Jilin University (JLU; simplified Chinese: 吉林大学; traditional Chinese: 吉林大學; pinyin: Jílín Dàxué; often abbreviated JLU or 吉大) located in Changchun, founded in 1946, is a leading national research university under the direct jurisdiction of China's Ministry of Education. It is a Chinese Ministry of Education Class A Double First Class University. It is strongly supported by state key projects such as Project 985, Project 211 and Project 2011. Jilin University is consistently ranked as one of the most prestigious universities in China, and has research projects in automobile engineering, chemistry, computer science, electrical engineering and biology be identified as internationally renowned. In 2017, the university is supported to achieve "world-class" academic status under the Double First Class University Plan by China. JLU's alumni include the Vice Premier of the People's Republic of China Liu Yandong, and 2010 Nobel Peace Prize winner Liu Xiaobo.
|President||Li Yuanyuan (李元元)|
|Location||Changchun, Jilin, China|
|Campus||1,633 acres/6.61 km2|
Founded in 1946 as the Northeast College of Administration in Harbin, Heilongjiang, Jilin University merged with many universities and colleges and changed its name many times. In May 1948, the Northeast Administration College merged with the Harbin University and was renamed Northeast Academy of Science. In November 1948, the Northeast Academy of Science moved to Shenyang, Liaoning and restored the name of Northeast Administration College. In 1950, it was renamed to the Northeast People's University. After the Korean War broke out, the Northeast People's University evacuated to Changchun, Jilin. In 1958, it was renamed Jilin University.
In 2000, the Jilin University of Technology, the Norman Bethune University of Medical Sciences, the former Changchun University of Science and Technology and the Changchun Institute of Posts and Telecommunications merged with JLU. On August 29, 2004, the University of Military Logistics became another campus of JLU. The Zhuhai campus was established in 2003.
The university has seven campuses in six districts that are home to 43 colleges covering 13 academic disciplines, including philosophy, economics, law, literature, education, history, science, engineering, agriculture, medicine, management, military science and art. The university has 5 state key laboratories, 1 national engineering laboratory, 5 national-local joint laboratories, 1 national engineering and technology research center, 6 humanities and social science key research bases of the Ministry of Education, 11 key laboratories of the Ministry of Education and 24 key laboratories of other ministries.
It is a comprehensive and national key university. JLU offers a variety of degree programs. It has 129 undergraduate programs, 304 Master's degree programs, 244 doctoral degree programs, and 42 centers for post-doctoral studies, 47 first-class university and discipline construction projects. There are 69,587 full-time students, with 24,391 doctoral and postgraduate students, 43,646 undergraduate and college student, over 2,000 overseas students and 193,883 students receiving adult education.
There are 6,633 faculty members in total, among which there are 2,016 professors and 1,213 doctoral advisors. There are 28 members of Chinese Academy of Sciences or Chinese Academy of Engineering (including 18 adjunct members), 7 senior professors of philosophical and social sciences, 20 members of assessment group of the Academic Degrees Committee of the State Council, 34 involved in the “Thousand Talents Program (China)” and 7 in “Ten Thousand Talents Program”, 9 national-level outstanding teachers, 5 chief experts in research and construction projects of the Marxism theory in the central government, 5 chief scientists in the national “Program 973”, 13 young and middle-aged experts with prominent contribution, 35 selected in the “Changjiang Scholars Program”, 32 winners of the “National Outstanding Youth Fund”, 16 winners of “National Excellent Youth Fund” and 65 selected in “Changbai Mountain Scholars” in Jilin Province.
There are more than 50 multimedia and language learning audiovisual classrooms. Special attention has been paid to the construction of 20 basic science laboratories.
The university library claims a collection of 5.26 million books and is designated as the library of United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) and World Bank. It serves as the Comprehensive Information Center of Liberal Arts of the Education Ministry, the only Foreign Scientific Text Book Center in Northeast China, and the National Humanities and Social Science Higher Education Books Import Center. It is one of the seven centers of China Academic Library and Information System (CALIS) Center in Northeast China.
Several campuses have gymnasiums, stadiums, and arenas for basketball, volleyball, table tennis and artistic gymnastics. The Nanling Campus Stadium, which has a grass soccer field surrounded by standard synthetic racetracks, has 10,000 seats. There are tennis and basketball courts throughout the campus.
Jilin University has established ties with more than 130 universities, colleges, and research institutes in 40 countries/districts. Over 1,200 foreign students currently attend the university.
- Du Qinglin - politician, vice chairman of Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference, Head of the United Front Work Department of the Central Committee.
- Hu Huaibang - chairman of China Development Bank.
