Vijayawada International Airport (IATA: VGA, ICAO: VOBZ) is a public international airport serving Andhra Pradesh Capital Region. The airport is located at Gannavaram in Vijayawada, where National Highway 16 connecting Chennai to Kolkata passes through.
Vijayawada International Airport
Vijayawada International Airport
|Operator||Airports Authority of India|
|Serves||Andhra Pradesh Capital Region|
|Location||Gannavaram, Andhra Pradesh, India|
|Elevation AMSL||82 ft / 25 m|
|Statistics (Apr 2018– Mar 2019)|
The airfield located at Gannavaram served as an army base during the World War II, after which it was converted into a civilian airport. Air Deccan introduced a daily service between Hyderabad and Vijayawada in September 2003. Until 2011, the airport had only four flights a day operated by Kingfisher Airlines. In 2011, flag carrier Air India and private airlines Spicejet and Jet Airways introduced direct flights to the airport, but the latter terminated its service. Air Costa, a regional airline started operations in October 2013, with Vijayawada as its operational hub, which later suspended services.
To cater to the increasing passenger traffic, the foundation stone for a new interim terminal building was laid in October 2015. The terminal, designed to handle two million passengers per annum was opened on 12 January 2017. It was expected to be sufficient for passenger needs for the next four-five years until a larger terminal was built. After domestic operations were shifted to the interim terminal, the old airport terminal building was closed and was prepared to handle international services. The terminal was equipped with a customs and immigration section and additional facilities and security arrangements.
The Central Government granted international status to Vijayawada airport in May 2017. However, it was only after the state government offered viability gap funding (VGF) to airlines for operating international flights, that private operator IndiGo bid for the contract to operate two flights a week to Singapore. On 4 December, 2018, Indigo flight 6E 33 departed for Singapore Changi Airport marking the Inaugural International Flight for Vijayawada and getting an International Footprint for Vijayawada The flight was terminated in July 2019 after the six-month VGF agreement lapsed and the State Government refused to extend the agreement. Cargo services started from the Airport in August 2018. Vijayawada has been declared as the New Embarkation point for Hajj Pilgrims on 04 Oct 2019.
The airport covers an area of 537 acres (217 ha) and the runway is 3,360 metres (11,020 ft) long. The airport has sixteen parking bays for ATR 72/Bombardier Q400/ Boeing 737/Airbus A320 of which 5 are exclusively for ATR72/Bombardier Q400. Total 02 taxiways are operating for Aircraft use (Taxiway A & B).
The interim terminal and the ceremonial lounge spread over 12,999 square metres includes check-in area, arrival hall, meet and greet service staircase, aviation lounge, and baggage make up area. The lounge is spread over 3,613 square metres. The terminal can handle up to 500 passengers at any point of time and has 18 check-in counters.
The construction of the new integrated terminal building had been started with the foundation stone laid by then honorable Central Aviation Minister Suresh Prabhu and Vice President Venkaiah Naidu on 4 December 2018. The new building will span 35,000m² (376,700 ft²) and is being developed by the Airports Authority of India (AAI) at the cost of ₹ 611 crores (US$86m). The New Terminal will consist of a Steel and Glass Structure with state-of-the-art Passenger Friendly Facilities and the peak hour handling 1,200 passengers and capacity of 3.3 million passengers per annum. It will also feature 24 check-in counters and will be equipped with modern, passenger-friendly facilities. The terminal would also accommodate parking facility for 1,250 four wheelers. A total of 14 immigration counters, three customs counters, and five baggage belts would be installed for the convenience of international and domestic passengers.
Airlines and destinationsEdit
|Year||Passenger traffic||Aircraft movement|
Accidents and incidentsEdit
- "Traffic News for the month of March 2018: Annexure-III" (PDF). Airports Authority of India. p. 2. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 February 2017. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- "Traffic News for the month of March 2018: Annexure-II" (PDF). Airports Authority of India. p. 2. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- Dangwal, Sandhya (4 May 2017). "Vijayawada Airport upgraded as international airport; to improve connectivity, cargo movement". India.com. Retrieved 9 May 2017.
- Sarma, Ch. R. S. (12 January 2017). "Gannavaram airport named after Amaravati". The Hindu Business Line. Retrieved 15 January 2017.
- "PM to inaugurate new terminal building at Vijayawada airport on January 12". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 15 January 2017.
- "One more flight for Vijayawada". The Hindu. 23 November 2005. Retrieved 18 September 2014.
- "Another pvt airliner to operate from Gannavaram". Times of India. Retrieved 14 March 2011.
- "Foundation stone of Vijayawada airport's new terminal laid". The Economic Times. 19 October 2015. Retrieved 12 January 2017.
- "Naidu opens new transit terminal at Vijayawada airport". Deccan Chronicle. 12 January 2017. Retrieved 5 October 2019.
- "Old airport terminal readying for international operations". The Hindu. 24 June 2017. Retrieved 5 October 2019.
- "Cabinet approves Vijayawada Airport as International Airport". Press Information Bureau. 3 May 2017. Retrieved 5 October 2019.
- "Vijayawada airport gets international status, first flight takes off to Singapore". The News Minute. 5 December 2019. Retrieved 5 October 2019.
- "With First Flight To Singapore, Vijayawada Enters Global Aviation Map". NDTV.com. Retrieved 12 December 2018.
- "Vijayawada to Singapore IndiGo flights from Dec 4". @businessline. Retrieved 24 October 2018.
- "Vijayawada-Singapore directflight service dropped". The Hindu. 2 July 2019. Retrieved 5 October 2019.
- "New airport terminal to be opened on Jan 12". The Hindu. 12 January 2017. Retrieved 12 January 2017.
- "Vijayawada AirPort gets international status, first flight takes off to Singapore". www.thenewsminute.com. Retrieved 12 December 2018.
- Events, UKi Media & (6 December 2018). "Vijayawada Airport begins construction of new US$86m terminal". Passenger Terminal Today. Retrieved 12 December 2018.
- "Vijayawada airport gets international status". www.thenewsminute.com. Retrieved 5 March 2019.
- "Air India Express connects Vijayawada and Mumbai". The Hindu Business Line. 19 January 2018.
- "SpiceJet's Flights Schedule and Information for domestic and international flights". spicejet.com. Retrieved 2 February 2019.
- "ROUTE MAP". www.trujet.com. December 2018.
- "Traffic News for the month of March 2017: Annexure-III" (PDF). Airports Authority of India. p. 2. Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 April 2017. Retrieved 24 May 2017.
- "Traffic News for the month of March 2017: Annexure-II" (PDF). Airports Authority of India. p. 2. Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 April 2017. Retrieved 24 May 2017.
- "Traffic News for the month of March 2016: Annexure-III" (PDF). Airports Authority of India. p. 2. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- "Traffic News for the month of March 2016: Annexure-II" (PDF). Airports Authority of India. p. 2. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- "Accident description". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 8 October 2009.
Media related to Vijayawada Airport at Wikimedia Commons