Seven Seas Entertainment is an American publishing company located in Los Angeles, California. It was originally dedicated to the publication of original English-language manga, but now publishes licensed manga and light novels from Japan, as well as select webcomics. The company is headed by Jason DeAngelis, who coined the term "world manga" with the October 2004 launch of the company's website.
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Los Angeles, California|
|Distribution||Penguin Random House Publisher Services|
|Publication types||Manga, graphic novels, OEL manga, light novels, danmei|
In April 2005, Seven Seas became the first manga publisher to release downloadable manga content for the PlayStation Portable and, as a result, gained over 12,000 downloads in the first five days. Seven Seas followed the PlayStation Portable announcement with enlisting the platinum-selling Filipino group the J Brothers to create a theme song for its web OEL manga series Aoi House entitled "Itsumo Futaride". During Comic-Con 2005, Seven Seas Entertainment premiered the pilot of its No Man's Land flash anime series and later followed it with a flash animation music video based on Aoi House.
In March 2008, Seven Seas Entertainment began publishing new editions of Rachel Robert's popular children's fantasy novel series Avalon: Web of Magic in conjunction with Red Sky Entertainment. A three-volume manga spin-off titled Avalon: The Warlock Diaries followed which started in June 2009. Seven Seas and Red Sky Entertainment also launched a dedicated website for the Avalon novel series in September 2008 at AvalonMagic.com.
On August 1, 2012, Seven Seas Entertainment launched the ad-supported free webcomic portal Zoom Comics in partnership with Pixie Trix Comix. The initial launch titles included Amazing Agent Jennifer, Dracula Everlasting, Paranormal Mystery Squad, and Vampire Cheerleaders.
On October 11, 2017, Seven Seas Entertainment announced a new manga imprint called Ghost Ship for its mature titles. Manga series licensed under this imprint are distributed through Diamond Book Distributors.
On November 13, 2020, Seven Seas Entertainment announced a new imprint called "Airship" for its light novel and Japanese prose novel licenses.
On December 21, 2020, Seven Seas Entertainment announced that they would publish Hiveworks webcomics in print.
In early 2021, it was found that Seven Seas Entertainment had been making alteration to their English translations of certain light novels. This resulted in multiple lines or paragraphs being omitted from the English release. Some of the titles affected were Classroom of the Elite, I'm in Love with the Villainess, and Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation.
On August 4, 2021, Seven Seas Entertainment began licensing Danmei novels from China, beginning with The Scum Villain's Self-Saving System, Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation, and Heaven Official's Blessing, all written by Mo Xiang Tong Xiu.
On January 5, 2022, Seven Seas Entertainment began releasing Korean webtoons in print, beginning with PULSE, Love is an Illusion!, and Killing Stalking all published on the Lezhin Comics web platform.
On January 26, 2022, Seven Seas Entertainment announced a new imprint called "Steamship" for its shōjo, josei and teens' love romance manga titles, beginning with GAME: Between the Suits, I'll Never be Your Crown Princess!, Ladies on Top, and Outbride: Beauty and the Beasts.
On May 23, 2022, employees of Seven Seas announced the formation of "United Workers of the Seven Seas", a union working with Communications Workers of America. On May 29, 2022, Seven Seas management announced that it would not voluntarily recognize the union and has requested an election with the NLRB.
On May 31, 2022, it was revealed that Seven Seas had hired the law firm of Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart to represent them in their NLRB case with their employees. In response the United Workers of the Seven Seas tweeted out that Seven Seas had hired "the union-busting firm Ogletree Deakins" to counter their union efforts.
