Shu Qi at the 2015 Cannes Film Festival
|Chinese name||舒淇 (traditional)|
|Pinyin||Shū Qí (Mandarin)|
|Jyutping||Syu1 Kei4 (Cantonese)|
|Pe̍h-ōe-jī||Su Kî (Hokkien)|
Lín Lì-Huì (Mandarin)
Lîm Li̍p-hūi ((Hokkien)
16 April 1976
Xindian, Taipei, Taiwan
|Other names||Hsu Chi
|Alma mater||New Taipei Municipal Wu Feng Junior High School|
|Spouse(s)||Stephen Fung (m. 2016)|
Born in Xindian township, Taipei County (now New Taipei City), Shu Qi went to Hong Kong at the age of 17 to seek a film career. She eventually came under the management of Hong Kong film producer Manfred Wong, who signed her to several Hong Kong Category III films such as Sex & Zen II (1996). She was a soft porn actress for a period of time and appeared in the Chinese edition of Playboy magazine.[better source needed]
Shu Qi starred in Derek Yee's 1996 film, Viva Erotica, which was about the erotic film industry in Hong Kong, together with Karen Mok and Leslie Cheung. She received the Best Supporting Actress award for her performance in Viva Erotica at the 16th Hong Kong Film Awards in 1997. Thereafter, she has appeared in Hong Kong films such as Portland Street Blues (1998), City of Glass (1998), the box office hit Gorgeous (1999), Stanley Kwan's The Island Tales (1999) and Hou Hsiao-hsien's critically acclaimed film Millennium Mambo (2000), successfully made her transition into mainstream acting.
In 2002, Shu starred in the French film The Transporter, the first installment of the Transporter franchise. This marked her first foray into the American market. Later, Shu would go on to star in a small but very memorable role in the American romantic comedy New York, I Love You (2008).
Among Shu's earlier notable works were The Foliage (2004), a romance film set in Yunnan during the Cultural Revolution. She won the Best Actress award at the 13th Shanghai Film Critics Awards for her performance. Shu again worked with Hou Hsiao-hsien in Three Times (2005), which competed at the Cannes Film Festival and won Shu the Best Actress award at the Golden Horse Awards.
In 2006, Shu starred in the third installment of the gangster film, My Wife Is a Gangster alongside Korean actor Lee Beom-soo. She also starred alongside Tony Leung Chiu-wai and Takeshi Kaneshiro in the crime drama Confession of Pain.
Shu was a member of the jury of the Berlin International Film Festival in 2008 and the Cannes Film Festival in 2009. The same year, she was honored at the Huabiao Awards as Best Actress for the Taiwan and Hong Kong region for her performance in the romantic comedy film, If You Are the One, directed by Feng Xiaogang. The romantic comedy was a hit and became the highest grossing Chinese film of the year.
Shu starred in Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons (2013), directed by Stephen Chow and loosely based on the Chinese literary classic Journey to the West. The film overtook Lost in Thailand to become the highest grossing Chinese movie.
Shu reunited with director Hou Hsiao-hsien in his first wuxia film The Assassin (2015), where she starred as the titular character. The film received overwhelming positive reviews at the Cannes Film Festival, and Shu won the Best Actress award at the Asian Film Festival. The same year, she starred in the blockbuster film Mojin: The Lost Legend, adapted from popular adventure novel series Ghost Blows Out the Light.
In 2016, Shu starred alongside Feng Shaofeng and Victoria Song in the Chinese remake of My Best Friend's Wedding. She was also cast in fantasy comedy The Village of No Return, which premiered at the first day of Spring Festival in 2017. In 2017, Shu starred in Stephen Fung's The Adventurers alongside Jean Reno and Andy Lau.
