RAKIJA NIJE!" Kako se u Srbiji provodi ekipa od 30 Indijaca". Blic Online (in Serbian). 7 May 2017. Retrieved 12 August 2017.
- "It's a wrap for Vivegam". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 15 July 2017.
- "Cleared with UA certificate, Ajith's Vivegam to finally hit screens on August 24". Hindustan Times. 31 July 2017. Retrieved 7 August 2017.
- Sun TV on Twitter: "@SunTV buys broadcast rights of Ajith's #Vivegam #VIVEGAMSatelliteRightsBySUNTV #AK25". Twitter.com (9 August 2017). Retrieved on 23 October 2017.
- Vivegam first look: Ajithâ€™s stuns in a chiselled physique in new poster | regional movies. Hindustan Times. Retrieved on 23 October 2017.
- "'Thala' Ajith-starrer 'Vivegam' teaser released". Retrieved 11 May 2017.
- "Ajith's 'Vivegam' teaser beats Rajinikanth's 'Kabali'". Retrieved 11 May 2017.
- "Vivegam breaks records". Express News Service. 26 July 2017.
- "Ajith's Vivegam Official trailer". Behindwoods. 16 August 2017. Retrieved 17 August 2017.
- 'Vivegam' – Promises a sure shot blockbuster!. Indiaglitz (16 August 2017)
- quintdaily (23 August 2017). "Vivegam Tamil Movie Rating [4/5], Audience Review – QuintDaily".
- "Vivegam Movie Review: Ajith Is Charismatic But Let Down By Silly Scenes". NDTV.com. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- Vivegam (aka) Vivekam review. Behindwoods.com. Retrieved on 31 October 2018.
- Toleti, Siddartha. "Vivegam Movie Review, Vivekam Movie Review Ratings". www.mirchi9.com. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- "Vivekam Review – Telugu Movie Vivekam Review". NOWRUNNING. Retrieved 17 May 2018.
- Ramanujam, Srinivasa (24 August 2017). "'Vivegam' review: Fast without fury". The Hindu. Archived from the original on 24 August 2017.