UEFA Euro 2012 qualifying play-offs
The UEFA Euro 2012 qualifying play-off ties were played over two legs, with the first legs on 11 November and the second legs on 15 November 2011. The four winners are found according to the standard rules for the knockout phase in European competitions, and the winners qualified for the Euro 2012 tournament. Qualifying play-offs was a second stage (round) of UEFA Euro 2012 qualifying.
Ranking of second-placed teamsEdit
The highest ranked second placed team from the groups qualified automatically for the tournament, while the remainder entered the playoffs. As some groups contain six teams and some five, matches against the sixth-placed team in each group were not included in this ranking. As a result, a total of eight matches played by each team count toward the purpose of the second-placed ranking table.
|1||E||Sweden||8||6||0||2||20||11||+9||18||Qualify for final tournament|
|2||H||Portugal||8||5||1||2||21||12||+9||16||Advance to play-offs|
|4||B||Republic of Ireland||8||4||3||1||10||6||+4||15|
|5||D||Bosnia and Herzegovina||8||4||2||2||9||8||+1||14|
Rules for classification: 1) Points; 2) Goal difference; 3) Goals scored; 4) Away goals scored; 5) Position in the UEFA national team coefficient ranking system; 6) Fair play ranking; 7) Drawing of lots.
After the controversy caused by the UEFA play-offs during 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifying – which was originally to be an unseeded draw, but was later altered by FIFA to a seeded one – UEFA stated from the outset that the draw for the play-offs would be seeded. The four runners-up with the best positions in the UEFA team coefficient ranking system were therefore seeded.
Each nation's coefficient was generated by calculating:
- 40% of the average ranking points per game earned in the UEFA Euro 2012 qualifying group stage.
- 40% of the average ranking points per game earned in the 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifying stage and final tournament.
- 20% of the average ranking points per game earned in the UEFA Euro 2008 qualifying stage and final tournament.
The seedings were as follows:
|Team 1||Agg.||Team 2||1st leg||2nd leg|
|Estonia||1–5||Republic of Ireland||0–4||1–1|
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||2–6||Portugal||0–0||2–6|
Croatia won 3–0 on aggregate and qualified for UEFA Euro 2012.
|Estonia||0–4||Republic of Ireland|
Keane 71', 88' (pen.)
|Republic of Ireland||1–1||Estonia|
|Ward 32'||Report||Vassiljev 57'|
Republic of Ireland won 5–1 on aggregate and qualified for UEFA Euro 2012.
Czech Republic won 3–0 on aggregate and qualified for UEFA Euro 2012.
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||0–0||Portugal|
|Portugal||6–2||Bosnia and Herzegovina|
|Ronaldo 8', 53'
Postiga 72', 82'
|Report||Misimović 41' (pen.)
Portugal won 6–2 on aggregate and qualified for UEFA Euro 2012.
There were 20 goals scored in 8 matches, for an average of 2.5 goals per match.
- "UEFA Euro 2012 qualifying play-offs". UEFA.com. Union of European Football Associations. Retrieved 5 October 2010.
- "Regulations of the UEFA European Football Championship 2010–12" (PDF). UEFA. September 2009. pp. 6–7. Retrieved 3 September 2010.
- "Draw for the UEFA EURO 2012 play-offs". UEFA. 13 October 2011.
- "National Team Coefficient Ranking" (PDF). UEFA. 12 October 2011.
- "Seedings confirmed for EURO play-off draw". UEFA. 12 October 2011.