Shu Qi has been representing Frederique Constant in Asia as a brand ambassador since 2008. In 2009, she, along with Frederique Constant and Paint-a-Smile Foundation, repainted the murals on the walls of the cardiology department at the Beijing Children's Hospital.
|Year||English title||Original title||Role||Notes|
|1995||Unexpected Challenges||灵欲轨道||Sha Sha|
|1996||Sex & Zen II||玉蒲團二之玉女心經||Huan Ji|
|Street Angels||紅燈區||Ming Ming|
|Till Death Do Us Laugh||怪談協會||Ye|
|Growing Up||人细鬼大之三个Handsup的少年||Qi Qi|
|Viva Erotica||色情男女||Meng Qiao|
|1997||My Dad Is a Jerk||對不起，多謝你||Angela|
|Love Is Not a Game, But a Joke||飛一般愛情小說||Ah Shan|
|L-O-V-E... Love||超級無敵追女仔||Luo Fei|
|Those Were the Days||精装难兄难弟||Zhao Fangfang|
|Love: Amoeba Style||愛情Amoeba||Boy|
|The Fruit is Swelling||蜜桃成熟時1997||Herself||Cameo|
|The Lucky Guy||行運一條龍||Fang Fang|
|The Storm Riders||風雲雄霸天下||Chu Chu|
|Another Meltdown||碧血藍天||Chan Pun|
|Young and Dangerous: The Prequel||新古惑仔之少年激鬥篇||Ah Fei|
|City of Glass||玻璃之城||Yue Wen|
|Young and Dangerous 5||98古惑仔之龍爭虎鬥||Deng Meiling|
|Portland Street Blues||古惑仔情義篇之洪興十三妹||Dao Baqi|
|Extreme Crisis||B計劃||Anita Lee|
|Love Generation Hong Kong||新戀愛世紀||Joey|
|Iron Sister||悍婦崗||Sun Tiemei|
|A Man Called Hero||中華英雄||Mu Xiuluo|
|Metade Fumaca||半支煙||Ah Nan|
|When I Look Upon the Stars||天旋地戀||Kiki|
|My Loving Trouble 7||我愛777||Julia / 777|
|2000||My Name is Nobody||賭聖3無名小子||Ku'er|
|The Island Tales||有時跳舞||Mei Ling|
|Flyin' Dance||第一次的親密接觸||Qing Wu Fei Yang|
|Born to Be King||勝者為王||Deng Meiling|
|For Bad Boys Only||BadBoy特攻||Guan Zheng|
|Bruce Law Stunts||特技猛龍||Herself||Cameo|
|Hidden Whisper||小百無禁忌||Xiao Bai|
|Love Me, Love My Money||有情飲水飽||Ya Cai|
|Beijing Rocks||北京樂與路||Yang Yin|
|2002||Home in My Heart||山顶上的钟声||Li Juan|
|The Wesley's Mysterious File||衛斯理藍血人||Bai Su|
|Women From Mars||當男人變成女人||Messenger of Hell|
|So Close||夕陽天使||Chen Ailin|
|Just One Look||一碌蔗||mysterious girl on balcony||Cameo|
|The Transporter||非常人贩||Lai Kwai|
|2003||The Foliage||美人草||Ye Xingyu|
|Looking for Mr. Perfect||奇逢敵手||Xiao Ling|
|Magic & Me||千變魔手||Herself||Documentary short film|
|2004||Haunted Office||Office有鬼||Ah Shan|
|The Eye 2||見鬼2||Joey Cheung|
|Home Sweet Home||怪物||May|
|Three Times||最好的時光||Xiu Mei|
|2006||My Wife Is a Gangster 3||我的老婆是大佬3||Lim Yaling|
|Confession of Pain||傷城||Xi Feng|
|2007||Forest of Death||森冤||Xia Songqi|
|The Electric Princess House||电姬馆||pregnant woman||Short film|
|2008||If You Are the One||非誠勿擾||Liang Xiaoxiao|
|2009||Look for a Star||游龍戲鳳||Xue Milan|
|New York, I Love You||纽约,我爱你||Chinese herbalist|
|2010||City Under Siege||全城戒備||Angel|
|Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen||精武風雲－陳真||Kiki|
|If You Are the One 2||非诚勿扰2||Liang Xiaoxiao|
|2011||A Beautiful Life||不再讓你孤單||Li Peiru|
|10+10||十加十||young woman||Short film|
|The Second Woman||情謎||Huibao / Huixiang|
|Tai Chi 0||太極從零開始||Mother Yang||Cameo|
|Tai Chi Hero||太極Ⅱ：英雄崛起||Mother Yang||Cameo|
|2013||Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons||西遊·降魔篇||Miss Duan|
|2014||Gone with the Bullets||一步之遥||Wan Yanying|
|2015||The Assassin||刺客聶隱娘||Nie Yinniang|
|All You Need Is Love||落跑吧愛情||Ye Fenfen|
|Mojin: The Lost Legend||鬼吹燈之尋龍訣||Shirley Yang|
|The Last Women Standing||剩者為王||Sheng Ruxi|
|2016||My Best Friend's Wedding||我最好朋友的婚礼||Gu Jia|
|2017||The Village of No Return||健忘村||Chen Yuxun|
