List of countries by GDP (PPP) per capita
This article includes three lists of countries by gross domestic product (at purchasing power parity) per capita, i.e., the purchasing power parity (PPP) value of all final goods and services produced within a country in a given year, divided by the average (or mid-year) population for the same year.
The gross domestic product (GDP) per capita figures on this page are derived from PPP calculations. Such calculations are prepared by various organizations, including the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank. As estimates and assumptions have to be made, the results produced by different organizations for the same country are not hard facts and tend to differ, sometimes substantially, so they should be used with caution.
Comparisons of national wealth are frequently made on the basis of nominal GDP and savings (not just income), which do not reflect differences in the cost of living in different countries (see List of countries by GDP (nominal) per capita); hence, using a PPP basis is arguably more useful when comparing generalized differences in living standards between nations because PPP takes into account the relative cost of living and the inflation rates of the countries, rather than using only exchange rates, which may distort the real differences in income. This is why GDP (PPP) per capita is often considered one of the indicators of a country's standard of living, although this can be problematic because GDP per capita is not a measure of personal income. (See Standard of living and GDP)
Several economies which are not considered to be sovereign states (i.e. the world and dependent territories) are included in the list because they appear in the sources. These economies are not ranked in the following tables, but are listed in sequence for comparison. Non-sovereign entities, former countries or other special groupings are marked in italics.
List of countries and dependencies
All figures are in current Geary–Khamis dollars, more commonly known as international dollars (Int$).
|International Monetary Fund (2015)||World Bank (2011–2015)||Central Intelligence Agency (1993–2016)|
- World Economic Outlook Database, April 2016, International Monetary Fund. Database updated on 12 April 2016. Accessed on 14 April 2016.
- "Sarkozy attacks focus on economic growth (French president urges more emphasis on quality of life)", The Guardian, 14-09-2009.
- "Alternative progress indicators to Gross Domestic Product (GDP) as a means towards sustainable development"
- World Economic Outlook Database, October 2016, International Monetary Fund. Database updated on 4 October 2016. Accessed on 6 October 2016.
- "GDP per capita, PPP (current international $)", World Development Indicators database, World Bank. Database updated on 16 December 2016. Accessed on 23 December 2016.
- GDP - per capita (PPP), The World Factbook, Central Intelligence Agency. Accessed on 7 March 2014.
- The World's total GDP (PPP) figure from the IMF's World Economic Outlook Database, October 2016. Database updated on 4 October 2016. Accessed on 6 October 2016.
- The World's population figure from the World Bank's World Development Indicators database. Database updated on 3 October 2016. Accessed on 6 October 2016.
- Kosovo's total GDP (PPP) figure from the IMF's World Economic Outlook Database, October 2016. Database updated on 4 October 2016. Accessed on 6 October 2016.
- Kosovo's population figure from the World Bank's World Development Indicators database. Accessed on 6 October 2016.
- The World's total GDP (PPP) figure from the World Bank's World Development Indicators database. Database updated on 16 December 2016. Accessed on 23 December 2016.