Seven Seas currently has six different age ratings for their titles (they previously had a single unified "Older Teens" rating for ages 16 and older, but that was changed to have separate "Older Teen (15+)" and "Older Teen (17+)" ratings to better indicate the intensity and frequency of the different types of content):
|All ages||Appropriate for readers of any age. No swearing or suggestive themes/sexual content. May include mild fantasy action/violence.|
|Ages 10+||Intended for readers aged 10 years and older. No swearing. May include mild action/comedic violence, mildly crude humor, or mild tobacco/alcohol use.|
|Teen (13+)||Intended for readers aged 13 years and older. May include mild swearing, mild suggestive themes, moderate violence, and/or tobacco, alcohol, or other substance use.|
|Older Teen (15+)||Intended for readers aged 15 years and older. May include moderate swearing, mild suggestive themes/sexual content, partial nudity, violence, and/or tobacco, alcohol, or other substance use.|
|Older Teen (17+)||Intended for readers aged 17 years and older. May include frequent swearing, intense violence, nudity, sexual content, and/or tobacco, alcohol, or other substance use.|
|Mature||Intended for readers aged 18 years and older. May include intense language, nudity, sexual content, extreme violence, and/or other mature themes.|
- Amazing Agent Jennifer
- Amazing Agent Luna
- Aoi House
- Arkham Woods
- Avalon: The Warlock Diaries
- Avalon: Web of Magic
- Blade for Barter
- Captain Nemo
- Dead Already
- Destiny's Hand
- Dracula Everlasting
- Dungeon Crawlers Academy
- Free Runners
- Hollow Fields
- It Takes a Wizard
- Last Hope
- Mr. Grieves
- My Little Pony: The Manga
- No Man's Land
- Paranormal Mystery Squad
- ROADQUEEN: Eternal Roadtrip to Love
- Ten Beautiful Assassins
- The Outcast
- Vampire Cheerleaders
- Amongst Us
- Life of Melody
- Never Satisfied
- Persephone: Hades' Torment
- Sleepless Domain
- Tiger, Tiger
Seven Seas Entertainment (manga)Edit
Ghost Ship (manga)Edit
- 2.5 Dimensional Seduction
- Ayakashi Triangle
- Booty Royale: Never Go Down Without a Fight!
- Call Girl in Another World
- Cat in a Hot Girls' Dorm
- Creature Girls: A Hands-On Field Journal in Another World
- Darling in the Franxx
- Desire Pandora
- Destiny Lovers
- Devilish Darlings Portal Fantasy
- Do You Like Big Girls?
- Does a Hot Elf Live Next Door to You?
- Double Your Pleasure – A Twin Yuri Anthology
- Ero Ninja Scrolls
- Fire in His Fingertips: A Flirty Fireman Ravishes Me with His Smoldering Gaze
- GUNBURED × SISTERS
- I'm Not a Succubus!
- I'm Not Meat: Get Your Filthy Paws Off Me!
- Into the Deepest, Most Unknowable Dungeon
- It's Just Not My Night: Tale of a Fallen Vampire Queen
- JK Haru is a Sex Worker in Another World
- Manga Diary of a Male Porn Star
- Might as Well Cheat: I Got Transported to Another World Where I Can Live My Wildest Dreams!
- Parallel Paradise
- Peter Grill and the Philosopher's Time
- Please Go Home, Miss Akutsu!
- Saki the Succubus Hungers Tonight
- Shiori's Diary
- Sundome!! Milky Way
- Survival in Another World with My Mistress!
- The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Love You
- The Witches of Adamas
- To Love Ru
- To Love Ru Darkness
- Welcome to Succubus High!
- Who Wants to Marry a Billionaire?
- Wicked Trapper: Hunter of Heroes
- World's End Harem
- World's End Harem: Fantasia
- World's End Harem: Fantasia Academy
- Yokai Girls
- Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
- GAME: Between the Suits
- I'll Never be Your Crown Princess!
- Ladies on Top
- Outbride: Beauty and the Beasts
- The Villainess and the Demon Knight
Airship (novel/light novel)Edit
- 7th Time Loop: The Villainess Enjoys a Carefree Life Married to Her Worst Enemy!
- A Little Princess (Yū Shiina)
- A Tale of the Secret Saint
- Accomplishments of the Duke's Daughter
- Adachi and Shimamura
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass (Kriss Sison)
- Alice in the Country of Diamonds
- Anne of Green Gables (Maki Minami)
- Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest
- Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest Zero
- At Night, I Become a Monster
- Ballad of a Shinigami
- Berserk of Gluttony
- Bloom Into You: Regarding Saeki Sayaka
- Buck Naked in Another World
- Classroom of the Elite
- Classroom of the Elite: Year 2
- Clockwork Planet
- Dance in the Vampire Bund: Secret Chronicles
- Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?!
