Felix Brych (born 3 August 1975) is a German football referee who is based in Munich. He referees for SV Am Hart München of the Bavarian Football Association. He is a FIFA referee, and is ranked as a UEFA Elite group referee.
Brych at the 2018 FIFA World Cup
3 August 1975|
Munich, West Germany
Brych started refereeing in the Bundesliga in 2004 and was awarded his FIFA badge in 2007. He refereed his first senior international match in October that year, taking charge of Romania's 2–0 win over Luxembourg in UEFA Euro 2008 qualifying Group G. In February 2008, Brych was appointed to referee the 2007–08 UEFA Cup Round of 32 match between Panathinaikos and Rangers, and in October 2008, he officiated the 2008–09 UEFA Champions League Group D match between Liverpool and PSV Eindhoven.
Brych officiated the first leg of the 2011–12 Champions League semi-final between Chelsea and Barcelona, a match that finished with a win for the Blues over the defending champions. In August 2013 he officiated an international friendly between England and Scotland at Wembley Stadium.
On 14 May 2014, Brych refereed the 2014 UEFA Europa League Final between Sevilla and Benfica. The match finished 0–0 after extra time, and went to a penalty shoot-out, which Sevilla won 4–2, in what was considered a controversial officiating.
On 12 May 2017, Brych was chosen by UEFA as the referee for the 2017 UEFA Champions League Final, played in Cardiff on 3 June 2017 between Juventus and Real Madrid. He was joined by assistants Mark Borsch and Stefan Lupp, and the fourth official was Serbian Milorad Mažić. Bastian Dankert and Marco Fritz served as the additional assistant referees, with Rafael Foltyn appointed as the reserve assistant referee.
On 29 March 2018, Brych was selected by FIFA as one of the referees to officiate at the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia, his second FIFA World Cup. Brych was joined by assistants Mark Borsch and Stefan Lupp. He refereed just one game at the tournament, Serbia vs Switzerland, and was disappointed not to referee more.
Outside football Brych is a qualified doctor of law, having written his doctorate about sport.
- "Panathinaikos 1-1 Rangers – Lineups". uefa.com. Union of European Football Associations. 21 February 2008. Retrieved 4 August 2009.
- "Liverpool 3-1 PSV – Lineups". uefa.com. Union of European Football Associations. 1 October 2008. Retrieved 4 August 2009.
- "Sevilla v Benfica, Europa League final 2014: as it happened". Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 2 November 2016.
- "Com arbitragem polêmica e muito drama, Sevilla bate Benfica nos pênaltis e conquista a UEL" [With a controversial officiating and lots of drama, Sevilla beats Benfica on penalties and wins the UEL]. vavel.com (in Portuguese). VAVEL Brasil. 14 May 2014. Retrieved 23 January 2015.
- "Felix Brych appointed Champions League final referee". UEFA.com. Union of European Football Associations. 12 May 2017. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "Brych einziger deutscher Referee bei der WM 2018" [Brych sole German referee at the 2018 World Cup]. kicker.de (in German). kicker-sportmagazin. 29 March 2018. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- (www.dw.com), Deutsche Welle. "World Cup over for German referee Felix Brych | DW | 05.07.2018". DW.COM. Retrieved 14 July 2018.
- Longman, Jeré (18 April 2012). "Alone, Armed with only a whistle". nytimes.com. London: The New York Times. Retrieved 18 March 2018.