Hunan University (simplified Chinese: 湖南大学; traditional Chinese: 湖南大學; pinyin: Húnán Dàxué), is a national public research university located in Changsha, Hunan, and a member of the Project 985 of Chinese universities.
Motto in English
|Seeking Truth from Facts and Daring to be Pioneers|
|Type||National, Public, Research|
|Established||976 AD (Yuelu Academy) |
1903 (modern form)
|Affiliation||Plan 111, Project 211, Project 985, Double First Class University Plan, BRICS Universities League, Association of MBAs|
|President||Duan Xianzhong (段献忠)|
|4,000 (Autumn 2019)|
|Students||36,000 (Autumn 2019)|
|Undergraduates||20,000 (Autumn 2019)|
|Postgraduates||15,000 (Autumn 2019)|
It is considered to be one of China's top-10 engineering research universities. As of 2020, the U.S. News & World Report ranks Hunan University at 48th in engineering among Best Global Universities.
In 2018, Hunan University was elected among 16 universities in the world by the academic journal Nature, called "Movers and Shakers". In October 2020, Hunan University has been selected as the National Intellectual Property Demonstration University among the first batch of 30 demonstration universities by the China National Intellectual Property Administration and the Ministry of Education of China. As of March 2021, the university has nine disciplines in the top 1% of the Essential Science Indicators (ESI) ranking released by Clarivate, including chemistry, engineering science, materials science, physics, biology and biochemistry, environmental ecology, computer science, mathematics, and social science in general and among which engineering science and chemistry have entered the top 0.1% globally.
Hunan University traces its history back to the Yuelu Academy founded in 976 AD during the Song dynasty. Shuyuan was one form of higher learning school in China; another form was government-sponsored schools including imperial central school Taixue or Guozijian and regional schools. The Yuelu Academy was a venue for Chinese scholars and their students to meet and discuss sophisticated topics in the areas of Confucian Studies.
The modern school was founded in 1897, initially called Shiwu Xuetang and in 1903 called Hunan Institute of Higher Learning. The school name Hunan University was proposed in 1912, and in 1926 Hunan University was composed of three specialized public schools of Hunan. It was renamed Central-South Institute of Civil Engineering in 1937 and then Hunan Polytechnic College. The name Hunan University was again adopted in 1949.
The calligraphy of "Yuelu Academy" was written by Emperor Zhenzong of Song in 1015, and the calligraphy of "Hunan University" was written by Mao Zedong in 1950 as soon as the People's Republic of China was founded.
For more than 1000 years, academic activities have been carrying on here. In the course of its development from Yuelu Academy to Hunan University, this long-established institution has cultivated a large number of outstanding scholars and has been honored as an "Ancient Millenarian Academy, Famous Centennial University". Additionally, Times Higher Education recognized Hunan university as "China’s oldest higher education institution".
Among its prominent alumni are Wang Fuzhi, a celebrated philosopher in Chinese history; Wei Yuan, a reformist who first advocated to learn from the West; Zeng Guofan, the first Chinese to initiate the Modernization Movement (at the time called Yangwu Yundong, a movement to imitate overseas technology and industry) and to make arrangements for a modern factory in China; Zuo Zongtang, a national hero who arranged to build China's first modern navy and took great pains to defend and develop Xinjiang; Guo Songtao, China's first ambassador to a foreign country; Cai E, a major leader in defending the Republic of China; Zhang Fengxuan, the first Chinese to set foot on the continent of Antarctica; and Ci Yungui, the chief designer of China's first super computer.
Academics and administrationEdit
The university is a national key university under the direct administration of the Ministry of Education of China, and a member of both Project 211 and Project 985. The administration is led by a CPC secretary and a president. The current secretary is Deng Wei and the president is Duan Xianzhong.
There are more than 30,000 full-time students, including more than 20,800 undergraduates and more than 14,000 graduate students.
It has the following colleges and departments:
- Business Administration
- Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
- Chinese Language and Literature
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
- Economy and Trade
- Educational Science
- Electrical and Information Engineering
- Environmental Science and Engineering
- Finance and Statistics
- Foreign Languages and International Studies
- Journalism and Communication and Film and Television Arts
- Marxism Studies
- Mathematics and Econometrics
- Materials and Engineering
- Mechanical Vehicle Engineering
- Physical Education
- Physics and Microelectronics Science
- Yuelu Academy
The dormitories for oversea students are located at Dezhi Students' Residential Area and North campus. Hunan University has started to recruit international students since 1992 and is one of the Project 985 universities in China to launch an international student program taught entirely in English. Every year, Hunan University has approximately 1,000 international students from over 108 countries and regions in the world, as well as Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macau, working for bachelor’s degrees, master’s degrees, doctoral degrees or studying the Chinese language and culture. Hunan university welcomes applications from international students to study at the university through the Self-Financed Program, the Partial Scholarship Program and the Full Scholarship Program for eligible students. More than 10% of all the international applicants have been awarded full scholarship. A number of scholarship include Distinguished Foreign Students Scholarship, Hunan Provincial Government Foreign Students Scholarship, Chinese Government Scholarship, Silk Road Scholarship Program and Confucius Institute Scholarship.