- Disciple of the Lich: Or How I Was Cursed by the Gods and Dropped Into the Abyss!
- Division Maneuver
- Drugstore in Another World: The Slow Life of a Cheat Pharmacist
- Failure Frame: I Became the Strongest and Annihilated Everything With Low-Level Spells
- Free Life Fantasy Online: Immortal Princess
- Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash
- Hello World
- How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom
- I am Blue, in Pain, and Fragile
- I Had That Same Dream Again
- I Have a Secret
- I Swear I Won't Bother You Again!
- I Want to Eat Your Pancreas
- I Will Forget This Feeling Someday
- I'm in Love with the Villainess
- I'm in Love with the Villainess: She's So Cheeky for a Commoner
- I'm the Evil Lord of an Intergalactic Empire
- Irina: The Vampire Cosmonaut
- Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear
- Loner Life in Another World
- Magic User: Reborn in Another World as a Max Level Wizard
- Modern Villainess: It's Not Easy Building a Corporate Empire Before the Crash
- Monster Girl Doctor
- Monster Musume – Monster Girls on the Job!
- Muscles are Better Than Magic!
- Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation
- My Status as an Assassin Obviously Exceeds the Hero's
- Neon Genesis Evangelion: ANIMA
- Perfect Blue: Awaken from a Dream
- Perfect Blue: Complete Metamorphosis
- Peter Pan (Kriss Sison)
- Planet of the Orcs
- Pollyanna (Yukawa Kazuno)
- Pride and Prejudice (Shiei)
- Qualia the Purple
- Raven of the Inner Palace
- Reborn as a Space Mercenary: I Woke Up Piloting the Strongest Starship!
- Record of Lodoss War
- Reincarnated as a Dragon Hatchling
- Reincarnated as a Sword
- Restaurant to Another World
- Ride Your Wave
- ROLL OVER AND DIE: I Will Fight for an Ordinary Life with My Love and Cursed Sword!!
- SCP Foundation: Iris Through the Looking Glass
- She Professed Herself Pupil of the Wise Man
- Skeleton Knight in Another World
- Strawberry Panic!
- Survival in Another World with My Mistress!
- Sword of the Demon Hunter: Kijin Gentōshō
- The Ancient Magus' Bride: The Golden Yarn
- The Ancient Magus' Bride: The Silver Yarn
- The Case Files of Jeweler Richard
- The Disappearance of Hatsune Miku
- The Haunted Bookstore – Gateway to a Parallel Universe
- The Hidden Dungeon Only I Can Enter
- The Illustrated Fairy Tale Princess Collection
- The Invincible Shovel
- The Most Heretical Last Boss Queen: From Villainess to Savior
- The Most Notorious "Talker" Runs the World's Greatest Clan
- The NPCs in this Village Sim Game Must Be Real!
- The Princess and the Goblin (okama)
- The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent
- The Secret Garden (Yū Shiina)
- The Sorcerer King of Destruction and the Golem of the Barbarian Queen
- The Strange Adventure of a Broke Mercenary
- The Tunnel to Summer, the Exit of Goodbyes
- The Weakest Tamer Began a Journey to Pick Up Trash
- The Wonderful Wizard of Oz & The Marvelous Land of Oz (Kriss Sison)
- There's No Freaking Way I'll be Your Lover! Unless...
- Though I am an Inept Villainess: Tale of the Butterfly-Rat Body Swap in the Maiden Court
- Titan (Mado Nozaki)
- To Every You I've Loved Before
- To Me, The One Who Loved You
- Trapped in a Dating Sim: The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs
- True Tenchi Muyo!
- Until I Meet My Husband
- Vivy Prototype
- Wait for Me Yesterday
- Wicked City
- World's Fastest Level Up!
- Yes, No, or Maybe?
- A Stepmother's Märchen
- Killing Stalking
- Love is an Illusion!
