Miss Earth 2018, the 18th edition of the Miss Earth pageant, with the theme "Goddesses of the Earth", was held on November 3, 2018, at the Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay, Metro Manila, Philippines. Karen Ibasco of the Philippines crowned her successor Nguyễn Phương Khánh of Vietnam at the end of the event. This is the first time Vietnam won the Miss Earth pageant, one of the Big Four international beauty pageants. On October 20, 2018, Miss Earth announced in their Facebook page that the winners of Eco-Video and Eco-Media Award winners automatically fast-tracked to the Top 18; the two delegates who earned two spots through the preliminary panel of judges and by the votes of social media.
|Miss Earth 2018|
|Date||November 3, 2018|
|Venue||Mall of Asia Arena, Pasay, Metro Manila, Philippines|
and SKTV1 from Vietnam (Live on the final) Live Stream:
|Winner||Nguyễn Phương Khánh |
In August 2019, the Miss Earth 2018 winners and the Armed Forces of the Philippines conducted an outreach program for the welfare of the senior citizens and persons with disabilities admitted at the Veterans Memorial Medical Center in the Philippines.
|Miss Earth 2018|
|Miss Earth – Air 2018||
|Miss Earth – Water 2018|
|Miss Earth – Fire 2018||
(§) – Placed in the Top 18 are two spots chosen by the People and Judges for the Best Eco-Video (1) and Best Eco-Social Media (1) Awardees
On October 20, 2018, Miss Earth announced in their Facebook page that they will have this year's Eco-Video and Eco-Media Award winners, an automatic fast-tracks to the Top 18. Two candidates will earn two spots through the preliminary panel of judges and by the votes of social media.
Pre Pageant Activities
|Trinidad & Tobago||0||1||0||1|
|13||Bosnia & Herzegovina||0||0||2||2|
|National Costume Competition|
|Asia & Oceania||Nguyễn Phương Khánh
|North & Central America||Melissa Flores
|South America||Xamiera Kippins
|Africa||Alma Nancy Sesay
|Western Europe||Carolina Jane
|Eastern Europe||Nina Jovanović
|Evening Gown Competition|
|AIR Group||Danijela Burjan
|WATER Group||Nguyễn Phương Khánh
|Guo Yameng '|
|FIRE Group||Nirada Chetsadapriyakun
|AIR Group||Telma Madeira
|WATER Group||Melissa Flores
|Nguyễn Phương Khánh
Bosnia and Herzegovina
|FIRE Group||Diana Silva
|Resort Wear Competition|
|AIR Group||Celeste Cortesi
|WATER Group||Melissa Flores
|Christie van Schalkwyk
Bosnia and Herzegovina
|FIRE Group||Diana Silva
|Margaretha de Jong
|AIR Group||Danijela Burjan
Trinidad and Tobago
|WATER Group||Melanie Mader
|FIRE Group||Daria Kartyshova
Local Special Awards
|Miss Earth Goes Plastic Free
|Darling of the Press||
|Goddess of Albay
|Best in Terno
|Miss Brisa Marina||
|Miss CBNC Choice Award|
|Miss Coral Bay Nickel Corporation Choice Award|
|Miss Earth JACMI||
|Miss Ever Bilena|
|Miss People's Choice City Ambassadress|
|Miss Psalmstre New Placenta|
|Miss Pontefino Estates||
|Miss Pontefino Hotel||
|Miss Puerto Princesa Agutaya Club|
|Miss Puerto Princesa Centro Hotel|
|Miss Robig Builders|
|Miss Ruj Beauty Care & Spa|
|Miss Sharp Award||
|Miss Sponsor of DV Boer Farm Ambassadress|
|Miss Sponsor of Facial Cleanse Ambassadress||
|Miss Sponsor of Forever Living Ambassadress||
|Miss Sponsor of Infinity Closet||
|Miss Wellness Lumiere Skin & Spa|
|Miss Visit Laus Auto Group|
|Miss Junca Beauty 2018|
87 contestants competed for the title.
