Heaven Official's Blessing (Chinese: 天官赐福, pinyin: Tiān Guān Cì Fú) is a Chinese novel series written by Mo Xiang Tong Xiu (Chinese: 墨香铜臭). A donghua series adaptation was first released on Bilibili and Funimation on 31 October 2020 and received a positive review and recommendation by CBR. The novel was first published in 2017 on Jinjiang Literature City, a popular Chinese website for publishing and serializing online fiction. It consists of 244 chapters and an additional five stories in eight chapters that take place post-canon. The last novel number 6, was published on 7 March 2022. There also exists a manhua based on the novel, illustrated by STARember and published by Bilibili, with 89 chapters as of 1 March 2023. It has been collected into 2 published volumes as of 18 July 2022.
|Heaven Official's Blessing|
|Based on||Tian Guan Ci Fu by Mo Xiang Tong Xiu|
|Written by||Chunri Youling|
|Directed by||Li Haoling (李豪凌)|
|Country of origin||China|
|Original language||Mandarin Chinese|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||11 + Special|
|Executive producers||Zhang Shengyan (张圣晏)|
Luo Yanyan (骆艳艳)
|Producers||Liu Qi (刘綦)|
Pan Linlin (潘琳琳)
Wang Rong (王蓉)
|Animator||Haoliners Animation League|
|Original release||31 October 2020|
Eight hundred years ago, Xie Lian was the Crown Prince of the Xian Le kingdom. He was loved by his citizens and was considered the darling of the world. He ascended to the Heavens at a young age; however, due to unfortunate circumstances, was quickly banished back to the mortal realm. Years later, he ascends again–only to be banished again a few minutes after his ascension.
Now, eight hundred years later, Xie Lian ascends to the Heavens for the third time as the laughing stock among all three realms. On his first task as a god thrice ascended, he meets a mysterious ghost who rules the ghosts and terrifies the Heavens, yet, unbeknownst to Xie Lian, this ghost king has been paying attention to him for a very, very long time.
(English: "Ah! That Scrap-Collecting Heavenly Official is having an affair with the King of the Ghost Realm!")— Mo Xiang Tong Xiu, Heaven Official's Blessing epigraph
Though not chronologically, the novel follows the life of Xie Lian, a once human crown prince of the Kingdom of Xianle in the east who ascends to godhood at seventeen after dedicating himself to cultivation and martial training. During the inaugural years of his divinity, his kingdom experiences upheaval and war, due in part to drought and a terrifying new disease. Going against the edicts of both the heavenly realm and of fate, Xie Lian involves himself in the affairs of the mortals who have always loved and supported him, hoping to achieve peace and relieve suffering in his kingdom. Unfortunately, his appearance in the mortal world only amplifies the conflicts between his people, and their desperation leads to the dramatic and abrupt downfall of Xianle, as well as the downfall of Xie Lian. The people destroy his temples, statues, and shrines, abandoning him as their most respected religious figure and earning him the reputation of a God of Misfortune.
Much later in his immortal life, after being banished twice by the Emperor of the Heavenly Realm, Xie Lian again ascends to the heavens to work as a godly official. Now known as a peculiar, peripatetic scrap-collector with perennially bad luck, Xie Lian is ridiculed or ignored by most other heavenly officials. Nevertheless, he retains his good-hearted nature and only wishes to fulfill his duties as a god.
For Xie Lian's first assignment of his third ascension, he is tasked with solving the mystery of a number of brides who have disappeared during their wedding processions through Mount Yujun in the mortal world. During his investigation, he is unexpectedly greeted by a ghost whose form resembles that of a young man wearing maple-red robes and silver vambraces, with black boots and attached silver chains. Silver butterflies and a rain of blood also accompany the first appearance of the youthful ghost. He interacts with Xie Lian only to briefly guide him in his mission, by taking his hand and walking with him through Mount Yujun, simultaneously breaking an enchantment array on the mountain that was preventing Xie Lian from detecting the culprit of the disappearances. After his completion of the assignment, bemused by an encounter he describes as "oddly charming to the extreme," Xie Lian learns from heaven that he had encountered Hua Cheng, or Crimson Rain Sought Flower (血雨探花), one of four fearsome ghost kings known as the Four Great Calamities.
