Logo of the Miss International Pageant.
|Motto||Love, Peace and Beauty|
|Affiliations||Miss Paris Group |
Miss International (Miss International Beauty or The International Beauty Pageant) is a Tokyo-based international beauty pageant organized by The International Culture Association. The pageant was first held in 1960. Along with Miss World, Miss Universe, and Miss Earth, this pageant is one of the Big Four international beauty pageants- the most coveted beauty titles when it comes to international pageant competitions.
The pageant was created in Long Beach, California, USA in 1960 after the departure of the Miss Universe pageant to Miami Beach. Hosted in Long Beach until 1967, the pageant moved to Japan from 1968–1970, being hosted each year in the same city as the Expo '70. For 1971, it was held in Long Beach again, but since that time it has been held annually in Japan until 2003. Since 2004, it is held in China or Japan.
The pageant is also called "Miss International Beauty". Contestants are expected to serve as "Ambassadors of Peace and Beauty", demonstrating tenderness, benevolence, friendship, beauty, intelligence, ability to take action, and, most importantly, a great international sensibility. The ultimate goal of the Miss International beauty pageant is to promote world peace, goodwill, and understanding.
In 2013 edition, the winner of Miss International 2012 Ikumi Yoshimatsu of Japan did not crown her successor; instead Miss International 2008 Alejandra Andreu took over in passing on the crown to Bea Santiago of the Philippines. The organization has been criticized for not standing up for allegedly asking Ikumi Yoshimatsu, Miss International 2012, to skip the succession ceremony and "play sick and shut up" in order to avoid a scandal with a Japanese production company whose president allegedly was harassing Yoshimatsu.
For full list and details List of Miss International titleholders.
|Year||Country||Miss International||National Title||City||Country||Number of Entrants|
|2016||Philippines||Kylie Verzosa||Binibining Pilipinas||69|
|2015||Venezuela||Edymar Martínez||Miss Venezuela||70|
|2014||Puerto Rico||Valerie Hernandez||Miss Puerto Rico||73|
|2013||Philippines||Bea Santiago||Binibining Pilipinas||67|
Miss International 1996
Fernanda Alves, Portugal
- "MOFA examines beauty contest's 'belittling'". The China Post. 21 October 2008. Retrieved 16 November 2010.
- Adelstein, Jake. "First lady scrutinizes blackballing of beauty queen". The Japan Times. Retrieved 26 October 2015.
- "Beauty Pageants: Are The Crowns On the Right Heads? - Nigerian News from Leadership News". Nigerian News from Leadership News. Retrieved 3 January 2016.
- "6th place winner low-rates Miami". The Miami News. 13 August 1960. Retrieved 16 November 2010.
- "May settle dispute over beauty pageant". Lewiston Evening Journal. 22 August 1959. Retrieved 16 November 2010.
- "Pageant shifted". Spokane Daily Chronicle. 23 April 1968. Retrieved 16 November 2010.
- History of Miss International. Miss-international.org. Retrieved on 2010-10-21.
- "Miss Germany Tops Beauties". The Hartford Courant. 14 August 1965. Retrieved 16 November 2010.
Ingrid Fiffi Finger, was named Miss International Beauty Friday.
- 株式会社スポーツニッポン新聞社マルチメディア事業本部. "ミス・インターナショナル代表７２人 東京タワーで"頂点"祈願". Retrieved 3 January 2016.
- "Miss International Trivia: Surprising Facts And Controversies". Yibada. 14 October 2015. Retrieved 7 April 2016.