|Bahamas||Samia Lauryn McClain||18||Nassau||WATER|
|Belize||Renae Martinez||21||Belize City||AIR|
|Bosnia & Herzegovina||Nađa Pepić||18||Banja Luka||WATER|
|Cambodia||Keo Senglyhour||20||Phnom Penh||WATER|
|Chile||Antonia Figueroa||23||La Serena||AIR|
|Costa Rica||Arianna Medrano||19||Puntarenas||AIR|
|Cyprus||María Armenáki||18||Ayia Napa||WATER|
|Czech Republic||Tereza Křivánková||24||Prague||FIRE|
|Dominican Republic||Gabriela Franceschini||26||Santo Domingo||FIRE|
|India||Nishi Bhardwaj||23||New Delhi||AIR|
|Indonesia||Ratu Vashti Annisa||23||Tangerang||WATER|
|Liberia||Joicet Jartu Foday||23||Monrovia||WATER|
|Mauritius||Kirty Sujeewon||26||Fond du Sac||AIR|
|Mexico||Melissa Flores||20||Venustiano Carranza||WATER|
|Montenegro||Katarina Šećković||24||Bijelo Polje||FIRE|
|Myanmar||Chaw Yupar Thet||24||Yangon||AIR|
|Netherlands||Margaretha de Jong||21||Tytsjerksteradiel||FIRE|
|New Zealand||Jzayla Hughey||22||Auckland||WATER|
|Northern Ireland||Christie van Schalkwyk||24||Carrickfergus||WATER|
|Panama||Diana Lemos||20||La Chorrera||FIRE|
|Puerto Rico||Krystal Xamairy||18||Arecibo||WATER|
|Réunion Island||Alexia Aupin||18||Saint-Joseph||WATER|
|Russia||Daria Kartyshova||24||Nizhny Novgorod||FIRE|
|Sierra Leone||Alma Nancy Sesa||19||Port Loko||FIRE|
|Singapore||Kara Dong||19||Singapore City||FIRE|
|South Africa||Margo Fargo||26||Heidedal||FIRE|
|Sri Lanka||Nathasha Fernando||21||Matara||WATER|
|Thailand||Nirada Chetsadapriyakun||26||Amnat Charoen||FIRE|
|Tonga||Maria Otulao Aholelei||21||Nukuʻalofa||WATER|
|Trinidad & Tobago||Afeya Jeffrey||26||Point Fortin||AIR|
|United States||Yashvi Aware||25||College Park||FIRE|
|Vietnam||Nguyễn Phương Khánh||23||Ben Tre||WATER|
- Belgium – Faye Bulcke was appointed Miss Earth Belgium 2018 by Ken Stevens (national director of Miss Earth Belgium) as a replacement to Mayke Aendekerk, who cannot compete to the pageant due to personal reasons. Bulcke was crowned 2nd runner-up at the Miss Exclusive 2016 pageant. The winner of Miss Exclusive pageant usually competes at Miss Earth.
- Bolivia – Karen Jenifer Quispe Nava was appointed Miss Earth Bolivia 2018 by Promociones Gloria as a replacement to Ilssen Olmos Ferrufino, who was reportedly rejected by Miss Earth Organization for not meeting the age requirements of the pageant. Quispe was crowned Virreina Miss World Bolivia 2018. Olmos will compete in Miss Supranational 2018 pageant instead.
- India – Nishi Bharadwaj has been appointed as Miss Earth India 2018 by Glamanand Supermodel India Organization as a replacement to the original title holder of Miss Earth India 2018 Devika Vaid. The original winner suffered with an injury making her unable to compete at the forthcoming Miss Earth 2018.
- South Africa – Margo Fargo was appointed as Miss Earth South Africa 2018. The appointment was due to conflict of schedules with Miss Earth South Africa 2018 pageant and the Miss Earth 2018 pageant arrival. Fargo previously worked as Miss Earth South Africa Ambassador in 2014 and recently competed for Miss South Africa 2018, where she placed in the Top 12.
- Thailand – Nirada Chetsadapriyakun was appointed as Miss Earth Thailand 2018 by Pawina Bumrungrot, National Director of ERM Marketing Co., Ltd., Thailand. Nirada was the 2nd Runner-up of Miss All Nations Thailand 2017.
- During the contest
- Canada – Jaime Vandenberg participated in some the preliminary activities in Manila but she decided to withdraw before the coronation night after accusing one of the Filipino food sponsors of sexual harassment during a dinner at the Manila Yacht Club.
- Lebanon – Salwa Akar was dethroned the title "Miss Earth Lebanon 2018" by the Miss Lebanon Organization after her photo with Miss Israel appeared in the media. She returned to her hometown afterwards.
- Before the contest
Lebanon and Israel conflict
Miss Lebanon 2018 Salwa Akar received international press attention when she was stripped of her title in Lebanon, while participating in Miss Earth 2018 pageant after she posted a photo in Facebook with her arm around Miss Israel's Dana Zreik and making peace signs. Lebanon and Israel are in a long-standing state of war. As a result, she was unable to continue her participation in the Miss Earth pageant. In a press release, Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s spokesman Ofir Gendelman reacted on Akar’s dethronement and condemned the "Lebanese apartheid."