Heedless of warnings to stay away from Hua Cheng, Xie Lian continues to cross paths with the nonchalant and intelligent ghost king as he becomes increasingly enveloped in the affairs of the three realms of heaven, earth, and ghost. Their interactions gradually lead to the building of a close, mutually protective relationship. As he unravels his feelings for Hua Cheng, and as Hua Cheng establishes himself as a steady fixture in his life, Xie Lian is yet to realize just how long their pasts have been entwined.
The novels are being officially translated into English by Seven Seas Entertainment with eight volumes in total. The first was released on December 14, 2021 and volume 5 was released December 20, 2022.
Regarding her conception of the story, Mo Xiang Tong Xiu has said:
...In a broken and defeated temple with a soon-to-be forgotten god and a young devout follower was the first image that floated into my mind for this novel, and was also what gave me the impulse to write it. I'm the kind that would write up an entire book just for a scene.— Heaven Official's Blessing Book 2, Author's Notes
The donghua was released on Bilibili and Funimation in October 2020. The production of a second season was confirmed by Bilibili in January 2021. A special episode was released on February 16, 2021. Netflix also began streaming the series (including the special episode) as of April 9, 2021. A trailer for the upcoming second season was released on November 24th, 2021. 
The English dub premiered on November 12, 2021 on Funimation.
|No.||Title [a]||Original air date|
|1||"The Bride Prince"|
Transcription: "Tàizǐ xīnniáng" (Chinese: 太子新娘)
|October 31, 2020|
|After incurring a debt of 8.88 million merit credits, Xie Lian is tasked with heading to the mortal realm to deal with a ghost bridegroom kidnapping brides on Mount Yujun. Xie Lian sets a trap to catch the bridegroom in the act with the help of two middle heaven junior officials, Fu Yao and Nan Feng.|
|2||"Mountain-Locked Ming Guang"|
Transcription: "Shān suǒ míngguāng" (Chinese: 山锁明光)
|October 31, 2020|
|Xie Lian eventually comes upon a temple of Ming Guang on Mount Yujun. He finds the missing brides inside and comes to a startling conclusion.|
|3||"Confidant's Past Grudge"|
Transcription: "Jiù hèn hóngyán" (Chinese: 旧恨红颜)
|November 7, 2020|
|The ghost behind all the kidnappings is revealed and Xie Lian is caught between catching the perpetrator and keeping the villagers safe. However, capturing the ghost only brings up more questions than answers as a disease is found which should have died out centuries ago.|
|4||"Ghost King Hua Cheng"|
Transcription: "Guǐ wáng huāchéng" (Chinese: 鬼王花城)
|November 14, 2020|
|Xie Lian goes to the other gods to ask about all he saw on Mount Yujun. We learn of 4 ghost kings, in particular Hua Cheng who caused the demise of thirty-three heavenly officials. Xie Lian clears his debt and heads once more to the mortal realm with plans to open a temple and gain followers.|
|5||"Daily Life at Puqi Temple"|
Transcription: "Pú qí jìshì" (Chinese: 菩荠记事)
|November 21, 2020|
|Xie Lian meets a young man while travelling on ox-pulled cart. The two have a long discussion about gods and ghosts, before being interrupted by ghosts along the forest path. While Xie Lian attempts to sneak by, the ghosts confront him only to abruptly back down in fear. Once back at his temple, Xie Lian offers the young man a place to stay in his shrine.|
|6||"Lost In Banyue"|
Transcription: "Bànyuè mí zōng" (Chinese: 半月迷踪)
|November 28, 2020|