- Li Congjun -former President of China's Xinhua News Agency.
- Liu Qibao - head of the Propaganda Department of the Central Committee.
- Liu Xiaobo - 2010 Nobel Peace Prize winner
- Liu Yandong - Vice Premier of the People's Republic of China
- Lü Fuyuan - first minister of the Ministry of Commerce of the People's Republic of China.
- Wang Gang (politician) -Director of the General Office of the Communist Party of China
- Wang Gongquan - liberal activist, main leader and financial backer of the New Citizens' Movement
- Wang Yongqing - Secretary-General of the Central Political and Legal Affairs Commission
- Wang Jiarui - Vice Chairman of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference, director of the International Liaison Department of the Communist Party of China from 2003 to 2015.
- Xu Shaoshi - former Chairman of the National Development and Reform Commission of the People's Republic of China, party chief of Minister of Land and Resources
- Xu Xianming - China's leading authority on human rights law
- Yin Weimin - Minister of Human Resources and Social Security and a deputy head of the Organization Department of the Communist Party of China.
- Zhang Jun (politician) - Chinese politician and former judge, serving currently as the Deputy Secretary of the Central Commission for Discipline Inspection the country's top anti-corruption body, and the Minister of Justice. He formerly served as Vice Minister of the Ministry of Justice of the People's Republic of China and Vice President of the Supreme People's Court.
- Andrey Baykov - Russian international relations scholar, Vice-Rector of Moscow State University of International Relations.
- Barry Buzan - Emeritus Professor at the London School of Economics, fellow of the British Academy
- Yury Gogotsi - leading Ukrainian scientist in the field of material chemistry, professor at Drexel University, founder and director of the A.J. Drexel Nanotechnology Institute
- Chen Jia'er - nuclear physicist, an accelerator physicist and an academician of the Chinese Academy of Sciences.
- Han Dayuan - President of the Chinese Constitutional Law Society in Renmin University of China
- Huai Jinpeng - computer scientist, party secretary of the China Association for Science and Technology
- Loide Kasingo - member of the South West Africa People's Organization and National Assembly of Namibia, Deputy Speaker of Parliament.
- Kai Li - professor at the department of Computer Science in Princeton University
- Li Siguang - founder of China's geomechanics, first present of former Changchun Institute of Geology (now as College of Earth Sciences, Jilin University).
- Lawrence Lau - Hong Kong economist and the former Vice-Chancellor of the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- Long Yifei - Associate Dean of Renmin University of China Law School
- Alan MacDiarmid - winner of Nobel Prize in Chemistry.
- Wilma Olson - professor at the BioMaPS institute for Quantitative Biology at Rutgers University., visiting professor at the Polymer Chemistry Department of the Jilin University.
- Helmut Ringsdorf - polymer Chemist, known for being the first to propose covalently bonding drugs to water-soluble polymers.
- Steve Smith (academic) - international relations theorist, Vice Chancellor of the University of Exeter and Professor of International Studies.
- Weiguo Sun - president of Xihua University
- Au-Chin Tang - or Tang Aoqing, professor of theoretical chemistry, quantum chemistry, president of Jilin University, member of International Academy of Quantum Molecular Science, IAQMS, member of Chinese Academy of Science
- Wang Xianghao - mathematician who introduced the Grunwald–Wang theorem, correcting an error in Wilhelm Grunwald's original statement and proof of this.
- Yevgeny Yasin - prominent Russian economist, academic supervisor at the National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- Ying Xu - computational biologist and bioinformatician, chair professor in the Institute of Bioinformatics at the University of Georgia
- You Xiaozeng -Chinese inorganic chemist, educator and an academician of the Chinese Academy of Sciences.
- Zhou Ji (Tsinghua University) - "Changjiang Scholar" distinguished Professor, at the School of Materials Science & Engineering, of Tsinghua University
- Zhou Qifeng - Chinese chemist and academician of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, President of Peking University.
- Zhu Wenxiong - Chinese linguist.
- Zhu Guangya - renowned Chinese nuclear physicist, head and first director of Jilin University Department of Physics
- "校训". Archived from the original on 2014-07-31. Retrieved 2014-06-26.
- China-Rice Advanced Leadership Forum
- "教育部 财政部 国家发展改革委 关于公布世界一流大学和一流学科建设高校及建设 学科名单的通知 (Notice from the Ministry of Education and other national governmental departments announcing the list of double first class universities and disciplines)".
- "University in China - China Education Center". Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- "2013йѧа600ǿ-Ѻ". Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- ""985工程"学校名单". Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- ""211工程"学校名单". Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- A Survey of Jilin Province
- "ȫصѧ¼". Retrieved 15 July 2015.