The Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of China is a cabinet-level department under the State Council responsible for basic education, vocational education, higher education, and other educational affairs across the country. The Ministry of Education also acts as a funder for most of the national public universities and colleges in China. The ministry also accredits tertiary institutions, curriculum, and school teachers. It is headquartered in Xicheng, Beijing.
Zhōnghuá Rénmín Gònghéguó Jiàoyùbù
|Annual budget||CN¥5.3 trillion (2020)|
|Parent agency||State Council|
The Ministry of Education was established in 1949 as the Ministry of Education of the Central People's Government, and was renamed the State Education Commission of the People's Republic of China from 1985 to 1998. Its current title was assigned during the restructuring of the State Council in 1998.
The Ministry of Education was one of the first Government Administration Council departments created when the People's Republic of China was founded in October 1949. The work of the ministry was overseen by the Culture and Education Commission that was created at the same time. On October 19, writer and poet Guo Moruo was made the director of the commission, and linguist Ma Xulun was made the first education minister of the People's Republic of China.
List of Education MinistersEdit
|No.||Name||Took office||Left office|
|Education Minister of the Central People's Government|
|1||Ma Xulun||October 1949||November 1952|
|2||Zhang Xiruo||November 1952||February 1958|
|3||Yang Xiufeng||February 1958||February 1964|
|4||Liu Jiping||February 1964||October 1964|
|5||He Wei||October 1964||June 1966|
|Vacant during the Cultural Revolution|
|6||Zhou Rongxin||January 1975||April 1976|
|7||Liu Xiyao||January 1977||February 1979|
|8||Jiang Nanxiang||February 1979||May 1982|
|9||He Dongchang||May 1982||June 1985|
|Chairman of State Education Commission|
|10||Li Peng||June 1985||April 1988|
|11||Li Tieying||April 1988||March 1993|
|12||Zhu Kaixuan||March 1993||March 1998|
|13||Chen Zhili||March 1998||March 2003|
|14||Zhou Ji||March 2003||November 2009|
|15||Yuan Guiren||November 2009||July 2016|
|16||Chen Baosheng||July 2016||August 2021|
|17||Huai Jinpeng||August 2021||Incumbent|
- "China spends over 5.3 trillion yuan on education in 2020_china.org.cn".
- "教育部主要职责 - 中华人民共和国教育部政府门户网站". Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of China. Retrieved May 29, 2022.
- "教育部直属高等学校 - 中华人民共和国教育部政府门户网站". Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of China. Retrieved May 29, 2022.
- English home page Archived January 3, 2016, at the Wayback Machine. Ministry of Education (China). Retrieved on December 29, 2015. "Address: No.37 Damucang Hutong, Xidan, Beijing, P.R.C " - Chinese address Archived May 7, 2015, at the Wayback Machine: "地址：北京市西单大木仓胡同37号 邮编：100816" - As of May 21, 2022 the address is the same
- Yang, Ming; Ni, Hao (2018). Educational Governance in China. Singapore: Springer.