- Obnoxious Hero-kun
- Who Made Me a Princess
Seven Seas Entertainment (manga)Edit
- Diva v. Poe
- Gun Princess
- The Pirate and the Princess: The Timelight Stone
- "I, OTAKU "ARE YOU AN OTAKU?" CONTEST." Seven Seas Entertainment. Retrieved on October 25, 2011. "This contest is sponsored by Seven Seas Entertainment LLC, 626 Midvale Ave. #1, Los Angeles, California, 90024"
- Correction: World Manga
- Manga for Sony PSP: Seven Seas Announces 12,000 Downloads in 5 Days
- Seven Seas Entertainment Launches new "Light Novel" Imprint
- "Avalon book listing on Gomanga.com". Archived from the original on November 2, 2013. Retrieved January 29, 2010.
- Avalon Magic: dedicated website for Avalon series
- "Robot 6: Seven Seas sets up global manga webcomics site". Archived from the original on March 14, 2012. Retrieved June 26, 2012.
- "Seven Seas Entertainment Collaborates with J-Novel Club to Bring Light Novels to Print". Anime News Network. January 20, 2017. Retrieved July 6, 2017.
- "Seven Seas Launches New Ghost Ship Imprint to Deliver Mature Manga Through Diamond Book Distributors, Including New Titles YUUNA AND THE HAUNTED HOT SPRINGS and WORLD'S END HAREM". Seven Seas Entertainment. October 11, 2017. Retrieved October 13, 2017.
- "Seven Seas Focuses on Light Novels with New Imprint: Airship". Seven Seas Entertainment. November 13, 2020. Retrieved November 17, 2020.
- "PENGUIN RANDOM HOUSE PUBLISHER SERVICES & MANGA PUBLISHER SEVEN SEAS ENTERTAINMENT SET JULY 2021 WORLDWIDE SALES & DISTRIBUTION AGREEMENT". Seven Seas Entertainment. November 20, 2020. Retrieved December 11, 2020.
- "Seven Seas and Hiveworks Comics Join Forces to Bring Webcomics to Bookstores". Seven Seas Entertainment. December 22, 2020. Retrieved December 22, 2020.
- "Why Seven Seas Altered Its Light Novels". Anime News Network. April 26, 2021. Retrieved April 26, 2021.
- "Seven Seas Licenses Three Blockbuster Chinese Novel Series from Mo Xiang Tong Xiu: THE SCUM VILLAIN'S SELF-SAVING SYSTEM, GRANDMASTER OF DEMONIC CULTIVATION, and HEAVEN OFFICIAL'S BLESSING". Seven Seas Entertainment. August 4, 2021. Retrieved October 21, 2021.
- "Seven Seas Licenses Lezhin Webtoons KILLING STALKING, LOVE IS AN ILLUSION!, and PULSE for Print Release". Seven Seas Entertainment. January 5, 2022. Retrieved January 5, 2022.
- "Seven Seas Raises the Temperature with Steamship: A Sexy Romance Imprint for Women". Seven Seas Entertainment. January 26, 2022. Retrieved January 26, 2022.
- "Manga Publisher Seven Seas' Workers Form Union". Anime News Network. Retrieved May 30, 2022.
- Reid |, Calvin. "Seven Seas Staff Launches Effort to Form Union". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved May 30, 2022.
- "Seven Seas Releases Statement on Workers Union". Anime News Network. Retrieved May 30, 2022.
- "Seven Seas Licenses GRANDMASTER OF DEMONIC CULTIVATION: MO DAO ZU SHI Manhua/Comic Series from Mo Xiang Tong Xiu (MXTX)". Seven Seas Entertainment. May 25, 2022. Retrieved May 25, 2022.
- "Seven Seas Entertainment, LLC | National Labor Relations Board". www.nlrb.gov. Retrieved May 31, 2022.
- "United Workers of Seven Seas on Twitter: "Our employer, Seven Seas Entertainment (@gomanga), has hired the union-busting firm Ogletree Deakins."". Twitter. Retrieved May 31, 2022.
- Mateo, Alex (June 24, 2022). "Publisher Seven Seas Voluntarily Recognizes UW7S Workers Union". Anime News Network. Retrieved June 24, 2022.
- Age Ratings
- Mateo, Alex (December 8, 2021). "Seven Seas Licenses 7th Time Loop, Crossplay Love, SHWD Manga". Anime News Network. Archived from the original on December 9, 2021. Retrieved December 8, 2021.