|A puppet disguised as a disease-ridden man appears at the shrine, panicked. The men realize he was not human and subdue him. After the former State Preceptor of Banyue was brought up, the two men along with Fu Yao and Nan Feng travel to Banyue. During their journey, they spotted 2 running women and got engulfed in a heavy sandstorm.|
|7||"Scorpion-Tailed Snake Shadow"|
Transcription: "Xiē wěi shé yǐng" (Chinese: 蝎尾蛇影)
|December 5, 2020|
|The group survive the sandstorm and enter a cave with some merchants and artifacts from Banyue. Among the artifacts is a tablet with details the life of a Lieutenant from the army which opposed Banyue. After a nearly-lethal run in with a scorpion-tailed snake leaving a merchant and Xie Lian injured, the group and the merchant's guide head to Banyue for an herbal antidote. Upon reaching Banyue, they see the two running women from the previous episode and hide, only to be spotted.|
|8||"Foreboding Wind in the Ancient Country"|
Transcription: "Fēng qǐ gǔguó" (Chinese: 风起古国)
|December 12, 2020|
|9||"Scourge of Evil Taoist"|
Transcription: "Yāo dào zhī huò" (Chinese: 妖道之祸)
|December 19, 2020|
|10||"Bygone Banyue Days"|
Transcription: "Bànyuè wǎngshì" (Chinese: 半月往事)
|December 26, 2020|
|11||"Sand-buried Rights and Wrongs"|
Transcription: "Shā mái gōngguò" (Chinese: 沙埋功过)
|January 2, 2021|
|12||"Special Episode"||February 14, 2021|
Main characters Edit
Xie Lian 谢怜 (The Crown Prince, God-Pleasing Crown Prince, Flower-Crowned Martial God, Scrap Immortal, God of Misfortune)
- Protagonist. A very unlucky god who collects scraps for a living.
Hua Cheng 花城 (Crimson Rain Sought Flower 血雨探花, San Lang 三郎)
- Main character and love interest. A ghost king known as the terror of the heavens. One of the Four Calamities.
Voiced by: Ma Zhengyang (Donghua), Jun Fukuyama (Japanese dub), Jeong Joo-won (Korean dub), James Cheek (English dub), Sakarach Amsom (Thai Dub)
Heavenly Court Edit
Jun Wu 君吾
- The Heavenly Emperor of the Upper Court. The most powerful martial god.
Ling Wen 灵文 (Ling Wen Zhen Jun, 灵文真君)
- A civil goddess who provides information on assignments through a spiritual communication array.
Shi Wudu 师无渡 (Lord Water Master, The Water Tyrant)
- The elemental master of water. Elder brother of Shi Qingxuan.
Shi Qingxuan 师青玄 (Lord Wind Master, Lady Wind Master)
Voiced by (female form): Qiu Qiu (Donghua), Ayako Kawasumi (Japanese dub), Anjali Kunapaneni (English dub) Voiced by (male form): Lu Zhixing (Donghua)
- The elemental master of the wind. The younger sibling of Shi Wudu.
Ming Yi 明仪 (Lord Earth Master, Lady Earth Master)
- The elemental master of the earth.
Yushi Huang 雨师篁 (Rain Master)
- The elemental master of rain.
Feng Xin 风信 (General Nan Yang 南阳真君)
- The martial god of the southeast. Was in service of Xie Lian when he was still the prince of Xianle.
Voiced by: Wen Sen (Donghua)
Nan Feng 南风
- A Middle Court junior official from the palace of General Nan Yang.
Voiced by: Wen Sen (Donghua), Makoto Furukawa (Japanese dub), Choi Seung-hun (Korean dub), Phil Song (English dub)
Mu Qing 慕情 (General Xuan Zhen 玄真将军)
- The martial god of the southwest. Was also in service of Xie Lian when he was still the prince of Xianle.
Voiced by: Hu Liangwei (Donghua)
Fu Yao 扶摇
- A Middle Court junior official from the palace of General Xuan Zhen.
Pei Ming 裴茗 (General Ming Guang, General Pei)
- The martial god of the north.
Voiced by: Tu Xiongfei (Donghua), Junichi Suwabe (Japanese dub), Aaron Campbell (English dub)
Pei Su 裴宿 (Little Pei, A-Zhao)
- A martial god and an indirect descendant of Pei Ming.
Voiced by: Ling Fei (Donghua), Toshiki Masuda (Japanese dub), Aaron Campbell (English dub)
Quan Yizhen 权一真 (Qi Ying)
- The martial god of the West.
Lang Qianqiu 郎千秋 (Prince Tai Hua)
- The current martial god of the east.