Hunan University has been active at academic exchanges, and has established academic cooperation or academic exchange programs with over 160 oversea universities and research institutes across the world since 1998. It has been honorably listed among "China's Top 10" for four consecutive years by the Ministry of Education in terms of placing the joint international education as a top priority program. Hunan University is one of the top universities in China to form the BRICS Network University, a network of the BRICS member countries' higher education institutions engaged in cooperation and joining the BRICS Network University.
Rankings and reputationEdit
The university is ranked in the top 300 large comprehensive public research universities in the world based on several most cited and reputed global university rankings such as ARWU, US News, and CWTS Leiden.
- The 2008 Times Higher Education Supplement (THES) World University Rankings ranked Hunan University as 15th in China.
- In the 2020 Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU), Hunan University is ranked at 201–300th in the world and 48–77th in Asia and Oceania region.
- As of 2020, the U.S. News ranked Hunan University as 252nd in the world, 33rd in Asia and 14th in China.
Research Strength and Subject RankingsEdit
- Hunan University ranks 14th worldwide in the 2016 Nature Index Rising Stars. In the Nature Index 2020 by Nature Research , which measures the largest groups of papers published in 82 leading high-quality science journals, based on the data from May 1, 2019, to April 30, 2020, Hunan University ranks 67th among the leading research academic institutions globally, 25th in Asia-Pacific, and 19th in China.
- Hunan University ranks 142nd globally and 53rd in Asia according to the CWTS Leiden Ranking 2021 based on the number of their scientific publications in the period 2016–2019. Looked at the proportion of their scientific publications that rank among the top 1%, 5%, and 10% in their fields by citations, Hunan University ranks 34th in the world (5th in Asia), 14th globally (3rd in Asia), and 20th in the world (2nd in Asia) respectively.
- In 2020, the Performance Ranking of Scientific Papers for World Universities ranked Hunan University at 161st globally and 33rd in Asia. It ranks 3rd globally in "Civil Engineering", 10th in "Chemical Engineering", 14th in "Mechanical Engineering", 23rd in "Chemistry", 42nd in "Computer Science", 51st in "Electrical Engineering", 52nd in "Material Science", 87th in "Mathematics", 114th in "Physics" and 151st in "Economics and Business" according to the same ranking.
- In 2020, a research paper by Loet Leydesdorff, a famous scientometrician, employs data of 205 China's leading research intensive universities, including in the Leiden Ranking 2020 to classify them into three main groups: Top, Middle, and Bottom. Hunan University (with a Z-score of 10.2) ranks 2nd only to Tsinghua University (z=11.0), which leads the "High Group of 32 Universities". These two universities' scores far exceed the third place, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (z = 6.7).
- As of 2020, it ranks 176–200th worldwide in "Business and Economics" and "Engineering and Technology" subjects and 251–300th globally in "Life Sciences" and "Physical Sciences" subjects according to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings by subjects.
- In the 2021 ARWU Global Ranking of Academic Subjects, Hunan university ranks in the global top 100 for several specific fields and subjects.
|Global – Overall|
|ARWU World||201-300 (2020)|
|CWTS World||142 (2021)|
|THE World||401-500 (2021)|
|USNWR Global||252 (2021)|
|Regional – Overall|
|USNWR Asia||33 (2021)|
|National – Overall|
|THE National||14 (2021)|
|USNWR National||14 (2021)|
|Instruments Science & Technology||27th|
|Energy Science & Engineering||51–75th|
|Environmental Science & Engineering||51–75th|
|Nanoscience & Nanotechnology||51–75th|
|Electrical & Electronic Engineering||76–100th|
|Materials Science and Engineering||76–100th|
|Automation & Control Engineering||101–150th|
|Computer Science & Engineering||101–150th|
|Transportation Science & Technology||151–200th|
|Water Resources Engineering||151–200th|
|Energy and Fuels||8th|
|Biotechnology and Applied Microbiology||22nd|
|Electrical and Electronic Engineering||68th|
|Nanoscience and Nanotechnology||90th|
|Biology and Biochemistry||169th|
|Economics and Business||250th|
- "学校简介". Archived from the original on March 7, 2015. Retrieved July 1, 2014.
- "Admonition of Hunan University". Archived from the original on July 14, 2014. Retrieved July 1, 2014.
- 湖南大学简介 (in Chinese). Hunan University. 2019. Retrieved 2020-02-18.
- "Project 211 and 985 - China Education Center". www.chinaeducenter.com.
- "ShanghaiRanking's Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2020 - Engineering | Shanghai Ranking - 2020". www.shanghairanking.com. Retrieved 2020-11-23.