Sexual harassment allegations
On November 7–8, 2018, Jaime Vandenberg of Canada, Abbey-Anne Gyles-Brown of England, and Emma Sheedy of Guam accused one of the Filipino food sponsors of sexual harassment during a dinner at the Manila Yacht Club, claiming that he asked them for sexual favors in exchange for the crown or an advancement in the pageant. Sheedy had identified the sponsor as Amado S. Cruz, who is president of a car rental company and CEO of a construction company. The Manila Yacht Club officials clarified that Cruz is not a member and could have just been sponsored by another member. The pageant officials indicated that Cruz was not one of the major sponsors of the pageant and just sponsored for an evening meal.
Vandenberg withdrew from competition after Cruz obtained her mobile number without her consent and kept calling her for her hotel and room number. The pageant officials stated that they did not know how Cruz obtained her number, and they only have the delegates' international contact numbers and the pageant's mode of communication was through messenger and group chat only.
Vandenberg also claimed the organizers confiscated her passport on the first day of competition. The pageant organizers denied Vandenberg's claim, stating that delegates are free to keep their passports by signing a waiver and they only keep the passports for safekeeping since there had been many occasions of misplacing or losing their passports and to facilitate check-in for their domestic flights and hotel accommodations.
Vandenberg also said that seven candidates left the dinner and accompanied by the team managers to sit on the bus after feeling uncomfortable with the sponsor. All three candidates voiced their complaints to organizer Lorraine Schuck, but despite Schuck's assurance that Cruz would not be allowed near the candidates, he still appeared in the pageant. Schuck then stated that she does not have any authority in public places, such as the hotels where the delegates stayed and the Mall of Asia Arena where the grand final of the pageant took place since the pageant was a public event. Furthermore, Schuck said that all the delegates had police escorts for their safety. Schuck subsequently announced that Cruz is 'forever banned' from Miss Earth.
On November 9, 2018, Cruz denied the accusations of the three candidates. In addition, Monica Aguilar of Cuba claimed there were no instances of sexual harassment during the competition. Instead, she stated that the sponsor asked only if they wished to extend their visas to proceed to Boracay after the pageant, and she further stated that "no one was promised to get us further in the competition through 'sexual favors."
On November 10, 2018, Schuck's company Carousel Productions Inc. urged other candidates to come forward if they experienced any incidents of sexual harassment during the pageant. The organizer also expressed support to the delegates in case they decide to take any further action to the alleged perpetrator.
Contestants who previously competed or will be competing at other international beauty pageants:
- 2021: Colombia: Valeria Ayos (Top 5)
- 2021: Chile: Antonia Figueroa (Unplaced)
- 2021: Nigeria: Maristella Okpala (Unplaced), Best National Costume
- 2022: Philippines: Celeste Cortesi (Unplaced)
- 2022: Portugal: Telma Madeira (Top 16)
- 2023: Mexico: Melissa Flores
- 2023: Venezuela: Diana Silva
- 2017: Germany: Maren Tschinkel (Unplaced)
- Reinado Internacional Del Café
- Miss Grand Mar Universe
- 2016: Malta: Yanika Azzopardi (Top 5)
- Miss City Tourism World
- Miss Black San International Queen
- Miss Tourism America
|Facebook Live||Livestream on the official Facebook page of Miss Earth Organization.|
|FOX Life||Live broadcast in Australia, China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam.|
|GMA Network||Livestream on the official YouTube Channel of GMA Network and delayed telecast (November 4, 2018) in the Philippines.|
|Globovisión||Broadcast in Venezuela and through DirecTV cable channels in Argentina, Aruba, Barbados, Chile, Colombia, Curaçao, Ecuador, Peru, Puerto Rico, Trinidad and Tobago, and Uruguay.|
|Hong Kong Cable Television||Broadcast in Hong Kong.|
|MVS Comunicaciones||Broadcast in Central and South America, Canada, the Caribbean, Mexico, and the United States.|
|Telecaribe||Broadcast in Colombia.|
|Telemicro||Broadcast in Dominican Republic.|
|SCCN Channel 17||Broadcast in Suriname.|
|ZAP TV||Broadcast in Angola and Mozambique.|
- BusinessMirror; BusinessMirror (2019-10-26). "Miss Earth beauties join AFP outreach program for seniors". BusinessMirror. Retrieved 2021-01-04.
|last1=has generic name (help)
- "FULL LIST: Winners, Miss Earth 2018". Rappler. Retrieved September 22, 2023.