|Journey to the West: The Demons Strike Back||西遊伏妖篇||Miss Duan||Cameo|
|The Adventurers||俠盜聯盟||Ye Hong|
|2019||Shanghai Fortress||上海堡壘||Lin Lan|
|Year||English title||Original title||Role||Notes|
|1999||Up Where We Belong||難得有情人||Gui Ping|
|2001||The Duke of Mount Deer||小寶與康熙||Little Goldfish|
|Romance of Red Dust||風塵三俠之紅拂女||Hong Fu Nü|
|2006||Stephen's Diary||老馮日記||Lao Ma's ex-girlfriend||Cameo|
|Year||English title||Original title||Album||Notes|
|1998||"Frustrated"||心领||Portland Street Blues OST|
|"You Don't Know"||你不知道|
|2005||"Those Years, This Day"||那一年, 这一天||Seoul Raiders OST||with Richie Jen|
|2007||"Blood Brothers"||天堂口||Blood Brothers OST|
|2009||"I Do"||N/A||Look for a Star OST||with Andy Lau|
|2010||"Card Door"||卡门||Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen OST|
|2013||"Love In A Life Time"||一生所爱||Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons OST|
Awards and nominationsEdit
- "Leaked list reveals China's top earning actresses". China Daily. 18 November 2014.
- Cooke, Crip. "5 Actresses You Won't Believe Used To Be Porn Stars". What Culture. Retrieved 2014-04-13.
- "Shu Qi : From Cat III to Cannes". Eastern Kicks. 23 May 2016.
- "Shu Qi, beauty of the underworld". Taipei Times. 20 May 2011.
- "The Foliage". China.org.cn.
- ""The Foliage" won an award as Best Actress (Shu Qi) in the 13th Yong Le Cup Shanghai Film Critics Awards in China". Mei Ah Entertainment. 16 June 2004.
- "Three Times". Festival De Cannes.
- "'Kung Fu Hustle' Wins Golden Horse Award". The Washington Post. 13 November 2005.
- "Taiwanese Star in Korea to Promote New Gangster Film". The Chosun Ilbo. 7 December 2006.
- "Shu Qi and Xu Jinglei". Variety. 16 July 2006.
- "Shu Qi, Diane Kruger to join Berlinale jury". China.org.cn. 31 January 2008.
- "China's Shu Qi among Cannes jury". China Daily. 13 May 2009.
- "FILM REVIEW: The odd couple". Taipei Times. 19 June 2009.
- "Zhang, Woo honored at China awards". The Hollywood Reporter. 30 August 2009.
- "Film Review: 'Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons'". Variety. 10 March 2013.
- "Hou Hsiao-Hsien's Wuxia Epic 'The Assassin' Astonishes Cannes". Indie Wire. 21 May 2015.
- "'The Assassin' Sweeps 10th Asian Film Awards". Variety. 16 March 2016.
- "'Mojin: The Lost Legend' Rules China's Box Office, Breaking Records". CRI English. 20 December 2015.
- Borys Kit (20 May 2015). "'My Best Friends' Wedding' Chinese Remake Finds Stars". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "Fantasy comedy starring Shu Qi set to be screened on Spring Festival". China Daily. 25 November 2016.
- "Jean Reno-Starrer 'The Adventurers' to Shoot in Czech Republic". Variety. 4 July 2016.
- "Aliens on the big screen". China Daily. 21 September 2017.
- "Watchmaker Frederique Constant teams up with movie star Shu Qi in a children's charity initiative". Moodie Report. Archived from the original on 2011-07-14. Retrieved 2009-12-13.
- "Shu Qi To Front Paint A Smile Campaign". Look to the Stars. Retrieved 2009-12-13.
- "Shu Qi - the new face for Emporio Armani". Luxos. August 2010.
- "'The Assassin' star Shu Qi marries HK actor-director Fung". The Seattle Times. 3 September 2016.
- "Shu Qi and Stephen Fung announce marriage after denying long-time romance". AsiaOne. 3 September 2016.