- "Hunan University". nturanking.csti.tw. Retrieved 2020-11-23.
- "Best Global Universities Rankings: Hunan University". U.S. News and World Report.
- Krieger, Anja; Nogrady, Bianca; Savage, Neil; Zastrow, Mark (2018-09-19). "Movers and shakers". Nature. 561 (7723): S26–S29. doi:10.1038/d41586-018-06625-5.
- "HNU Listed as National Intellectual Property Demonstration University-湖南大学英文网". www-en.hnu.edu.cn. Retrieved 2020-10-28.
- "Introduction to Hunan University". www-en.hnu.edu.cn. Retrieved 2021-03-23.
- "学校简介-湖南大学". www.hnu.edu.cn. Retrieved 2020-10-11.
- "Introduction-湖南大学英文网". Hunan University. Retrieved 2020-05-01.
- "Hunan University". Times Higher Education (THE).
- "歙县人张逢铿博士仙逝，第一个登上南极中国人！曾4回故土，重培育儿子爱祖国爱家乡情怀！-湖南大学校友总会". xyzh.hnu.edu.cn. Retrieved 2020-10-13.
- "慈云桂：中国巨型计算机之父-科普中国". www.xinhuanet.com. Retrieved 2020-10-13.
- "全国重点大学名单". web.archive.org. 2005-06-29.
- "学校简介". Hunan University. Archived from the original on March 7, 2015. Retrieved May 3, 2019.
- "International Students at Hunan University". www.at0086.com. Retrieved 2020-11-12.
- "Degree Programs Open to Foreign Applicants in 2009-2010 Academic Year-湖南大学英文网". Hunan University. Retrieved 2020-06-28.
- "Introduction-湖南大学英文网". Hunan University. Retrieved 2020-06-29.
- "Why HNU-湖南大学英文网". Hunan University. Retrieved 2020-06-28.
- "Partial Scholarship of Hunan University-湖南大学英文网". www-en.hnu.edu.cn. Retrieved 2020-10-10.
- "Full Scholarship of Hunan University-湖南大学英文网". www-en.hnu.edu.cn. Retrieved 2020-10-10.
- "Hunan Government Website International-enghunan.gov.cn Hunan Institutions Admitting International Students Under Chinese Government Scholarship Programs". www.enghunan.gov.cn. Retrieved 2020-10-10.
- "Notice to International Students Studying in China Under Chinese Government Scholarship Program-湖南大学英文网". www-en.hnu.edu.cn. Retrieved 2020-10-10.
- "Hunan Provincial Government Scholarship | govt.chinadaily.com.cn". govt.chinadaily.com.cn. Retrieved 2020-10-10.
- "International Partners-湖南大学英文网". Hunan University. Retrieved 2020-06-28.
- "An Overview of International Cooperative Education at Hunan University-湖南大学英文网". Hunan University. Retrieved 2020-06-28.
- "BRICS Network University". nu-brics.ru. Retrieved 2020-06-28.
- "BRICS Network University". nu-brics.ru. Retrieved 2020-06-28.
- "ARWU World University Rankings 2020 | Academic Ranking of World Universities 2020 | Top 1000 universities". Shanghai Ranking. 2020. Retrieved 2020-08-15.
- Studies (CWTS), Centre for Science and Technology. "CWTS Leiden Ranking". CWTS Leiden Ranking. Retrieved 2021-06-03.
- "2020 tables: Institutions | 2020 tables | Institutions". Nature Index. Retrieved 2020-07-11.
- "URAP - University Ranking by Academic Academic Performance". www.urapcenter.org. Retrieved 2020-08-18.
- "Hunan University". nturanking.lis.ntu.edu.tw. Retrieved 2020-08-18.
- "The Top 200 World University Rankings". The Times Higher Education Supplement. 2006. Retrieved 2007-06-25.
- "Top 100 institutions | Nature Index 2016 Rising Stars | Nature Index Supplements". Nature Index. Retrieved 2020-05-13.
- "Introduction to the Nature Index". www.natureindex.com. Retrieved 2020-11-29.
- "Institution outputs". Nature Index. Retrieved 2020-07-08.
- "World University Rankings". nturanking.csti.tw. Retrieved 2020-10-11.
- "Hunan University". nturanking.csti.tw. Retrieved 2020-10-11.
- Leydesdorff, Loet; Wagner, Caroline S.; Zhang, Lin (2020-11-17). "Are University Rankings Statistically Significant? A Comparison among Chinese Universities and with the USA". arXiv:2011.08591 [cs.DL].
- "World University Rankings". Times Higher Education (THE). 2019-08-20. Retrieved 2020-05-01.
- "ShanghaiRanking-Univiersities". www.shanghairanking.com. Retrieved 2021-05-27.
- "US News Asia University Rankings 2021". Retrieved 29 November 2020.
- "Xue Xiangdong". Forbes. Retrieved October 16, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hunan University.|