Bai Wuxiang 白无相 (White-Clothed Calamity 白衣祸世, White No-Face)
- The main antagonist of the story. The eldest and the most powerful of the Four Great Calamities. He is the one responsible for the fall of the kingdom of Xianle.
He Xuan 贺玄 (Ship-Sinking Black Water 黑水沉舟)
- One of the Four Calamities. A powerful water demon.
Qi Rong 戚容 (Night-Touring Green Lantern 青灯夜游, Green Ghost)
- One of the Four Calamities. Ranks as a Savage, one step behind the other three Calamities ranking of Supreme.
- A Savage-ranked female ghost. Former State Preceptor of Banyue Kingdom.
Xuan Ji 宣姬
- A Wrath-ranked female ghost. A former lover of Pei Ming before he ascended to the heavens.
Spiritual devices Edit
- Xie Lian's spiritual device. A sentient strip of white silk.
- Hua Cheng's spiritual device. A sentient scimitar.
- All English titles are taken from Funimation.
- "Funimation, bilibili Partner to Stream Chinese Animated Series Heaven Official's Blessing". Anime News Network. Retrieved 2020-12-07.
- Leung, Hilary (November 3, 2020). "Why You Should Watch Heaven Official's Blessing, Funimation's First Chinese Animation". CBR. Archived from the original on April 18, 2022. Retrieved December 26, 2020.
Updated September 2, 2021
- "晋江文学城-女性网络文学原创基地". Jinjiang Literature City. Retrieved 2021-05-15.
- "《天官赐福》墨香铜臭_同名漫画已上线_【原创小说|纯爱小说】_晋江文学城". Jinjiang Literature City. Archived from the original on 2021-10-23. Retrieved 2021-05-15.
- "天官賜福 六（完）" [Heaven Official's Blessing Six (End)]. Douban - Books (in Chinese). Retrieved 13 October 2022.
- "漫画全集在线观看 - 哔哩哔哩漫画正版漫画平台". manga.bilibili.com. Retrieved 2021-05-15.
- "Heaven Official's Blessing (2) (Chinese Edition)". Amazon (in Spanish). Retrieved 13 October 2022.
- "[消息]《天官赐福》首播获豆瓣9.2开分 精良质感引网友催加更_谢怜". www.sohu.com. Retrieved 2020-11-10.
- "《天官赐福》墨香铜臭_同名漫画已上线 ^第8章^ 最新更新:2017-06-24 01:45:09 晋江文学城". Jinjiang Literature City. Archived from the original on 2017-09-06. Retrieved 2021-05-15.
- "Heaven Official's Blessing". Seven Seas Danmei. Retrieved 13 October 2022.
- "Heaven Official's Blessing (Tian Guan Ci Fu) to be Simulcast on Funimation!". The Geekiary. 29 October 2020. Retrieved 31 December 2020.
- "Tian Guan Ci Fu / Heaven Official's Blessing Confirmed for Season 2!". The Geekiary. 2 January 2021.
- "'Heaven Official's Blessing' Will Have a Special Episode February 16th!". The Geekiary. 22 November 2020. Retrieved 30 December 2020.
- "Tian Guan Ci Fu / Heaven Official's Blessing May Be Coming To Netflix". The Geekiary. 25 March 2021. Retrieved 26 March 2021.
- 【欢迎加入会员】《#天官赐福 第二季》预告PV发布：血雨探花现鬼市 | BGM：#怜城辞, retrieved 2023-04-17
- "Heaven Official's Blessing to Be First Donghua Dubbed By Funimation, Cast and Crew Revealed". Funimation. November 11, 2021. Retrieved November 22, 2021.
- "Heaven Official's Blessing". Funimation.
- "Tian Guan Ci Fu". BiliBili. Retrieved 31 December 2020.
- "Tian Guan Ci Fu Live-Action Drama to Begin Production 2021". The Geekiary. 9 December 2020. Retrieved 14 May 2021.
- @guangmeow (9 December 2020). "tgcf live action director is chen jialin (u know. from cql) costume designer is fang sizhe (did work for 天盛长歌), art…" (Tweet) – via Twitter.