- "Miss Earth 2018 Delegates". www.missearth.tv.
- "Melanie Mader crowned Miss Earth Austria 2018". beautypageants.indiatimes. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
- "Jasmine Yeo Suk Peng crowned Miss Earth Malaysia 2018". beautypageants.indiatimes. Retrieved 1 June 2018.
- "O româncă stabilită în Spania va reprezenta Romania la Miss Earth 2018 din Filipine". iasifun.ziaruldeiasi.ro (in Romanian).
- Nsabimana, Eddie (October 1, 2018). "Umutoniwase to represent Rwanda at Miss Earth 2018". The New Times. Retrieved 5 October 2018.
- "Danijela Burjan iz Zreč je nova Miss Earth Slovenije 2018". Novice.si (in Slovenian). Retrieved 16 September 2018.
- "Miss Earth Official Delegates". Miss Earth. Retrieved 18 September 2018.
- "Diana Silva es la nueva Miss Earth Venezuela". primicia.com.ve (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 7 September 2018. Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- Greene, Leonard (17 October 2018). "Lebanese pageant winner stripped of title for posing with Israeli contestant". New York Daily News. Retrieved 29 October 2018.
- Spiro, Amy (17 October 2018). "Miss Earth Lebanon stripped of title after photo with Israeli". The Jerusalem Post. Retrieved 29 October 2018.
- Staff Writer (19 October 2018). "Lebanon's Miss Earth 2018 bet stripped of title after photo with Miss Israel". Rappler. Retrieved 29 October 2018.
- Magsino, Dona (21 October 2018). "Miss Earth Lebanon loses crown over photo with Miss Earth Israel". GMA News TV. Retrieved 29 October 2018.
- Staff Writer (20 October 2018). "Miss Earth Lebanon 2018 dethroned over photo with Israeli fellow". CNN. Retrieved 29 October 2018.
- Afinidad-Bernardo, Deni Rose M. (18 October 2018). "The Philippine Star". Retrieved 29 October 2018.
- Layug, Margaret Claire (November 8, 2018). "'I WAS DISGUSTED': Miss Earth Canada says she was sexually harassed during pageant". GMA Network. Retrieved November 8, 2018.
- Adel, Rosette (November 8, 2018). "#MeToo: Miss Earth 2018 bets accuse Filipino sponsor of harassment; organizer denies claims". The Philippine Star. Retrieved November 8, 2018.
- Adina, Armin P. (November 10, 2018). "More Miss Earth bets urged to report sexual harassment". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved November 11, 2018.
- Staff Writer (9 November 2018). "Miss Earth 2018 candidates accuse pageant sponsor of sexual harassment, lack of action from PH organizers". CNN Philippines. Archived from the original on 2019-04-13. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
- Bigtas, Jannielyn Ann (8 November 2018). "Miss Earth organizer speaks up about alleged sexual harassment incidents". GMA Network (company). Retrieved 12 November 2018.
- Pagulong, Charmie Joy (10 November 2018). "Safety of candidates is Miss Earth priority". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
- Dancel, Raul (8 November 2018). "Miss Earth contestants cry sexual harassment at Philippine pageant". The Straits Times. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
- "2 more Miss Earth 2018 bets allege sexual harassment vs sponsor". ABS-CBN Corporation. November 8, 2018. Retrieved November 8, 2018.
- Arias, Jacqueline (November 8, 2018). "Three beauty queens were allegedly harassed during Miss Earth International". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved November 8, 2018.
- "Miss Earth sponsor 'forever banned' amid sexual harassment allegations". ABS-CBN Corporation. November 8, 2018. Retrieved November 9, 2018.
- "Amid viral photos, Miss Earth sponsor accused of sexual harassment speaks up". ABS-CBN Corporation. November 9, 2018. Retrieved November 10, 2018.
- Adel, Rosette (8 November 2018). "#MeToo: Miss Earth 2018 bets accuse Filipino sponsor of harassment; organizer denies claims". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
- Shippen, Monique. "Miss International Australia 2019". Instagram. Retrieved October 23, 2021.
- Silva, Diana. "Miss City Tourism World 2017". Instagram. Diana Silva. Retrieved October 23, 2021.
- Kippins, Xamiera. "Xamiera Kippins, Miss Black San International Queen 2017". Instagram. Retrieved October 23, 2021.
- "Miss Tourism America 2014". Archived from the original on 2021-12-26.